Beginner yoyo

So I just came into the yoyo-ing scene very recently and I really want to start yoyoing, so could you guys recommend what yoyo I should buy to start yoyoing. I don’t really know if I should start on responsive or unresponsive play so what do you guys think? Thank you!

4 Likes

Start will responsive, even if you know how to bind don’t get unresponsive. responsive Yoyos help you create a clean style and are overall better for learning key elements. Im not going to go into full detail about this but others will tell you the same.
as for a beginner yoyo or throw I recommend the butterfly XT or the Seedaholic. The Speedaholic is currently sold out on YYE so in replacement, I suggest the YoYoFactory Arrow.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard. You will soon get recommendations of dozens of yoyos. I recommend getting a responsive and unresponsive yoyo. There’s no reason to spend lots of money but you don’t want to mess with $3 yoyos either. Just search the store here and use the price range filter and find things that look cool. Be sure to pick up extra string too.

2 Likes

Welcome to the hobby! I’ll use this as an opportunity to plug my new YouTube channel, particularly my video specifically for beginners. I mention 3 yoyos in it and there are pop-up links when I do that will take you to my reviews of each.

6 Likes

My favorites to recommend are (in no particular order):

• YYF Arrow
  • Recess First Base
  • YYT Sage

All of these can be easily switched to unresponsive play with a bearing (and sometimes axle) swap.

2 Likes

This may be of some interest to you if you’re new to yoyoing:

1 Like

Start responsive. Avoid under $10 budget beginner yoyos. They have short spin times compared to the better beginner yoyo’s and can be frustrating for learning longer tricks. My top choice is Recess First Base which seems to sell out quick. A lot of people like the Arrow. I don’t suggest getting a yoyo because it can be changed to unresponsive. It is nice to keep a responsive around. Just get another budget yoyo in the unresponsive line.

For me, $20 is the magic number. That is the point where you can find some nice plastic. When you want to go metal, $40 is a good target price for quality.

1 Like

The Recess First Base is an excellent beginner throw. It comes with both a slim and regular bearing so you can start responsive, then work your way to unresponsive. The YoTricks Sage is also an amazing choice. Rather wide for a beginner yoyo. If you are looking for a more affordable, unresponsive metal yoyo that works like something WAY over its cost, go for the MagicYoyo N12, It’s worth so much more in the long run. I started with it, and skipped responsive, and I love that thing.

2 Likes

Get arrow yoyo
It is good both in re and unresponsive plays
I have one when i start it is very good 4 starters
It is responsive when unboxed and it comes with an unresponsive bearing to swap for more advanced tricks

Ps start with responsive