What to get rn!

Hi! I used to yoyo years ago… the last yoyo I got was a CLYW bvm, but I prefered the Peak… I want to get back to yoyoing and I’m looking for some recommendations, I was thinking of getting a couple cheap plastics or b grades (fools gold) and a great edc no matter the size: an overall best for 1A (I never owned yoyofactory or onedrops, I would love to get something from them)
Thanks for your recommendations!

3 Likes

G2 (G Squared) Banshee!!
There’s one from 2016 I think considered the “OG” Banshee. Then they made more in 2018, and did yet another run of them in 2018 but with a higher grade aluminum…that’s called the AL7 Banshee.
Between the 2016 OG, and the 2018 models…people who have used both pretty much all consider the 2016 OG better from everything I’ve gathered. But they’re all amazing throws!
I have an AL7 and it’s absolutely the best playing throw I’ve ever touched. Long spinning, stable as heck, nice size and weight…it’s great! I love mine!
You’d have to hunt one through trades though…I don’t think there’s any currently for sale at any online stores.

That’s my suggestion :smiley:

Also, if you’re looking for something cheap…You could consider a magicyoyo or 2? The Y01 Node is great, as is the N12 Shark’s Honor. They should both run you about $15 or less each.

1 Like

I don’t agree that it’s a good idea to recommend an unobtainable yoyo @twitch77

I would walk the categories on yoyoexpert for these two brands and buy anything that appeals to you… that’d be a great start. Only you know your preferences and there are so many great choices.

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/collections/one-drop-yoyos
https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/collections/yoyofactory

2 Likes

But it is highly obtainable. I’ve seen a bunch of them in just the past 2 months through BST.
Picked one up myself just a couple of weeks ago.

2 Likes

A lot of newer people to the community don’t really feel comfortable purchasing a yoyo from a random on the internet, though.

3 Likes

That is true.

It’s also always nice to know that the throw you’re purchasing it in mint unplayed condition. Plus YoYoExpert is awesome and if you have any issues with your new throw, they’ll work with you to work it out.

1 Like

Aw I would love one but I prefer to get something new, so maybe a recommendation that would be available rn.
Thanks anyway!

1 Like

HI! I went through it all and I have no idea what to get… lot’s of choices

1 Like

If you like organics (ala the Peak) and you want to try a One Drop (good choice!), then go for one of these:

• Overture (if you like heavy)
  • Gauntlet (if you like wide)
  • Parlay (if you like small)
  • Markmont Classic (if you like performance)
1 Like

Best regarded One Drops are

• Markmont Classic (not in stock sadly)
  • Kuntosh
  • Top Deck

As for Yoyofactory, best regarded are

• ND / BiND / ND Ultra
  • Edge / K’Edge / Poly Edge
  • Shutter / Shutter Wide Angle

I’d go with any of those to taste! My gut says you’d do best with the Top Deck.

1 Like

No Markmont Classics left.
What do you mean by “organic”?
What about the Sugar Glider or the Terrarian?

There are Markmont Classics available from Mark’s website. Google is your friend.

“Organic” means the shape of the yoyo’s catch zone is round, like a CLYW Peak.

I’ve never played a Sugar Glider or Terrarian, so can’t speak to those.

Jeff neglects to mention my personal favorite One Drop yoyo, the VTWO, but I would only recommend it if you like high-performance, competition-oriented V-shaped yoyos.

2 Likes

I don’t particularly “like” organic shaped yoyos, I just haven’t tried enough to know what I like.

b grade dream its amazing

1 Like

The Legendary Terrarian is one of my favorite throws! Really fun and looks great!

1 Like

I have to recommend the Muse by Circle City Yoyos. It’s an amazingly comfortable and fun yoyo, and they still have B-grades for $35. I’m pretty new to yoyo but out of the 7 yoyos I have, it’s my favorite and it’s really great for beginners since it can do everything really well and it’s fun to play.

Again, that’s just my personal recommendation as a relative newbie, I’m not someone who’s tried hundreds of different yoyos yet.

1 Like

Oh man. The market is so saturated rn that you’re honestly gonna get so many recommendations.

You asked specifically for b-grades. Unfortunately atm there are only b-grade YoYoFactory throws on YoYoExpert and the D10 is sold out. I personally love the Aluminum Dream and the b-grades are a good value but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it as your first throw coming back in over some others.

These are my recommendations. You didn’t mention budget so I tried to include stuff of all prices.

1. Shutter or Shutter Wide Angle - one of the most legendary modern yoyos, the original Shutter has remained a relevant design since it was released in 2013. It 2017 it got an “upgrade” to a much wider design in the Wide Angle. Both were used by Gentry Stein to win US Nationals including this year, so they’re definitely still viable. IMO it’s just one of those throws that everyone should throw at some point.

2. YoYoFriends Hummingbird - personally not one of my favorites but it’s an objectively great throw that’s really representative of the current trends in bimetal design and competitive yoyo design in general (light, powerful, nimbler, lots of rim weight). Unfortunately its rather expensive at $130 and it’s out of stock here at YYE rn but IMO it’s a good addition to a collection.

3. Grasshopper GTX - so full disclosure: I own this but it’s still sitting in its packaging unopened so I haven’t thrown this yet. However, it’s pretty much universally praised as a really excellent throw and it’s a really affordable premium bimetal at $75.

4. iYoYo Iceberg - last year’s plastic/metal hybrid craze has died down but the Iceberg is probably one of the best throws to come out of it. It plays light and powerful with really pronounced rim weight. IMO hybrids play really different than bimetals and monometal and it’s worth having one solid piece in your collection.

5. Replay Pro - I don’t really do plastics much but the Replay Pro is a really good $16 plastic that Gentry Stein’s used to win competitions against players with much more expensive yoyos. Also partial to it because I learned how to bind on it. I keep one in my car. Only downside is that it can be a bit vibey esp compared against more boutique throws but hey, it’s only $16.

6. Magic YoYo Y01 Node - this isn’t sold here but you can find it online pretty easily for $15-25 depending on colorway. This is the go-to dirt-cheap budget metal. It plays a little heavy by today’s standards and isn’t particularly interesting imo but it’s a really well executed v-shaped yoyo.

Hope this helps! Honestly, I could list even more throws but I was trying to narrow down the list to just the bare essentials of someone returning to the hobby after a long hiatus.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out!

1 Like

Thank you!

Wow, thank you very much for this detailed recommendation! I think I’m going to go with a replay pro and a wedge for the plastics, maybe even a fools gold yeti… For the metal one I’m hesitant the shutter wide looks crazy, all the one drops look really amazing… The gulch caught my eye… Omggg I’m still as lost…

1 Like