Who is getting a yeti?

Except Ferrari are actually better then Hondas.

Look if you donā€™t like the price donā€™t get the yoyo but donā€™t complain if clyw goes out of business because people arenā€™t willing to dish out a little more money for it. And the comment above just proved my point Ferrari is better than Honda and always will be just like clyw is and hopefully remain making better and more sought after yoyos than most people on the market

But CLYW isnā€™t better, thatā€™s the point, they make fine yoyos, and put a lot of time and effort into their image, so if youā€™re into that theyā€™re great, but as far as actual play goes many yoyos do it just as well or better for less money. I want a Yeti, and have the means to buy one, but just canā€™t pull the trigger for that price, maybe iā€™ll grab one on the B/S/T eventually.

CLYW Yeti Story ā€¦

We make the black Yetis ā€¦ thinking oh yes these are going to be so easy to assemble since the prototypes were. Little did I know what 2000 plastic halves actually looked like.

So Charles and I give it a go. Sanding each half. Test assembling each half, matching them making sure everything goes smoothly ā€¦ and we complete about 30 in one day.

Awful ā€¦ something needs to change. That is when I start saying, OMG I just donā€™t have enough time to do this, Iā€™m way over my head here. I love how I am being painted as a bad guy by deciding this.

Anyways ā€¦

During the same time our manufacturer is working on the coloured run. We get them to start sanding the halves and polishing them. The material works way better and it is so much easier to match halves. Charles and I finish about 100 in one day. We high 5! WOOO!

So now we have black halves sitting here and coloured halve sitting here ā€¦ so which ones should I start on? Hmmmm ā€¦ the ones that are easier and go smoother of course.

So weā€™ve decided to ship the black ones back to the manufacturer to sand them, and we probably wonā€™t get them back until January. These ones are so hard to match halves though. So hopefully we can get at least half of them to go.

Weā€™re dying here, at the end of the day after testing yetis our arms are burning, our hands ache. We wake up and start all over again ā€¦ hoping that we grew some muscles in our palms or that the forearm ache doesnā€™t turn into tennis elbow.

Itā€™s just two of us and we managed to assemble 440 Yetis over a week leading up to the release and now most of them are all gone. Weā€™re feeling pretty good about that, like all of the hard work was worth it!

We priced these at a price that matched the play/quality, plus the amount of work that goes into them. Plus to do the coloured plastic it adds about $5-6 per Yeti for us compared to the black ones (which is probably more then it the costs per yoyo to make a mass produced plastic in China). Itā€™s not like we just grab them off a shelf and put them together and toss it in a box. There is a lot of work that goes into these.

I guess I should end with, Iā€™m sorry. Sorry for trying something different.

Chris

PS: To those that picked one up thank you so much we love you! To those that were expecting Black Yetis for so long and never got one, Iā€™m sorry. Just had no other option.

16 Likes

Chris(At Caribou):

Donā€™t apologize. You have nothing to apologize for.

The situation is what it is and you did the best with what resources you had.

People are impatient. They want ā€œnowā€ and they want ā€œfastā€ and they want ā€œcheapā€. They also donā€™t care about the details as long as they get what they want when they want. They donā€™t see anything past the cost of materials.

I look forward to the three items in my recent order(which shipped today), which includes a Yeti.

Too bad Iā€™m not closer. Iā€™d love to cross the border and hang out and help out in any way possible. It would be fun, great learning and a wonderful experience. One more set of arms and hands gaining knowledge and skills to help out is a good thing. Iā€™ll leave the offer there, but I know it wonā€™t work out due to where I am and where you are.

I speak only for myself:

Thank you.

1 Like

No need to apologize, seriously. If it is your company you should decide the prices and the colors that are released. I am very amazed how much you care about giving people what they ask for. Not taking into account the sacrificed time and effort to do this with ONLY 2 people. If people do not want them they should not buy them, simple as that. Anyways, I cannot wait to get my yeti!! Thank you for making great yoyos! ;D

Itā€™s funny, I have been having the same argument over in another thread on the Yeti and other CLYW products.

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,67161.msg763098.html#msg763098

People need to stop kvetching over the prices and vote with their wallets. If there is a CLYW out there I want I will find a way, either by purchasing it outright like I did with my Yeti or trade for it like I did with my Glacier Express. Yoyo companies are not required to price their brands low for to satisfy the cheap people in the community. As Studio42 pointed out, there are many inexpensive yoyos that will work just as well as the expensive counterparts. The Yeti is a high end plastic using exotic materials and assembled by hand in order to keep a tight handle on quality control. Just because it does not have the machined outer wall and metal inlays of the Rally does not mean it isnā€™t as meticulously assembled. In my opinion, it is worth the money even at $55. If I wasnā€™t devoting my spare cash to Christmas presents for my kids I would b jumping all over one of the purple onesā€¦ I hope there is one waiting for me after the holidays. If not then I will be hitting up the BST with gusto.

Chris, you have nothing to apologize for. Itā€™s your company and you can distribute your product in any fashion you see fit at any price you see fit.

I think the price of the Yeti is excessive but at the end of the day my money does the speaking and on Friday my money said ā€œI NEED A BLUE YETI!!!ā€ and if I enjoy it I may very well pick up a light grey one or a purple one (if there will be more stocked at some point). When I say excessive, I just mean from my own arbitrary mental dollar value that I assign to yoyos. It truthfully makes no difference to me whether your profit margin is $1 or $54 on a $55 Yeti, $55 is just objectively a lot for a plastic yoyo relative to the competiton. That said, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this $55 plastic ends up bringing me more pleasure than a number of my $100+ metals so despite it being a ā€œworseā€ dollar value, it will be a better value for me personally.

