Who Invented the Trick?

Did Kohta Watanabe create the fingerspin?

I know he was one of the original pioneers at least.

Bump, @jakebullock just posted a screen shot of this thread and @vegabomb post on IG. Also this link is still hot after all these years http://www.yo-yo.org/SpinWizard/SpinWizard/string_trick_list.htm

What would be some of the newer tricks to update this list? I notice no mention of horizontal play. I know @DocPop is all over it along with Paul Escolar.

@Adam_Brewster has @yyfben2.deactivated listed for Cold Fusion but the Spin Wizard list has Cold Fusion as @YOHANS, maybe there is some YYF beef we don’t know about.

fun discussion.

4 Likes

@Exmime Cold Fusion was an assembly line of components created by quite a few people…and it all started with Bill DeBoisblanc. He was in Chico at the US Nationals in 1997 doing the “right under left under” and asking people “is this anything?” The next breakthrough came when the Turbo Bumble Bee came on the market. It was the first yoyo that had a bearing that allowed the yoyo to easily slip/slide on the string and easily return to the hand like a wooden yoyo. Julius walked off the plane at sky harbor returning from Singapore and said “hey look at this” and did a front bottom mount, leveled out his hands in front of him and zipped the Turbo Bumble Bee back and forth on the string between his distanced index fingers. I said “hey you should zing it forward and cast all that energy into a pinwheel around your finger it would look cool”. I told Julius he should call it the Zipper (didnt know that the Zipper name had been coined for a trick in the Yonomicon sorry Mark) Then I showed it to @yyfben2.deactivated Ben turned it sideways into a side mount and started piecing together the steps. Then Ben named the trick Cold Fusion and then named the YoYo (I sketched the logo) and marketing history was made.

13 Likes

Credit @drewtetz with Kickflip Suicide, Makin’ Da Zines, and Dumptrucks just to name a few crucial modern 0a tricks!

Also @yohans that is AMAZING! Only ever heard a fraction of that history.

6 Likes

Looking more at the String Trick list from Spin Wizards. I don’t even know what some of these mounts are? What would make a mount Wet? @Tricksyouforgot44 do you have any thoughts?

Mounts:

1. 1 1/2 Mount
  2. Behind the Back Bottom Mount
  3. Behind the Back Split Bottom Entry
  4. Behind the Back Trapeze
  5. Blair Mount
  6. Bucket
  7. Bottom Mount
  8. Cross Mount
  9. Double or Nothing
  10. Double Wet Mount
  11. Double Wrist Mount
  12. Houdini Drop Hold ( a.k.a. Kamikaze mount )
  13. Into the New
  14. Mirror Double or Nothing
  15. Morbid Style Mount
  16. Motorcycle Mount
  17. Over/Under Mount ( a.k.a. H-Bomb Mount )
  18. Rabid Mount
  19. Reverse Double or Nothing
  20. Reverse Wrist Mount
  21. Rock the Baby Mount
  22. Sick Mount
  23. Skin the Cat Mount
  24. Split Bottom Entry
  25. Trapeze
  26. Trapeze�s Brother
  27. Trapeze Twist ( a.k.a. Twist Style Mount )
  28. Triple or Nothing
  29. Wet Mount
  30. Wrist Mount

I put the ones I have know idea in Bold

Thanks for bumping this thread super interesting .

1 Like

Hmmmm… :thinking:

2 Likes

Some of those are wicked old. The Duncan demonstrators had the string tricking abilities in the 50s and 60s. So trapeze, front mount, split bottom, brother mount, double or nothing, those are incredibly deep in the ether.

Most of these I don’t know. Think only one I got off the top of my head is one of the spin doc club guys came up with the wrist mount, then Paul Escolar was the first to hit the mount and then do the standard trapeze dismount that everyone does. I think at one point I knew who on the bucket mount but blanking on that right now.

4 Likes

Redundant? :grin:

I no, typo…

1 Like

Rest easy Paul Escolar, he passed away today at an age too young.

3 Likes

To think we were just casually talking about him 4 days ago then he passes away. Live life to the fullest, each day could be our last.

3 Likes