What's the best overall yo-yo string color?

Let’s talk yo-yo string colors!

If you could only have one color string for all your yo-yos, ever, what color would it be… and why?

• neon red
  • neon yellow
  • neon green
  • neon orange
  • neon pink
  • white
  • black
  • other (add reply)

0 voters

6 Likes

All about baby blue. Just so chill.

1 Like

I recently declared a global ban on that color in my household, ironically. It comes in the Kitty Neon packs which I otherwise love, but … I just can’t get with that particular part of the package. Also what the heck is neon about baby blue??

Ocean blue, perhaps!

1 Like

Ocean blue is nice too. Very chill very nice. I suppose if you’re looking for neon then you’re gonna be disappointed with baby blue. It’s not very bright. It does go well with green, pink/purple, and some blue or black yoyos and those are the yoyo colors that I like so maybe that plays into my love for blue strings. I like it because it’s not very aggressive or flashy. I yoyo when I want to be chill and blue seems like the color that suits the calm kinda mood the most. But OH MAN THAT OCEAN BLUE. That looks pretty hot. Do you know if there’s anything that’s around the length of tall kitty in that color?

2 Likes

This voting topic is about the best SOLID color… but…

My “other” would be blend colors, which are super fun and I think it’s interesting to consider which blends YYSL sells in 100 string packs, which indicates they are the most popular.

lemon-lime (neon yellow + neon green, a personal favorite)

butane flame (blue / green / black)

ocean blue (light blue / dark blue)

@MattB you really ought to update the YYSL website to put ocean blue against the black yo-yo like the others :wink:

4 Likes

Baby pink for me! 20180507_003636

10 Likes

I like white strings

And neon green. But mostly white.

20180730_095755

6 Likes

Personally, I think that neon green always plays great and is usually a safe bet when ur buying string.(and plus, I think it looks pretty cool) image

3 Likes

Only, I think I sold that yoyo, so I would have to make and shoot the whole color range again, ugh! Anyone have a pristine Addiction they want to trade for a bunch of their favorite color YYSL? LOL.

3 Likes

What string? Can you get it on yoyoexpert? It looks so nice! :heart_eyes:

They’re my own homemade poly strings! Can’t get them on YYE yet, but maybe I should look into that :slight_smile:
Thanks for the kind words!

2 Likes

While I used to prefer a neon yellow or green, however nearly all my strings I use now a days are white. Ive grown fond of them and not sure if I would change.

It was chosen at first by restrictions of colors of threads that I could afford to source, but I have grown to appreciate and desire them.

7 Likes

I love the way neon orange looks on nearly all my yoyos. It really pops! So that’s why I voted for neon orange.

However, there are some yoyo colors for which orange doesn’t contrast well, like red, and for red yoyos I prefer neon green.

A good alternative to either of those is neon yellow. It is probably the best general purpose color (even better than white, IMO), even though I don’t think it looks nearly as good as neon orange with most of my yoyo collection.

1 Like

Realistically, neon yellow is the most functional for me. Sometimes though, from an aesthetic standpoint, I can’t bear to put yellow on a particular yo-yo. In that case I usually default to white (still pretty functional). However, I do love pink, and I’ll fit it in whenever I can. Sometimes pink is tough to work with since I’m pretty color blind, but such is the price you pay for style. Hey, I’ve gotta look good while I’m playing poorly :sunglasses:

1 Like

Me being… well, me … I did research on which colors are scientifically the most visible:

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/the-brightest-most-visible-safety-colors-for-cyclists-and-runners

As mentioned above, fluorescent yellow-green is the best choice during the day — and best all-around choice for a single color. But as dusk sets in and lighting gets dim, orange-red and red start to become more prominent. (It has to do with the fact that your eyeballs rely on both rods and cones to see colors, that it uses them in different combinations depending on ambient light levels, and that rods and cones are more sensitive to different wavelengths of light. Newsweek had a great article on this topic last October.

One of my beefs with black and even dark-blend strings is that they’re so hard to see, and I think visiblity is the primary job of the string beyond “does it work” :wink:

They are cool though…

3 Likes

Same exact story for me. I’ll still use neon green or yellow from time to time, but my go to is white. It’s so classy too

1 Like

I like white but the “gets dirty fast” factor is a disincentive for me. It is the vanilla of string flavors, if you will :wink:

1 Like

Kitty Hot Pink is probably my favorite color. Seems really visible in all light conditions. Neon Green and Yellow are close seconds.

2 Likes

I like pairing up opposites on the color wheel:

Red -> green
Purple -> yellow
Blue -> orange

So while neon yellow is probably the best all around color when you aren’t interested in color coordinating, I like to use the above combinations when I can.

The combinations I haven’t yet settled on are for the achromatic yoyos: black, white, gray, silver. I think any bright (neon) color will go nicely with black or dark (gunmetal) gray, but probably not so much with white due to lack of contrast. I’m thinking maybe red strings might pair up nicely with white and silver yoyos.

1 Like

I use neon yellow, and I can’t seem to get away from it. Personally, I like it because it is easier to see the string inside, outside, and in poor lighting. It is also easier to see from someone else’s viewpoint. I would think it would be harder to impress someone with a tech combo if you use darker strings.