Frankly, I think all the people complaining about CLYW prices and this and that are a case of ā€œbad press is better than no pressā€. If nobody was talking about CLYW then it would mean nobody cares. People love your company and your product and Iā€™m sure the sales reflect that. Some people may hate simply because they want your product and canā€™t afford it. Thatā€™s just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Your metals occupy what is actually a fairly uncommon $125-155 price range with most companiesā€™ premium throws occupying a $90-115 or $200+ range so the extra cash for CLYW may be just out of range for some.

Quick quiz. Help me out. Iā€™m puzzled.

How many people here who insist on trying to undermine EVERY single thing Chris does:

1. Have a mortgage or rent payment.
  2. Have a family.
  3. Canā€™t run home to mom when you run out of money.
  4. Have a very basic understanding of what it is to have to actually live beyond the impulse of the moment. To try and built a future for yourself and your loved ones.
  5. Have any true responsibility.
  6. Have the slightest bit of respect for the effort and passion of others.

Many of you seem to get it. Others of you are probably overly enthusiastic and support CLYW just 'cuz. But those of you who insist on hatingā€¦constantly making snide commentsā€¦acting with a shocking level of entitlementā€¦make me sad.

Iā€™m hardly asking anyone to love CLYW. I could care less about one individualā€™s taste in a toy. However, the ad hominem attacks are just an embarrassment to yourselves.

Please do take care,
-bpg

Note: (added as an edit) Not many of the really frequent ā€œhatersā€ are on this thread. However, Iā€™m guessing youā€™ve seen enough to know the type of people Iā€™m referring to.)

1 Like

Calm your nipples people. Maybe there is some good to come with this CLYW black Friday sale.

1 Like

Iā€™m excited for mine to come in!! Thank you so much Chris for all your hard work :smiley:

I got one and I want a black one as well.
I keep missing release dates and having to die at the hands of the BSTers later onā€¦

I have a purple Yeti on the way as well as some other new throws from Chris and co. Honestly the Yeti is worth it. I have already said this all over this forum, but I absolutely love my black Yeti. Iā€™ve purchased/traded for probably 6-8 high end metals since obtaining my first Yeti and the Yeti is still my daily throw. Itā€™s amazing, absolutely worth AT LEAST $55.

Thanks, Chris and Chuck. Itā€™s a great product and I canā€™t wait to have a second.

Why would you even bother to suggest 100+ plastic yoyos? Why not just stick to the actual pricing of the Yeti currently available? Projecting a possible future price for plastic yoyos, has absolutely no substance/worth in this thread.

Why didnā€™t you just go waaaaay out and say, 'Whatā€™s next, 200+ plastic yoyos? Lol

ā€¦And you remember when Chris had projected 40 to 45 dollar Yetis. Shocking to think Chris May have Failed the Test for his Crystal Ball permit and maybe made a miscalculation. But you were on board and defended his price when you thought the Yoyo would be 10 dollars less? So even though you have no idea what hoops Chris had to jump through to make the Yetis ā€˜happenā€™, and even knowing the colored Yetis cost several dollars more, you would throw the Guy under the Bus for the price of a Combo meal at McDonalds?

I would say more, but since he already posted his Story in this thread, that pretty much covers ā€˜itā€™.

3 Likes

http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/_resampled/cabinetlarge-PedroYetiFrances.jpg

^ These guys got one.

Personally its always iffy having to order from abroad as I almost always get stung by customs. If they were the same price in a UK store Iā€™d probably end up buying one, but the shipping costs + the inevitable customs charge will just end up ramping the price up even more. I got stung for $65.00 customs on my Draupnir, so I really wouldnā€™t like to pay $120+ for a Yetiā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

@bpg: Mate, relax. I read through every post here and I donā€™t see any ā€œhateā€. People are entitled to give their opinion on the price point of any throw, and have done so in a pretty honest and fair way. Jeteyenightā€™s post was probably the most intense, but all he asked was where the black Yetiā€™s were and Chris answered. Nobody in this thread has thrown any kind of personal attack at Chris, so thereā€™s no need to blow this out of proportion.

@Gambitā€¦yeah, the amplitude of my note far exceeds the chatter on this thread. However, I have seen enough of your name around to be certain that your aware of the chorus of wackjobs croaking from their pond.

So pardon my cumulative frustration with the multiple threads here and constant nonsense on FB.

do good, and be wellā€¦

-bpg

I can understand that people may not be pleased with the price of the yoyo.

I actually find it amusing that people are complaining about the shipping. Service is a service and unfortunately, Canada Post is still expensive, even though itā€™s the cheapest among any courier service in Canada.

You guys have to take it into accountā€¦ For Canadians that want to purchase yoyoā€™s, where the term ā€œyoyoā€ is trademarked and retailers are next to none, we have to pay much more for shipping from international companies.

Sā€™all good mate. Itā€™s all true stuff, I just didnā€™t want the thread to get too derailed. :slight_smile:

People no need for all this nonsense.

Thought process of buying a yeti.

Step 1. Do you want one? If yes process to step 2 if no move on.
Step 2. Can I afford the $55? If yes hit the submit order button and move on. If no donā€™t whine and complain just move onā€¦

Nobodyā€™s forcing you to buy anything. If you donā€™t like it move onā€¦
Considering 3/4 colors of the yetis sold out in less then a few days Chris and the gang must be doing something right.

Thanks guys.

Especially ridiculous since Chris was offering free shipping.

1 Like