What trick are you working on?

Looking back at this I can see that I am using the throw hand for the motion (like DoN) but I need to switch that motion to the NTH. I may or may not get this by the end of this week. I have a house full of people and I can’t begin to explain how much difficulty I am having functioning with the non stop chaos. It’s good though. :smiley::rofl:

3 Likes

do you know buddha’s revenge? that’s a good next step using a 1.5 start

3 Likes

Superman. I’m starting to get that last hop through the opening, but getting it back on the string evades me.

2 Likes

Oh okay, good to know the name is the same just a different variation of it, makes sense. Yeah, I’m super stoked about this development. This is how I keep going, I need these small wins along the way.

2 Likes

Learning
Black hops
Magic knot

Working on getting better at
Rewind
Skin the gerbil

3 Likes

There is that one behind the back triangle that gentry hit in his 2014 freestyle.

Look at 1:59

Sorry I missed this questions earlier but I’ll be at 2 years in November!

3 Likes

I have been working on this trick exclusively for 4 days and I’m so excited to be able to land them. I’d say I’m at 75% consistency now. The next step is pausing in the middle to let the them rotate in one spot.

….

12 Likes

Beef hook. Getting there slowly but surely. The string has slid across my thumb so many times it’s making a rut into it. :joy:

7 Likes

fundamentals Friday! mounts, a few mounts, finally some mounts! (plus eli hops :grin:)

1 Like

Dang, I hope I’m as good as you when I hit the 2 year mark. I am 6 months in but the amount of time a put into it has got to be more than the average person, although, it seems I’m not the only one obsessed with it. I’m practicing any chance I get, including work time, meetings and such. Do you compete or anything, part of a local club or have you learned everything from watching videos and lots of practice?

Last night we went down to the river with friends and family to set off about $700 worth of fireworks (everyone pitched in). It was fun and all but I couldn’t wait to get home to get some yoyo time in before the oh so inconvenient sleep sesh.

2 Likes

I’m with you, pretty much exactly. I’m loving the eli hops, they are really fun. I keep track of all tricks I’ve learned so that I can go back and continue to keep those tucked away in my muscle memory too but I’m always adding a new trick or 2 to the list so that I don’t plateau. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut, no matter what hobby it is, be it learning a new instrument, or yoyoing.

Still working on my flow with this one. It looks so easy but this is much harder for to get the flow down than say, matrix.

3 Likes

Ummm I did the ante online competition in the sport division last year! It was great experience and really helped me improve. They have been teasing the second ante competition and I highly recommend it bc it was fun and definitely helped me step up my Yoyo playing. I’m going to do that competition again but for the 3a division bc 3a is my favorite and having a set in stone due date for an online routine will be great motivation to focus on that one style and get two minutes of tricks consistent.

I am part of the Chicago Yoyo club but most of what I have learned has been from video tutorials. I had a lot of help from the community when I would get stuck on a trick though so that was really nice! I also participated in Trick a Week last year and stubbornly tried to learn them all which absolutely helped me push out of my comfort zone and try things that were a big step up a lot. It was really fun and taught me that I can figure out tricks above my skill level. Idk I just really like playing and was in desperate need of a new hobby. Hah Yoyo has been perfect for me!

5 Likes

Awesome man, thanks for sharing. Yeah, I saw the video of you doing the Pictorial 18 trick (always forget what it’s called), I thought I didn’t like picture tricks but this one takes it to another level. I love that one and now since you helped me with the 1.5 mount flow, I can do it without stopping at each section, it’s a lot more smooth now, in fact, I do that one the most frequently now, it’s just a lot of fun. That and Amuse, because I think that will help with my flow once I can get that down as well but right now, Amuse is really hard for me to master. I haven’t even attempted the 2nd trick in the Trick of the Week 2024 thread, it looks way beyond my skill level but will get to it eventually. Did you follow a path or just kind of jump around with the videos? I was trying to stick with beginner to intermediate to advanced tricks but I got bored with that I just jump around and find tricks that catch my eye & look challenging that I might be able to get down with enough practice. Man, 3a looks awesome but I don’t know if I could ever do it, I’m terrible doing anything with my left hand. I would like to try my hand at 5a when I start getting a bit better though.

Again, thanks for sharing your story, you should be proud, I figured you’ve been yoyoing far longer than 2 years. You’ve progressed fast!

1 Like

Ummm I just started trying to do the tricks each week in the 2023 TaW thread. Often I would land the trick but my execution would be terrible. Sometimes I would learn part of it and return to it later when I had gotten better at Yoyo. You can check out my old vids in that thread. I think varsword was the first time I posted a video.

I started with the yotricks first 50 then the competition ladder with like spirit bomb and black hops then I kinda started just doing whatever. There’s no rules really I just recommend avoiding super long tricks bc they can be a trap. I like learning lots of shorter tricks. Sometimes I like to push and try really hard stuff and sometimes I like to learn stuff I can basically sight read like way below my skill level for fun and bc often there is still good yocabulary.

Also no problem at all! I’m always down to talk about tricks hah!

3 Likes

The beefhook trick inspired me to try
And after half an hour of solid try’s I got it!!
lol it was super satisfying

6 Likes

I feel pretty good about my 1.5 now. What is a good trick to do from the 1.5 mount? Also feeling like I may put some time in on that Beefhook. Probably gonna be a while getting that one though.

2 Likes

I looked at Kwyjibo on the tricky app and what he calls the 1.5 looks different. Why is that?

1 Like

I don’t know which tutorial you were watching, but after the first hop/chop you are in a 1.5 mount but it is rotated and you hands are crossed. Once you rotate and uncross it is a true 1.5 mount.

I would say that is a good one to focus on as it helps you get down a some great elements and it looks great. Other good options around the kwijibo level: crazy 8, figure 8, Buddha’s revenge and coldfusion has a few 1.5 elements. If you are feeling adventurous you can level up to White Buddha or Tsunami Bomb

5 Likes

I guess it’s where it’s inverted at first that I’m lookin at. :wink:

4 Likes