What tricks have you discovered for making a Deep State as responsive as possible?

I love me some Deep State, but I do find myself wishing it was snappy.

1 Like

Packing the bearing with Vaseline or whatever heavy grease you can find

2 Likes

Remove the c-clips and shields, pack with silicone grease, reinstall the shields and clips. Been consistent and haven’t had to relube in a over a year. I also use Slick-6 Strings for added response grip.

2 Likes

Will any ol’ silicon freeze do the trick? I think I have some RC car transmission silicon grease laying around somewhere.

2 Likes

There are players who use the RC grease. @DocPop uses the Traxxas tubes.

1 Like

Nice. Pretty sure I have a little tube of Traxxas 1647 somewhere.

2 Likes

Replacing the shields and clips seems like a fools errand to me. I’m impressed that you did it, and it makes so much sense that would achieve snappiness.

1 Like

On this topic, wondering if anyone’s taken a concave C bearing, put some adhesive in it, and used that in a deep state. Turning it into a Frankenstein fixie.

1 Like

I just opened mine up to check out the clips and my immediate thought was how the hell am I going to pop those out and not lose them.

It just keeps all the grease in the race instead of flushing out into the bearing seat and having to regrease more often. I also come from a bike maintenance background, where shields are imperative to hold in grease, but keep the grime out. C-Clips actually are easier to put in than remove.

4 Likes

What’s your tip for removing them?

Push Pin, Tac or small safety pin. If you are planning on putting it back, you can get away with only doing one side.

4 Likes

Ammo string, and really thick grease. Like everyday. I really don’t like the deepstate. It take too much maintenance. I love the shape and feel though. Just wish they used an a bearing. I hear that a spacer and a halfspec works really great, but it makes me wonder why they didn’t ship them like that instead.

2 Likes

I very much enjoy the Deep state, and the setup that I settled on and enjoy the most is the silicone bearing setup.
I do not reshield the bearing after I remove them.
I also just use the bulk string nothing fancy.
I have not messed around with a slim bearing or blank.

I like this idea I have some spacers I might mess around with that there’s been some fun suggestions in the chat here

Can someone take a snapshot of these spacers? I guess I am not aware of what they look like or who they’re from. Thanks.

Thin Shims

1 Like

I used the Dif-E-Yo .010 Shims. One on each Bearing Post with a Luftverk Bearing Blank when I set the Deeper State up for Fixed last Month.

Mr. Adamantiumpops above this post! Runs shims and bearing blank in a deep state. Fixed Axle February-WEEK 1 - #75 by adamantiumpops

I assume it would also work with shims and a Half Spec Bearing. But the Greased standard bearing has worked well for me.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll nab a set.

1 Like

Okay I might be mistaken here but with the side effects even with adding the shim I couldn’t get them to tighten.
I’ll try again later
Also the shims I’m using are yo-yo jam and I can’t remember the thickness but it was the red one haha
Anyhow I do find the play of this yoyo really does shine with the silicone
[Uploading: 16777136172961190700824774755985.jp