Who Invented the Trick?

some other thoughts…

Doc Pop: Gyroscopic Flop, The Matrix, Purple Monkey Dishwasher, The Letter ‘A’, Moebius style, Washing Machine Style, Sumo Style…

Chris Neff: Meltdown

2 Likes

^ Thank you! Good ones. I saw a video of Brian Melford doing his “Mel Hops” today.

how about…
Adam Brewster: Tether, Folding Gates, the Final Fantasy Series (including Deep Dungeon - one of my favorites) :wink:

3 Likes

Branding is also one of Doc Pop’s tricks.

im fairly certain Jason Lee created figure 8’s

Jason Lee - Protrusion
Gary Longoria - Seasick

These are all that come to mind right now.

Chuck Short invented the Houdini Drop as well as ripcord and taffy puller

1 Like

especially since I don’t remember them anymore myself… haha

(well, mostly)

Hmm I should try to relearn and re-shoot this video now that I have a better camera…

Also note, this video was missing the trick from FF6 - Kefka’s Tower
Can be seen here:

Also, since I’m tooting my own horn (if anyone cares) I also came up with Popcorns, Portals, Throwback Regens, and Gunshots - but I haven’t seen anyone else pick them up and do something with them… (a challenge? - go!)

2 Likes

Also:

Drew Tetz and Sid Seed really pioneered Archery (3+ finger chopsticks tricks)
Drew also has come up with crazy nuts 5A wrap techniques and the best fixie trick ever - Kickflips!!
Drew also came up with String eating

Anyone know who came up with 5A Tangler?

I know Derrick Walker (aka Ignitus) came up with a weird variation but it’s not a “real” tangler.
Derrick also came up with some of the first regen variations I ever saw - not to mention “Follow”

Colin Leland came up with String Barfing - Mark Allen is the only person I’ve ever really seen do anything with it though.

Speaking of Mark “The Sentinel” Allen, he also pioneered String Rejections like it was his job.

Henry Dineen came up with on-string isolations - aka Henry Rolls

3 Likes

Where did you see it?

I always associated 5A tangler with Dana Bennett. But I’m from Maine, so that’s probably not right. I’ve been wondering this one myself for a while.

The yoyo wiki says he popularized it, but it had been done before

Hey, I saw it on Youtube more than 6 months ago…before we met. It popped up in a related yo-yo trick search. I’m going to learn it, and see if you will give my technique the thumbs up next time I see you :smiley:

I’ve been watching it lately to learn it.

1 Like

I don’t believe yoyowiki. :stuck_out_tongue: He sure does it like it was his invention  :smiley: Someone mentioned Chuck Short, so I’ll try to get him in here too. Cool information.

Adam Brewster always comes through with the knowledge (and is a trick innovator in his own right). I love tracing the genealogy of yoyo tricks and styles, Escolar and Berry always seem to loom large.

I think I posted this up in the old YYN thread, and now www.yo-yo.org is gone. At least there is the internet archive to pull it back, a fantastic trick creation list:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080513135138/http://www.yo-yo.org/SpinWizard/SpinWizard/string_trick_list.htm

I’ve got a file with these lists saved now and I wish there was a stable place for all this great info on the internet (yoyowiki?).

2 Likes

^ That list is huge. Miguel Correa is credited on the list with a ton of tricks :o I agree that there should be an encyclopedia of tricks, such as that list, but expanded with information from here and Vegabomb’s old YYN thread, and it should posted somewhere and kept safe and intact, with some credible updates as needed.

Thanks.

1 Like

This is a good idea for a topic of discussion, and “for the record” my “houdini drop” story is that I was doing this before I saw anyone else doing it, but Mark Mcbride has always been credited with “inventing” it, and he DID, but I just happened to, as well, independently, haha, that happens… :slight_smile:
Mark Mcbride definitely named it houdini drop, my name for it was “tada!”

That is the same story with “taffy puller” Both Blake Freeman and I spontaneously came up with this same move, he called his “sleeping bag”…This was one of the things I was featured doing in the Super Yo “kickin tricks” video… We have both also come to understand that doing this trick really jacks up the string on an unresponsive yo-yo!

As for Rip Cord, it would almost take my life story to tell you how I came up with this trick, named it, and then FORGOT all about it until my friend Spike reminded me of it less than a year ago. I had NO idea this trick had transcended into a bind, and found a new and continued use and purpose beyond a transitional ,sneaky little move. Pretty proud of that… and we are not through!!!

I have a lot of these compiled on the old yoyoguy.com forum archives and I actually started this up again on another forum, so I can contribute a great many of these, let me put some thought in it, and I will move what I have there over here so we can "officially continue it here, I think for the interest of history, that people should be credited for their contributions!

4 Likes

Eli hops guy’s last name is Bailin… Thad did not invent drop in the bucket, a guy named Clay from southern California did, I believe is last name was Walker. Alfred Pacheco is the Mach 5 guy for sure, and I saw that Sky Kiyabu was credited with boing-e-boing, which is kind of true, but the trick was an expansion of a trick by Cliff Coleman, which was in turn an extension of a trick by juggler Dan Holzman. I think the “official” designation should be a shared credit between Sky and Cliff… (and me, but haha, I was just kind of standing there, but I helped a littttttle bit, so long story, Sky, Cliff, Dan and Chuck, shorter story Cliff and Sky, and short story just Sky. I THINK< since we are doing this and it may turn in to more, that Cliff deserves his fair share of the credit, it is a pretty significant thing… That is my recommendation, "boing-e-boing Sky Kiyabu and Cliff Coleman…

4 Likes

I am curious and would like to see an enumerated list of yoyo tricks and their creators.

Example:
Kwijibo - Taylor Whitley
Superman - Jason Lee
Seasick - Jeff Longoria
White Buddha - Paul Escolar

Etc. Etc.

3 Likes

Gyroscopic flop - Doc Popular

1 Like