Who has an Affogato de Lotiempo Onedrop M1?

It is the one that got away from me for two reasons. The M1 is my perfect pocket throw. It’s just plain fun to play and fits perfectly in the pocket, and it doesn’t play gimmicky if that makes sense.

Secondly, it was made by the guy that was Vendettas mentor, and it shows. I’ve never seen an acid wash as beautiful. The swirls of brown, the dash of emerald green, whomever decided to put such an epic amount of work onto the first budget metal yoyo is my hero (looking at you @da5id )

I’ve owned two in my lifetime, and had to let them go to take care of my kids (no regrets), but now that I’m in better shape, I’m on the hunt.

So even if you’re not interested in getting rid of it, drop some pics because each one is different, and an absolutely beautiful piece of art.

Found an old pic of mine from the BST, sold it for 59 bucks, lol.

20 Likes

Hmm… for some reason I always thought Justin actually did the ano on these due to the name Lotiempo being Justin’s last name. But just now googling his name is actually Lotempio. I woulda bet money (and lost) that his last name was Lotiempo. Anyone know the story behind the name then?

3 Likes

I’ve likely misspelled the name of my lover (yoyo) here.

Rick is the name of the dude that was his mentor that did these. He did the Fire Swirl and Earth Swirl Peaks as well.

Didn’t realize that was Vendettas last name, so maybe Rick was tipping his hat to his prodigy and favorite dessert? Just guessing, lol.

1 Like

I believe it was named after coffee. I traded mine to a guy across the pond. I also thought vendetta did this ano.

4 Likes

Yea affogato is a coffee drink. @Grendel Did you think Justin’s last name was Lotiempo?

3 Likes

I only met him once, with his wife at Nats. He came with one drop. I never learned his last name.
What happened to him?

3 Likes

Not sure.

@da5id can you give us insight on the origin of this name?

5 Likes

Here are the Fire and Earth Swirl Peaks he did.

18 Likes

The “official” name was, Lo Tiempio De Affogato M1. It was named after the coffee because of it’s appearance and If I remember correctly Justin was also really into brewing artisanal coffee at the time too. I think you’re right about it being his mentor that did them. I remember Justin shared some photos of a dert, a peak and an eetsit with similar ano job on them as well that weren’t done by Justin.

I too had one of these and traded it off :man_facepalming: It was such an awesome finish. I really wish there was a way to do it again. There were some pretty killer ano jobs back in the day. Good luck on your search! I hope you find one!

Here are a few more shots of it from the OD archive.

15 Likes

Imgur

I honestly always believed that the Affogato made by Vendetta.
Those yoyos since the first I saw them have remained in my memory as a milestone and something unrepeatable!
Many years later, when I saw the second run of Generalyo’s Prestige made by Gruntbull, my thoughts immediately went to the Affogato … of many years before … made by a hobbyist at his home and not by a professional with a dedicated structure and specific machines… amazing when you think about it!
Honestly, and respecting everyone else’s work, I think that in the yoyo arena, Affogato remains the highest point ever to be touched in anodizing.

9 Likes

@cowmamba and @persson I very much appreciate what you brought to the table here.

Maybe we can resurrect @Vendetta for some more background on Rick

I agree that it is the Pinnacle of perfection when it comes to anno work.

And agreed that the second general yo run on prestiges was soooo good. Now to hunt down one of those as well.

4 Likes

This thread got me thinking about some of the other anos that they’ve done in the past that seem like the same or similar process but with different color combinations.

The rebirth deschutes (brown multi) and Willamette Valley (green multi)

1to1 oil and water and estuary

I would have sworn they had done a coffee themed dingo or y-factor too but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. There was a cafe racer that had similar tones but it wasn’t washed the same way. I was also thinking about the saturday market, some of the older ones looked very similar to this finish too if you look at how the colors blend together.

14 Likes

sorry, as for the name, this is / was by Brett Grimes and if you see the name indicated by OneDrop it is Affogato De LoTempio

Imgur

5 Likes

Scratched

3 Likes

Brett just took the photo and made a wallpaper as far as I can remember. I don’t think he had any other role in it. Perhaps he did come up with the name on the OD forum but I do not recall that happening. He used to co-own highspeed yoyo and would make wallpapers from time to time out of the yoyos he was reviewing so I’m pretty certain that was all that happened on his end. We used to have a wallpaper thread on the forum and he made quite a few of them. He also did custom airbrush for a while too but that doesn’t apply to this thread.

4 Likes

I had a Y-Factor that was a copper-wood looking anno. Was it the same guy? Or, Vendetta?

2 Likes

My weekender has the same type of swirl pattern but different color. The 48 hour edition from @DocPop maybe he knows more about it as well

4 Likes

Funny you bring it up, I had one as well (traded for a Ronin which also had a sick acid wash), y factor pictured bottom right, copper wood No idea if anyone mentioned up to this point did the work on it.

I’m actually pretty curious whom onedrop has been using for their work most of the time? I really miss the fade to jade pictured as well (got a 28 stories wooly marmot for it)

5 Likes

10 Likes

I almost certainly think it was done by GruntBull

3 Likes