What strings are people using now-a-days?

I can go through a kitty string in less than an hour, the nylon 1.5s last about as long as plutonium, maybe 3 hours… My favorite strings are 8/3 blend of Trilobal poly/wooly nylon, I’ve been playing on the same 2 strings for 2 weeks now and there’s barely any fray. Also these blends hold tension amazingly!

2 Likes

i use yoyo king string

1 Like

I second this - Kitty just doesn’t hold up for me - it also demands string management a lot more than a nylon string so to speak!

Kitty 1.5 ain’t as bad as their regular stuff though!

2 Likes

I bought a back of Monkeyfinger vines (thick) for my fixies, and use mostly Ziplines for everything else.

Hearing all the positive experiences with Plutonium, I decided to order a pack that just came today. First impression: this string is great. Very good all rounder string. Will have to see how long it holds up compared to the Ziplines, but I love the extra thickness and the overall feel is just very natural and soft.

3 Likes

I have tried sooo many strings and I keep coming back to the magic of YYSL :mage:

4 Likes

just did, hope its good

Piano wire, highest key.

1 Like

I apologise for the above post. Friday night is my drinking night, so I tend to post silly content on Friday nights. Here’s a real response.
I have tried many strings over the last year plus. I currently like Zipline Strings and YoyoString Labs best, but I’m not satisfied with the durability of either. Big Bang Bandalores String Theory has the durability I’d love to see in poly blends, but I just can’t fully get used to the feel of the string. My ideal would be a marriage of the two.

3 Likes

@smileypants707 spins some pretty dope strang.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll reach out.

Whyyyy does string need to be ultra durable? I have to say I just don’t get this whole philosophy.

I can understand if you wear through string in an hour, but if you get 8 solid hours of real time play out of a string, isn’t that “enough”? What’s the big deal with just replacing it? I mean strings are like MAX 50 cents, and that’s for the fancy poly stuff.

2 Likes

It’s definitely not a big deal, but “8” hours of playing goes quick for me, and it’s because the drop off is too steep. I’m noticing very tangible differences in playability much sooner than 8 hours. Usually by the end of 2 days I want a new string.

3 Likes

I’ve been asking this more and more. It’s nice when you have a string that will last months, but it’s not necessary with how cheap string already is. And even when strings last months people still complain about the cost. For example cloud string at $4 a string. It should cost much more to be honest.

I don’t see an issue with this personally. If a string lasts two days then you only need to buy two 100 packs to get you through the year. That’s around $40 for kitty string or around $100 for string lab. Seems like a reasonable yearly budget for a hobby.

7 Likes

It’s not about the budget for me, the issue is that I’m exceedingly lazy.

4 Likes

It doesn’t have to be. It’s just nice to not have to change a string every day or two of play.

And like @yoyo_cubicle said:

So while a string can technically last for about 8 hours of play, the performance starts to die much closer to like 2 or 3 hours in.

After saying all this, less durable strings have actually grown on me significantly in the past few weeks. I can appreciate most strings now.

6 Likes

The only argument in favor of super longevity in strings is if you have basically zero budget. Or if you just prefer 100% nylon as a thing, you’ll get ultra durable for free.

Ahh, to tantalize the fingers with a fresh YYSL string. It’s like putting on a clean pair of underwear straight out of the dryer when they’re still warm. SO REFRESHING :sparkles:

6 Likes

Why does it have to be an argument though? It’s just a nice feature…

And yes, fresh poly string is v nice indeed.

1 Like

I feel like nylon has some downsides that nylon fans tend to want everyone else to overlook. It isn’t “free longevity”, there are tradeoffs involved there.

2 Likes

Agreed. Some of my yoyos are equipped with nylon and they last “forever”, but they have a different feel, and sometimes I want a more “natural” feeling string.

4 Likes

You know what? Never mind. I’m not getting into this right now. Strings is as strings does, I suppose.

4 Likes