Who's getting a Ricochet?

i think they are on a downfall. They missed the penalty kick and the refs didn’t give them the 2 point conversion.

I’m getting reacquainted with the throwing world, and the last time I was super into it was 1998. Obviously plenty has changed.

I’d love to know if there are videos out there detailing the birth of a yoyo, from conception to emergence into the marketplace. I really enjoyed CLYW’s blog posts about how the Summit was put together, so I’m wondering if there are more documentations of creation such as that.

@yoyofactoryben: It’d be awesome if you guys put together a small video detailing the Ricochet. Heck, I wish all companies would/could do this, especially on highly anticipated and/or flagship models.

Don’t mean to derail the thread a bit, but considering the topic has turned into manufacturing blows and woes, I feel it’s a decent time to ask.

Just to change the conversation topic for a moment - given that you may have some answers to this yoyofactoryben, what made decide to branch into Titanium with an undersized throw if you don’t mind me asking? The specs don’t suit me, but you’ll happily sell out the units, so it won’t change the number you sell, which gives you the opportunity to make any size. The fact that this is your first foray into Titanium, was there something about the undersized thing that appealed with Titanium? It’s my opinion, and I should stress opinion, that more people are throwing larger throws these days so this is an interesting choice to me, and maybe limits those who will pick it up? Like I said this won’t effect you selling all the units, I’m just intrigued, especially given that the weight is not as low as I might have expected based on the diameter.

Yup. Cost. To get it where we got it $199 we needed a volume, and if we made it bigger it would have cost more pre unit and we would have had a second problem of decreased volume making it even more expensive. If people LOVE it, you know our next one will be full sized. If people don’t love it there wont be a next one.

welcome back to yoyo!

This one would have been LONG and boring video.

Ill give you the  story (with a slant to the way this topic went)… but if you want to skip that and watch something more fun here is a video of the day we prototyped a different yoyo :slight_smile:

Boring story…

2007 we started sampling titanium yoyos, (embarrassing first look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZX4eAcoMm8 )

2008 we used the material for the first time.  $460 (Catch 22 Yo-Yo: At $460 It'd Better Walk MY Dog)

2009 we got samples made, a few people threw them at BAC but $300 mini titanium yoyos werent something we could thought the market would have a taste for. We obviously didn’t have our costs right and couldn’t get it there. We shelved it.

Between 2009 and 2012 we kept an eye on the market and a finger on costs. If someone with a machine shop in say Michigan (random state selected, please take no offense Michigan yoyo producers) decided to make titanium yoyos and sell them direct for $10 more than their cost we will look like chumps trying to sell yo-yos for a true reflection of the cost. We got  a yoyo we were happy with over a year ago and finally it all lined up, cost, margins are within acceptable for us and our retailers (who we think do a fantastic job serving customers). We believe there will be a demand… and why shouldn’t there be. Titanium yoyos are awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been a very interesting read…
I won’t be getting one, cause I can’t afford one. But I will be getting a onestar! any estimate on the drop date for them on yye?

Agreed! It was a fun read. There’s literally hundreds of Champions Collection Onestars on YYE right now!

I don’t think I’m man enough to throw a pink one, I’m waiting for the white one!

Don’t have enough cash. :’(.

The whole reason I got on this thread was because I was excited to get a Ricochet. First Titanium for me. Ended up detouring down the wrong road, took time away from throwing:-)! I’ll let you know how the Ricochet is…soon.

While I’m not interested in the Richochet, I’d be interested to hear how you end up enjoying this model.

I look forward to reading it when you get the chance to post up something about it.

YOYOEXPERT EDIT:
Edited in an effort to stop further fighting - thanks for understanding

/end detour

As for the Ricochet itself, I am not a fan of the design so I will not be picking it up. It is hard to tell in the pictures f it has an IGR and I do not like the hub design in the cup. Also, the rims look uncomfortable, they could use a little radius at the edge to curve them inwards and add to the comfort. About the only thing I do like is the size, I am a fan of undersized yo-yos.

Am I the only one who was hoping this was a titanium Catalyst when the first pics surfaced? I think it was the font of the engraving.

Let’s keep this a positive thread moving forward from either side that wants to argue.

The Ricochet is one of the few Titanium yo-yos currently on the market and YoYoFactory did a great job bringing a classic undersized shape to Titanium.

3 Likes

Meh, it looks bad.

It’s also really hard to take a decent picture of a shiny, reflective surface and show any small detail like engraving without distortion. It’s likely that the engraving looks fine in person and is really hard to photograph. Haven’t gotten mine yet, so this is just a guess…but I know YYF isn’t in the habit of letting crappy engraving out the door.

1 Like

Back on topic though, quite excited about mine. Should be arriving Thursday morning (which is Wednesday night for you state side folk)

Yuki

I’ve been taking pictures of my collection. My TI5 was a pain the photograph. It seems titanium is a difficult material to photograph when a yoyo is made out of it. I had a difficult time getting the engraving on mine to show up very well. I’m not a photographer, so it was extra hard. I think in the end I did a decent job with my limited skill set.

I would say to anyone interested in them, focus on the shape and lines. I can’t imagine the engraving being poorly done.

For me, this just isn’t a yoyo that connects with me. That’s how it goes sometimes. There’s other yoyos made by YYF that I don’t care for either, but that doesn’t make them any less amazing. Keep those preferences in mind. Not every yoyo connects with all players.

I’m positive though these yoyos are going to have a short wait on shop shelves. I think it’s mostl a formality: Comes from YYF in a box, gets inventoried, put on shelf, activated on the web site as for sale, sold, put in a box and sent to a new home to be enjoyed forever!

That’s my problem… I will only spark if I get a second one. And $400 is a punch in my stomach. :stuck_out_tongue:

$450 retail.