First Yoyo Recommendations

Iam new to hobby. And want to buy my first yoyo. I was planning to buy dv888 unresponsive pack but reviews are quite bad. Then I lookd at the reviews of replay pro. Reviews were better but still there are many bad reviews. So what do you recommend and what my budget should be?

Thanks in Advance

1 Like
7 Likes

Are you looking for responsive or unresponsive?

1 Like

I don’t know. Which one should I look for?

Is there a performance different between metal and plastic yoyos? Does metal yoyos good for beginners?

Which tutorials should I follow?

I saw some people recommend shutter wide angle, do you recommend it?

Typically, metal yoyos perform better than plastic, but they are easier to damage, whereas plastics tend to be more durable. You can start with either, it just depends on whether you think you can avoid damaging the yoyo really badly from the start or not. (I am no expert, this is based on my own experience).

1 Like

Responsive if you want to practice swinging a yoyo and have return easily with a tug. Unresponsive if you think you can skip right into learning a trick called a “bind” to make it return to the hand.

I suggest you start with responsive, use it a few months, and then consider adding an unresponsive. Avoid the cheap (under $10) as generally they have shorter spin time which makes it harder to learn tricks. Ironically, as you become more experienced and develop a better throw you can do better with the cheap yoyos. My favorite beginner yoyo is the recess first base ($20) but it is sold out at this time. Not sure when it will come back in stock.

2 Likes

If you are new to yoyoing, then I would recommend starting out with a relatively inexpensive plastic yoyo that can be played both responsive and unresponsive (like the Arrow in the starter kit). It’ll hurt less (than metal) when you hit yourself for one thing. It’ll also save you some money; don’t spend too much until you know you like it enough to progress into unresponsive play with higher-end yoyos.

3 Likes

Iam not a fully beginner. I know how to bind and basic tricks like rock the baby. But I don’t know much about equipments and yoyos.

2 Likes

You would do well by checking out alot of the links and information located here: www.yoyoexpert.com/learn

1 Like

If you already know how to bind that helps, and tells me you know what is going on with yoyo. The trick learning tracks here and at other web sites are very good. Just learn in order. Most of them start with responsive tricks. I would not buy a yoyo with the intent of changing it from responsive to unresponsive. Have a goal of eventually acquiring both. There are some quality $20 yoyos so you don’t have to spend a lot of money to have both types.

Unresponsive yoyos are entirely a matter of personal preference/taste, so it’s difficult to recommend something not knowing what yours is. For instance, I like V- and H- shaped yoyos which aren’t very wide and don’t have a wide gap. But maybe you’re into wide organics with wide gaps. In such a case, yoyos that I like wouldn’t be good for you, so I hesitate to recommend anything beyond a good, basic responsive plastic (like the Arrow).

2 Likes

The Arrow Starter set that @zslane posted is a very good deal. I have an Arrow and it plays well both responsive and unresponsive, feels good in the hand, is a fun yoyo to play with, and, is capable of all the tricks on the yoyoexpert learn pages (well, maybe not so much the looping tricks without a lot of practice).

The most important thing to remember is no yoyo, be it a $20 or $200 yoyo come with the tricks pre-installed. These are skill toys, you need to put in the time and effort to learn the tricks. However, if you do the work, you will learn them, at your own pace, which is all you can expect. We are all doing this for fun, the yoyo is a toy, play with it and enjoy learning and figuring stuff out.

4 Likes

The MagicYoyo K2 Crystal comes with both a responsive and unresponsive bearing and is <$20.

If you want to go with a metal unresponsive the MagicYoyo Y03 Hertz performs really well and is also <$20.

I know this sounds like I’m shilling for MagicYoyo but they are pretty strong at the budget end of the market. As others have mentioned the YYF Arrow is also a great choice.

5 Likes

i am loving my Crystal! good choice!

4 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it! :grin:

It’s a fine little throw and awesome value.

2 Likes

If you already know tricks like the bind I would suggest getting a unresponsive yoyo. I would suggest a plastic one or a budget metal.