What yoyo should I get?

Hey guys! I got a Duncan Butterfly that really has me into yoyoing (sorry if not proper name) as a gift for keeping me busy during the quarantine, and it’s really fun, however, there’s a knot in the string that prevents it from sleeping so I can’t do many tricks; I can’t open it up and I’m kinda stuck. I was thinking maybe for Easter or my birthday. I could get a yoyo pack (a good, cheap yoyo, lube, bearings, strings) so I am looking for some recommendations for a yoyo. Here’s what I want:
-Responsive
-Somewhat durable
-Cheap (think 10-35 bucks for the yoyo)
-Preferably plastic or metal
-A starter yoyo
I was thinking maybe a The Sage, but do you guys have any recommendations?
Edit: I think I’m going to get a Recess First Base. It’s gorgeous and I’ve seen a lot of great reviews here and on other sites, and heard it’s great for beginners.

4 Likes

The sage isn’t bad at all but I would throw a recommendation to a magic yoyo n12. For $20 it’s hard to beat the value you get.

4 Likes

I started out with a magic yoyo n8, and any magic yoyo is good, just make sure your getting the right one
(unresponsive, or responsive) but there is plenty of variety, and yoyoexpert even has a whole page on yo yos that are fit for beginners, but in my opinion, n8, or an arrow, preferably metal

2 Likes

Recess First Base all day. I can’t rave about it enough. Will serve you well as responsive and then is a baller when you switch it to unresponsive. The hand-dyed versions that recently came out are pure beauts as well. Easily one of my favorite yoyo buys so far.

8 Likes

Duncan Butterfly is not really designed to come apart. If the knot is that bad cut and replace the string.

If you want to try a newer yoyo the Sage is OK to start with, as its also very easy to turn it unresponsive / responsive by changing the bearing. It is also very very durable.
Keep hold of your Duncan, don’t throw it away, because i can guarantee that you’ll want to retry it. Don’t forget to get loads of string

Oh and before i forget welcome to the group.

3 Likes

I totally recommend the sage, it is a great starter yoyo. It also is the first quality yoyo I owned!

3 Likes

Hi.

Welcome to the Forums. As others have said, keep the Butterfly, you can either cut the string off or, try using a toothpick or some tweezers to work the knot out. The Butterfly is not meant to be taken apart and put back together again, kind of like Humpty Dumpty.

You are likely to get a lot of excellent recommendations for your next yoyo. I’ve not played a First Base, but, it is an extremely popular choice for beginner and experienced yoyo players. I have played the YoYoFactory Arrow, and, I do enjoy it. The starter pack (https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/collections/starter-sets/products/yoyofactory-arrow-starter-set-yoyo-bundle?variant=12551077724234) will get you started.

One thing that I can’t stress enough, buy extra strings. They are an expendable item, and, believe it or not, they do wear out.

Welcome and feel free to read, ask questions, and find some social interaction in these days of social distancing.

3 Likes

I can back the Arrow as well. It comes responsive with an unresponsive bearing included for like $15 (if you get just the yoyo). It’s a durable and quality throw. You’d be looking at more like $25 for the First Base.

3 Likes

I got my son the YoYoFactory Velocity pack for his first. I like it because it’s similar to the 401K I learned on. You can adjust the side knobs to make it responsive or completely un-responsive. Very useful when learning to bind for more advanced string tricks. I’ve used it and I can do all of the starter tricks and most, if not all, the more advanced ones on this site. The pack also comes with a DVD and strings as well as a tool for the bearing and axle. Nice value for the money IMO.

kgb

2 Likes

When my son started (8 years ago) we got him a velocity as well. That yoyo lasted probably 5 or 6 years of hard use before the response adjusting system finally died. It was money well spent. If I were to have any complaint about the Velocity it would be there feels like it has a lot more center weight than rim weight. However, it didn’t stop him from moving through the YYE Trick list.

2 Likes

All those are good suggestions, I would just add the replay pro, North Star fingerspin, and the DV888.

2 Likes

I was a beginner not that long ago, facing the same issues of what to get to really put me on the right path. I chose the Yotricks Sage ($13) and it remains one of my favorite plastic yoyos to this day. It is made of POM plastic which is more durable than polycarbonate (which is what most plastics are made of), and it is meant to be upgrade-able to unresponsive play with a bearing change.

I also have all the other yoyos that get recommended for beginners, and they are all very good. However, I think the price-performance ratio of the Sage ($13 for a POM yoyo that is upgrade-able to unresponsive play) puts it slightly ahead of the others in my book.

7 Likes

why not the yomega brain yoyo?

3 Likes

It’s not really designed for anything except your first beginner tricks. It’s more designed for kids to learn gravity pull and maybe rock the baby. For a comparable price or a little more you can get a yoyo that will take you further.

2 Likes

I recommend arrow yoyo
Actually sage and arrow i think, is the same but arrow yoyo comes with an unresponsive bearing
So if u want to be more advanced later u can swap the bearings
(The responsive bearing is easier to get out than the unresponsive one)

also necropost lol