What's your worst injury from yoyoing?

Oof, sorry to hear. Is that three stitches?!

4 Likes

Yeah 3 stitches. The before pictures were quite a bit worse so I decided not to post them. I will say CLYW makes a sturdy throw haha!

3 Likes

I think I win this forever. Last week at Nats after a successful run of my routine on stage in front of a HYPE crowd I leapt offstage in victory only to land fully on my left heel and blow it out. Orthopedic surgery left me with seven screws and a plate:

Pretty much established as the worst injury ever sustained in the history of yo-yo competition

9 Likes

Omg, I don’t know what to say other than good job at being the best at something?! I’m so sorry to hear and way to go out with a bang. Hopefully you can be back on your feet soon! :crossed_fingers:

Do you think you’ll compete in the future, or at least have a little more mellow stage presence?

4 Likes

Already planning to go back next year just No jump offstage at the end!

3 Likes

Is this on video? If so you definitely win.

2 Likes

I haven’t found anyone who caught the leap offstage on video but first hand witnesses such as Luke Renner, Bill deBoisblanc, Gentry Stein and our very own Andre Boulay were there to see it firsthand among others. It was a very public F up.

3 Likes

I hope you feel better and heal up fast!

2 Likes

Oh snap that was you?

I was judging and remember a mid air leap and thinking, “that landing gonna hurt.” Wow that hurt more than I thought it would.

4 Likes

Yep Connor that was me!

2 Likes

What category and day was it?

1 Like

Over 40 category Saturday my routine is at1:28 - they don’t track the leap offstage but you get a sense of my excitement at the end. Fond memories of when I could walk last…

8 Likes

Interestingly I was fearing a Jensen moment which totally happened I forgot my routine immediately at the start despite literally hundreds of run throughs. There was supposed to be a series of black hops like hops at the start instead of just the repeated gerbil skinning which cost me some points and I didn’t move on stage at all which also cost me - either of those items fixed would’ve put me clearly in third. But I went from just not wanting to embarrass myself when I decided to enter to considering I might place by the end of all the work I put in. So I was so excited to have hit the routine without any giant mess ups. I was also riding a manic high because Dave Schulte had asked me to sign this book of his right in front of Dale Oliver and so I just had too much energy in my 53 year old body. Doesn’t help that Myles Gregory and Theo Munoz are homies so their energy rubbed off.

5 Likes

Nice routine. Did you have a good time? Other than the landing.

2 Likes

So fantastic it was such a great vibe by the second day my wife was already saying she wanted to come to Nats every year. I met pretty much everyone you would want to meet everyone was so cool it was a great atmosphere yo-yo in every corner so there was a session to join at any minute and it was just a great time. It was my first time ever attending a competition and shortly after deciding to attend I decided I might as well compete since I have never done that in my life either.

The hilarious thing is I’ve also never broken a bone in my life - this is the first of that too. So in a way it’s just all this amazing story that is gonna be fine in the end and a good topic of conversation with friends next year!

6 Likes

This was so exciting to watch. I can feel it!!

5 Likes

Nice job on stage, buddy!

3 Likes

A bloody nose from a snagged breakaway and a cut elbow from a snagged up 3a throw. Ouch.

1 Like

Hit myself in the face at club today and cut open my eyebrow :joy: no stitches but very embarrassing

9 Likes