What was your VERY FIRST Yo-Yo and WHAT YEAR did you start Throwing?

Maybe that’s what it was called, but the shape was the same as the Imperial. We thought the butterfly shape was for sissies. :smiley:

Mine was a knockoff brain. It was about 2008 or so. I have only been yo-yoing seriously for about 6 months.

Duncan Butterfly, August 26th 2010

YYF Whip in 2014 (lol talk about cheap yoyos, it was the only one i could afford)

Dark Magic II in 2014

1987-1988… Coke has this promotion and they came to my school, set up a contest.

Drink coke, spell Y-O-Y-O with bottle caps, add a $1 and get a yoyo.

Then you can compete in the contest.

Kid that won did a sleeper, walk the dog, rock the baby and some wrist flips… I thought it was so cool.

Stopped around 89… back in 97 with a butterfly… carried it in school and just did the standard tricks…

dropped in late 98… back at it in 2003/04 when I found Steve Brown Freehands and learned to do some string tricks, trapeze, double or nothing, nothing too fancy… kept the yo-yos, played them about 2-5 days per year until in Florida in March 2014, met Brian Jardin at the Duncan Kiosk and was hooked again. Bought an Echo 2, followed by a bunch of other fun throws and this little bug developed into a pretty big disease… haha.

#fixedaxle15

OMG…I couldn’t tell you with accuracy. It was in the 80’s with a Duncan Imperial and Butterfly. I soon progressed to others (my favorite before stopping was the Yomega Fireball (not sure when that was but it was pretty much the best at its time (late 80s/early 90s if my memory is true).

20ish years later I am back and eager to learn, I should have a yyf Shaqlarstar and Gentry Stein Regen comeing to me on Monday from an awesome person on this forum to learn and progress on.

mine was a duncan proyo that quickly upgraded to a yomega maverick. The year is started yoyoing was about the summer of 2011.

It’s crazy how yoyoing’s evolved from walking the dog to ladder escape :smiley:

Yomega powerbrain awhile back, and then when i rediscovered throwing I bought a yyf supernova lite, had no idea how to bind or what a bind was but figured it out soon enough.

December 2012 Duncan Metal Drifter.

Creepy I started yoyoing in December 2012 with a metal drifter (well actually I yoyoed a little before that but I was never really good). Brother…

Summer of '98 with a Firestorm Wing. It got really serious with a Playmaxx Bumble Bee. Eventually started looping a bunch with a pair of BC Spitfires…loved those things. Started to drift a bit years later in college until I got a Spintastics Eclipse.

I have always been less enthralled with non-responsive play. Granted, its fun being able to load all those strings into the gap, and they spin for an eternity. But it’s the rhythm of responsive play that always keeps me captivated. With the large gap stuff I feel sometimes like I’m yo…yoing instead of yoyoing. Any of you 80’s/90’s guys ever feel that way?

I’m gonna start at the very beginning, (as I got more into it the last year or so) when I was 14, and fast 201 had tv commercials. XD a lot of my friends were getting into the craze and so did I. So my very first throw was a red, fast 201 with the original star burst technology. XD I love that thing. It’s been through so much, all the little pieces in the burst are gone, it’s pernamtly tilted, has awful vibe if it’s not on the loosest setting, but I still love it and I always make sure it’s first in my display or case.

It was a Coke edition Duncan Imperial. Around 1989. Just started yo-yoing again with my son over the summer after seeing John Higby. Pretty cool stuff. Know we learn new tricks together.

2009 with a Duncan Mosquito at recess :smiley:

The very first one that I can actually remember, so probably the first one I owned, was a Duncan Glow Imperial. This was ~1990 but I don’t remember for sure, since I know I was under 10 years old at the time. My brother picked up a blue plastic Duncan Butterfly, so we’d occasionally play with each other’s yoyo. Such simple times…

The Hyperspin. Still have it.

I started throwing in 2009, however I didnt get serious about it until October 16th, 2011. That was the MA States Yoyo Contest 2011, and I have loved yoyoing ever since.

I’ve yoyoed before but I didn’t get serious until a few months ago, the end of 2014. And my first yoyo was a Duncan imperial.

A free yoyo from a bank in June 2013