What would you like to see come from Onedrop (hypothetical)

Oh man, that’s my biggest wish by far! I’ve got a bunch of OD throws and throw most of them regularly, but I just got back into the hobby in early ‘21 so most of mine are recent releases. Even though a part of me wants to see another run of some of the older throws like the Kuntosh, I’d much rather see some of my favorites (Terrarian, Diorama, Aitch, Rebirth, Lunar Eclipse) in another metal like nickel, black nickel, etc.

6 Likes

Personally I need a burnside 20/20. They need to do another run.

2 Likes

If you are looking for competition-level performance; you will not find it at OneDrop.

If you say so :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

So, you consider the YYF Northstar a “competition” level performer? Competition level does not mean “used in competition”. It means that it is a yo-yo that will not under perform others in the same scenario. Given two players of the same skill, the “competition” level throw will allow for longer combos and theoretically more tricks before binding. That sponsored players choose their sponsor’s yo-yo’s during competition hardly makes the point.

Do you consider any monometals to be competition level?

1 Like

Let me know where I said that, quote me. Otherwise, you’re simply putting words in my mouth.

I agree, and I’m not saying that simply because Aliyah used the Rev 2, and won 3rd with it at Nats is enough proof to define a comp yoyo.

To me, a yoyo which has a lot of similar characteristics towards other designs currently being used in the market today in competition-level (regardless of manufacturer or company) all share inherent qualities that are similar to each other.

What I’m saying is that most comp driven mono-metal designs all push for a similar weight distribution - each with their own take on that weight distribution. The Rev 2 is one of those yoyos…

For you to simply say it’s not, is hard for me to understand it because just from looking at the way it distributes its weight, it’s so similar, and performs so similar to other comp yoyos from other brands in it’s intent that for you to say otherwise I really can’t understand it as anything else but your constant spouting of hatred toward One Drop.

11 Likes

One Drop is tight.

3 Likes

Yes you will. The Rev is a fairly competitive monometal, the Format: C was a competitive monometal, the VTWO and Valor are arguably competitive monometals, and the Virtuoso has been described to me by some designers as the closest thing OneDrop has to a sleipnir

6 Likes

A budget range summit w/o side effects.

…so a freesolo?

6 Likes

One Drop has made a few good competition style yoyos, but that just isn’t the focus of their company. They make yoyos that are just meant to be fun and chill, and there is nothing wrong with that. If you look at their recent releases, besides the Rev 2, it seems they are moving even more away from modern competition yoyos if anything. Things such as flat bearings, narrow gaps, low rim weight, and high walls all make executing difficult tricks more difficult, but for some people they make yoyos more fun. Current trends for competition yoyos are to maximize catch zone, or just to be really stable, which aren’t things any of the One Drop competition oriented yoyos even offer, even though they are still good for certain players. Also the majority of competitors use bimetals now, which One Drop can’t make. I would say yoyo wise they are closer to brands such as A-RT in terms of the type of yoyos they are making. There is already a saturation of stepped V shape competition bimetals, and it’s good to have brands offering something other than that.

4 Likes

This is a relative thing. “Competition” level throw means that the performance-level of the yo-yo will not hamper or limit stage performance. Obviously, this standard will vary over time.

Mono-metals can be fast; but their performance vs. bi-metal may be challenged these days. But a good, well designed mono-metal can be very competitive - even today. The YYR Sleipnir is still one of the best yo-yo’s ever; and it is 7075. That said; I stand by my original point.

1 Like

OneDrop can absolutely make bimetals. The Kyo Death Robot MG is a bimetal machined by OneDrop. They just aren’t willing to make a bimetal.

2 Likes

i agree that the sleipnir is a great yoyo. it’s no doubt good. to me and plenty of other people though, it’s good in the way that a free solo, vtwo/valor or a top deck is good. these yoyos can be used on a competitive level. no one argues that one drop releases a lot of non-competitive throws, but i think it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say you won’t find anything competition-level in their catalogue.

4 Likes

I think that is the point I am making. Why release lots and lots of poorly performing yo-yo’s? More importantly, why do people buy these yo-yo’s and tell others how good they are? Most importantly, is a manufacturer that releases “alot” poorly performing yo-yo’s a good company? If so, why?

1 Like

Non-competitive equals poor performing??

Lol, what? You’re reaching for straws.

3 Likes

Ewww

Guys have you see the cyber Monday from One Drop?
They just release a mystery box with 2 yoyos at a fair price!

I should not take it but I did, I picked up a mystery box with 2 yoyos, I have only the fat tire and the aitch (always wanted some more One Drop yoyos I love the feeling they have but never had the money in the past) I hope I will not get the same ones I have in the mystery box :rofl:

4 Likes

I almost bit, but I’ve been waiting on something else I’d like to see from OD—the YYE Top Deck drop. Looks like Thursday!

2 Likes