What's the most "neutral" monometal out there?

Since @EOS44 brought it up, what’s the most neutral monometal, the platonic ideal of a neutral monometal? :thinking: I like his choice of Dang2, but I am wondering if there is anything else more “on the nose”. Maybe a Shutter?

4 Likes

It’s worth discussing what “neutral” means. I think it means jack of all trades, good at everything, not bad at anything … but also not exceptional at any specific niche yo-yo style / tricks.

Some counter examples would be

• the Horizon which is kinda finger-spin optimized and not an all-rounder. Metal Skyva for same reason.

• Edge Beyond which is an extreme in design (all extended steel rim weight) and also not a typical monometal so “special” in that way

• Something like the Eternal Throws Sesh which is an extreme H shape, or the Grail which is an extreme organic (or any other shape extreme)

I liked @zslane’s suggestion of the Joyride here, but after thinking about it a bit more I’m tripling down on Shutter as the absolute most neutral monometal around.

2 Likes

…is a bi-metal in any case.

2 Likes

My vote goes to the new yyf neo genesis

2 Likes

For me, a neutral yoyo is a yoyo which design characteristics are not intentionally directed towards providing extra stability or spintime to be used as an advantage when performing tricks. Usually, a yoyo with a moderately even weight distribution and specs that stay in the middle ground(Dia: 54 - 56mm, Wi: 40 - 45mm) could enter this category. Also i would exclude: anything bimetal, anything oversized, anything superwide.

Some examples of yoyos i think are neutral: OG Shutter, Kilter 1/2/3, YYO Vector, OD Gauntlet/Dang2, YYF Aviator 2, etc.

Also, please notice that two “neutral” yoyos will definetely not play alike. “Neutral” should not be used as an adjective to describe play feel, but to group yoyos with standard characteristics/specs.

Edit: So to answer the question, i would pick the Yoyofficer Kilter 3 as my choice for "most neutral yoyo. That yoyo is so plain it’s almost boring. Everything is standard. Funny thing is that i do like it a lot. It’s a beast of a practice yoyo. I like plain yoyos.

5 Likes

OK, I see that, but the VTWO that @zslane is in love with is definitely not in that category, it is massively rim weighted and kind of an extreme V.

1 Like

I feel like the Shutter fits this profile quite well. It’s designed to be able to do all tricks well, and it has a pretty conservative design. Butttttt, I also think the Shutter is not really a fun answer, and I would love to see other ideas!

1 Like

Nah. VTWO is designed to be a competition yoyo. I wouldn’t call it a neutral yoyo.

1 Like

Well, heck, the Shutter was designed to be a competition yoyo too. The design intent behind a yoyo might not be the best filter.

5 Likes

Yes… in 2013 (a looong time if we are talking about yoyo desing). If we were to compare it to other competition yoyos it surely falls short. Funny thing is that Gentry likes it that way. He and yyf designed it with middle weight so it wasn’t overly stable.

4 Likes

I this is the case, then I’m going to love it.

1 Like

‘Neutral’ yoyos happen to be the very best in my opinion.

Some of the best neutral yoyos I’ve used in no particular order are:

• the Yoyofactory Cypher
  • Japan Technology Adel
  • Yoyofactory Al Dream
  • Yoyo Scientific Triple Point.

These yoyos just feel right in my opinion and have no extreme features at all.

6 Likes

The Shutter is the definition of neutral imo.

Not super rim weighted V but not a center weighted organic either, right in the middle

1 Like

Yes, these yoyos definitely qualify. I really liked my Kilter 2 and Vector.

The YYO Hatchet 2 is great too and very neutral.

1 Like

N12 or AlDream

1 Like

Dude. The YYF Cypher is as neutral as it gets. I can’t think about a more neglected yoyo by YYF than the Cypher lol.

4 Likes

cypher plays and looks like an N12 with larger axle and better design overall

1 Like

I think the Cypher plays a lot nicer than an N12.

Probably a Shutter. It’s not amazing at any one thing, but can do just about anything. Very accessible and affordable, and available in a crap ton of colors.

1 Like

I’m with you. I love my Shutter. It’s fast and easy to throw.