What's your favourite string? (And some specific questions regarding markmont and airetic, zipline strings)

Hey guys, so I’ve been especially interested in strings recently and I have a few questions regarding a few string brands I’m curious about.

So I’ve been a kitty/sochi user ever since I started yoyoing just like everyone else. I started off with the older version of kitty fat, moved onto sochi fat/normal and most recently I got the new kitty string XL (first class) to try them out.

I’ve enjoyed most strings but personally I thought most of the strings I’ve used so far felt similar to each other until I ordered a boutique yoyo. First I got the bequest legacy which came with the markmont cumulus foam. This string is the first string that really made me think strings really make a difference. It’s so thick, feels rope-like and because of that it’s very whippy and retains its tension well thanks to the fact that it’s twisted extremely tightly. Because of this, I’ve been interested in all of the markmont formula strings and just ordered 10 of each long lasting markmont string.

I also recently got an Exia and as many of you might know, it comes with an airetic string. Holy hell this string is soft. The bulk string I used to use felt like slightly tactile strings while the markmont felt like a rope, but this is on the other end of the spectrum, feeling like paracord and I can’t feel the twist of the string at all. It’s just so slick and feels like some sort of smooth and soft cord.

The one thing I realized the most when using these boutique strings were just how long these things last. Kitty string frayed a lot after a day of heavy play and it would become crinkled over time. I tend to like broken in string because I like stiff, non-bouncy string but since breaking in kitty string made them crinkly and twisty, it wouldn’t stay neutral in terms of string tension. Also, bulk string would become thinner over time as they stretched out which made them slipper with binds which I didn’t like. I really like consistent binds and broken in kitty XL wasn’t able to stay consistent with binds, so I was in a dilemma.

With airetic and markmont strings, these issues were resolved immediately.

First of all, markmont cumulus foam strings are already wound extremely tight, which meant that they were stiff out of the box without needing to break them in. Also, they don’t stretch out over time, which means that they retain their thickness. Because of this, the string doesn’t’ go slippy over time unlike most bulk string I’ve used.

Airetic is like magic. I don’t know how they got something so soft but durable at the same time. Markmont cumuls foam would fray a bit over time (although the feel of the string is preserved no matter how heavily I would play it) but airetic string just doesn’t seem to fray. It looks and feels as fresh as it was when it was new.

I love durable string and I like that I don’t have to switch them so often when I used bulk. Also, I love the consistency of their play. I recently ordered 10 strings each of markmont’s long lasting string (the ones advertised to last 1+ years) and I’m excited to try them out.

On the other hand, I heard that airetic are currently out of production as their string making rig became dysfunctional. This really bummed me out. This is why I’ve been curious about zipline strings since I’ve heard people saying that they last long and are extremely smooth like airetic strings. I heard that the zipline skyline strings are the closest thing to airetic right now.

Now here’s where my curiosity comes in:

What’s the most durable string that you used so far?

My criteria for durability is:

• Consistency in play after months of playtime

• Consistency in length/thickness after months of playtime

• Ability to hold tension

• Reusability when washed

Here are some strings I’m interested in so I would highly appreciate if any of you can provide any insight on any of their feel:

• Markmont formula thick strings: Copi, Dragon, Night Moves, Blue Eyed White Dragon, Cumulus Foam

• Zipline Strings: Business Class, Performance, Skyline

• Evan Nagao Plutonium

• Toxic Strings

1 Like

string is such a unique experience person to person, even yoyo to yoyo, and even the different bearings can make the same string feel different in some ways. string is not expensive, especially when compared to yoyos. just buy them and try them. and if you don’t like a certain string, try using it on a different yoyo.

my markmont string has lasted longer than anything else I’ve tried. including between washes.

4 Likes

ZipLine is my favorite brand. They have a nice variety of styles and thicknesses, and all of them are great (except maybe the black ones they used to make). My favorite is GoldenEye, and I also like their Executive class strings and their Skyline III strings. They also make the “Diamond Blend” strings for G2, and they are amazing as well.

1 Like

I started out buying YoYo String Lab: Type X.

The closest thing to Airetic string that I’ve tried is Bad Wolfe Co. But there are a few other 100% nylon strings that I haven’t tried. I’ve tried a few of Zipline’s nylon blend strings and they are really great (Smoothie, Signature Plus). Now that I think about it, Signature Plus has really lasted a long time. Maybe longer than Smoothie. But I’ve only had them for a month or so, and I haven’t washed any yet.

1 Like

have you thought about making your own strings, even if you never plan to sell them its extremely fun to try to get down the perfect string for your self, thats what motivated me to start my own brand

1 Like

I was really digging zipline signature from the various zipline I’m trying, but then my new Ridgeline throw showed up with an Airetic string and oh my I’m in love.

