What strings are people using now-a-days?

I’ve been a fat kitty nylon user for far too long. I love the feel and tension on kitties, but I’m looking for something a little whippier.

I’ve tried plutonium, but I was meh on it.

I want something that holds tension well, has enough weight to slack/whip better than kitties, but isn’t as stiff and unplayable as markmont dragons.

Any recommendations? I’ve been looking at markmont draken, anyone used it yet?

3 Likes

Get ahold of some Airetic! You can thank me later. :wink:

5 Likes

I was interested in that one as well! Thanks man, glad someone can sign for it

2 Likes

Oooo that’s my favorite. Did you try Type X as well? If you’re into fat kitty nylon that’s definitely a different deal, maybe you should look at more nylons, problem is, mass produced reliable nylon is not quite a thing on the market right now outside of Kitty!

I know someone here bought some Markmont Draken! Post a review for us!

3 Likes

Second Airetic - i love my strings from them!
Ammo is my go to poly for sure though

4 Likes

I haven’t tried type x yet, but I’ve heard good stuff about it so far.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I appreciate it

1 Like

Drakens a lighter dragon. I bought some when they released years ago. It’s been a long time but I remember they werent toooo different

3 Likes

If you’re used to kitty nylon I can see why you didn’t really like plutonium. The YYSLs are a softer smooth poly, kitty nylons a little more stiff and course.

In this case I think you might actually like Draken. They’ll be WAY whippier than YYSL or kitty nylon though but it’s still lighter than Dragon so I think that would be a closer fit to kitty nylon. The feel is still different but it has that slick course feeling that wears down to a smooth stiff string like kitty nylon.

Airetic is pretty different from anything above but I think you still might like it. They’re a soft, bouncy, plush feeling nylon string. It’s the softness of soft polys like YYSL, the stiff whippiness of Trilobal poly like dragon, with a feeling that’s a kind of like a mix of both.

3 Likes

i absolutely agree with this as well. i’m EXACTLY the same way with EXACTLY the same string. nylon fat kitties are the bomb, but i got myself some airetics, and while i still like my kitties better for general play, the airetics are more “fun”, if that makes sense.

5 Likes

I’ve decided AMMO is a wee bit too thick for me in the end. Plutonium cuts that middle ground between Ammo and TypeX for me, and is my new preferred.

5 Likes

Do you happen to remember how drakens held tension? The original dragons held tension super poorly, so I’m hoping that was something addressed with draken

1 Like

Oh sorry I missed the part in your OP where you didn’t like dragons either. In that case Airetic is probably your best bet

1 Like

84String is very nice. I’ve used quite extensively and it plays great.

1 Like

Have you tried Kitty Nylon 1.5?

For my responsive yoyos I pretty much use Kitty Fat.

On unresponsive yoyos I’ve used Markmont DRAGON for the past 5 years. I also use Kitty Fat Long, and YYSL Type X and Plutonium on and off as well.

One of my current favorites that I plan on picking up when my Kitty Fat dwindles is the MonkeyFinger Vines.

2 Likes

My top 2: Kitty 1.5
84 string fat(holds tension forever)

1 Like

My favorite string is YYE Type 10 ,as I am a fixed wooden axle fan and naturalist. For unresponsive play; Kitty Fat for bulk and then the boutique flavors I can get, strings from Airetic, Zipline, YYSL, and the new Markmont Dragons feel good. Kitty Slims for those narrow gapped throws is also nice to have on hand.

1 Like

Does it keep tension well?

Custom slimmmmmms

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s one of my favorite Kitty String types. Softer than full nylon, close to Fat kitty thickness, and has a good weight for whips. Grab a 10 pack and try it out. String Lab Venom might be a good option too.

1 Like