What yoyo did you start on?

I started with a super tournament topps imperial wood fixed axle, yellow with silver stripe and from that I bought a white FHZ. The rest is history.

5 Likes

You play with counterweights?grendel

2 Likes

I first tried my hand at yoyoing back in the late 1970s when Duncan Imperials and Butterflies were pretty much the only game in town. I had two of the former and one of the latter, but then the ProYo came out and the Duncan’s became dust collectors. But that was 40 years ago and I don’t really count any of that.

To my mind, I only really started yoyoing this year, back in late July (on a YoyoTricks Sage as I mentioned earlier). All the “back in the day” stuff from four decades ago has no real bearing on my current involvement, AFAIC. Granted, I didn’t have to the learn gravity pull or sleeper from scratch, but never having done a single string trick before, I really do consider Summer 2018 as the start of yoyoing for me.

5 Likes

Yoyos got better as time passed.honestly

3 Likes

First yoyo was a Duncan dragonfly. First unresponsive was a first run yyj legacy

2 Likes

Doesn’t everyone?

2 Likes

I Only 1a.

2 Likes

I started in the late 90s with Yomega. First was a brain then a fireball

2 Likes

First yoyo was the NED Boomerang, a Yomega Brain knockoff.

1 Like

Started on an imperial when I had to stand on my bed cuz the string was longer than me. But really started getting into it with a turbo bumblebee.

3 Likes

ridley’s house of novelties light up blue yoyo, then a yyf velocity for serious stuff, still have the light up one, and it still lights up, and shreds for fixed axle play!

1 Like

Realized later I had the year wrong. Based on my school/class it would have been 87-88

3 Likes

There’s a little kiosk at my mall and last week I saw they had 2 yoyos. One with sound and lights and one with multi-color “lasar” lights. Oh, the kid in me wanted to snatch em up but the adult in me told me to pass. The kid lost.

2 Likes

When I was much younger, my parents gave me the Duncan Imperial and then the Yomega Brain. A friend then showed me his REAAAALLY long spinning yoyo called the YYF FAST 201.
I bought it myself and could not believe how long that yoyo could spin.
And then I bought my first metal, the Yomega Dash. That thing spun for ages.

That was before knowing anything about unresponsive. So when @joshxz showed me his T1, my mind exploded.

My first decent yoyo after that was the TopYo Silenus, and then it took off from there.

4 Likes

Aw man, Light up yo’s are soooooooo good

1 Like

They looked like novelty yoyos by a company I never heard of and I have a bad tendency to nickel and dime myself until I’m broke.

1 Like

Duncan metal drifter was the first one I did any real tricks on. Don’t remember my very first throw. Probably an imperial or butterfly.

1 Like

Some kind of Imperial I was given that a friend had laying around was the very first. After that was my own Fireball. To get money to buy it, I’d ride my bike around to a few different gas stations that had car washes, and I’d open up the vacuum cleaner and dig through all the junk to find all the loose change that got sucked up.

1 Like

It took me two weeks of beating up my hands with that darn FHZ to learn 5a. Best two weeks of my yoyo life.

3 Likes

Do you know 2a yo-yoing?