2 Likes

Overall, Markmont Dragon, has been for years. I find it slightly funny that no one wanted Dragon’s when they were pretty available a number of years ago, but now they’re talked about all the time. Glad people are coming around to them.

But I also use a number of others. Most Markmont strings I use, Kitty Fat on responsive yoyos, some Ziplines. Zipline sent me a prototype string that I wish I knew if they were making it, because it’s really great and lasting a long time.

2 Likes

Markmont’s long lasting strings are my top choice, which one depends on the yoyo. I haven’t found a nylon or nylon poly blend that I’ve stayed happy with, though I do still like airetic slims for narrow gap or high wall yoyos. I’ve been enjoying zipline EP 20/20 as another thinner string choice.

I’ve been using YYF knot bad as a bulk string, but also keep MonkeyFinger Vines. I’ve tried a variety of the new twisted strings poly and I’ve been happy with it. The new zipline x sochi strings have been great also, I’m waiting to see what their 100 packs will cost.

I’ve been using Bad Wolfe Co almost exclusively. I love both blends they offer, but Sliccs tend to be my favorite. After they break in, they feel similar to Airetic and they seem to last forever.

1 Like

That’s so incredibly sad… new love cut short :cry: RIP Airetic.

And on that note, I have about a dozen or so Airetic regs and maybe 30 slims… only $50 per string if anyone wants some :rofl:

Same, bad Wolfe co slicc is VERY similar to airetic which is why I use it on all my yoyos now. OP if you want something close to airetic, buy some bad Wolfe co slicc

3 Likes

Another for Bad Wolfe Co. Really love both types they offer. Just depends on what I want on a given day or what goes better with X throw.

I dabble in some Ziplines (Prestige or Smoothie are my favorites, although the new Alpha Line impressed me too). TBH I got kinda burnt out on Zips for awhile because they almost have too much going on in terms of string types.

Otherwise, I do have a few MarkMonts I like and Airetics are ideal for me on certain throws. My go-to bulk is MFD Vines when the mood strikes me.

2 Likes

If you like Prestige I highly recommend G2 Diamond blend. It’s made my Zipline, and it’s very similar to Prestige, slightly faster whips, a hair thinner and a little less soft.

I use Prestige, Diamond blend and BadWolfCo sliccs and sometimes Markmont DRAGON or Copi.

With BadWolfCo sliccs I notice a lot of variation in feel and performance between colors. So far I like the black ones best, they’re soft with fast predictable whips. I still need to try a lot of colors though, especially the white ones and the newer solid colors.

1 Like

I picked up a booster pack and I’ve mainly been using this SUPER ORANGE slicc. Not sure about the differences between colors but this one is amazing.

2 Likes

is it possible to compare them to other strings like kitty, sochi or markmont? I hear great things about zipline all the time and I am very curious, but without much direct comparison I can’t really be gauge how soft or whippy a string might be.

I should just get some to try them out but since I live in Korea, international purchases are a rather big commitment and takes quite a bit of time to get here.

How would you compare the ziplines to the airetic? I love mine and I am wondering if there is a readily available alternative that is as smooth and durable.

I’m kind of mind blown how durable the airetic strings are. Markmont I get how they are so durable as they are super thick and super tightly twisted, but airetics are so soft. Orders of magnitude smoother and softer than kitty that is praised by its softness. Even markmont starts to fray after some use but my airetics just don’t seem to fray. One thing though, the airetics seem to be sensitive to non-neutral string tension, twisting up after only a few tricks whereas my markmonts are more resistant to string coiling on itself on non-neutral string tension.

Ziplines are great strings for sure, but you’re never gonna get anything as soft as an airetic from zipline. You can get close, if the zipline string you’re buying has nylon in it, but what you want is “wooly nylon”. That’s what airetic and bad wolfe co (I think) use.

Have you tried the other markmont string variants? My markmonts are still in the mail and I can’t wait to try them. I got the 5 thick long lasting variants: dragon, blue eyed white dragon, night moves, cumulus foam, and copi.

I have only tried out cumulus foam and it blew my mind. I can’t fathom how there would be string that is even whipper than the cumulus foam, but apparently dragon is whippier than cumulus foam and night moves even more so. I’m also very curious about copi as it seems like a more bouncy and softer feeling string but as durable as the other variants.

I wonder what that zipline prototype you received is. Do you happen to know the name of it? Or is it still unnamed as it hasn’t be officially released?

1 Like

I’ve heard some great things about bad wolfe co strings. Do you happen to have any comparisons to other strings you have tried?

I was watching your videos just a couple hours ago and got interested in bad wolfe co strings cause of it! What a coincidence you commented here. I would have to look into them for sure.

1 Like