What should my first One Drop be?

It’s a good one. Get to try things you may not normally purchase.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with what those boxes offer.
If you can swing it, I highly recommend it.

2 Likes

You forgot a ski reference:
The third day after a powder dump where more than half of the mountain is already skied out.

You are missing out. Play outside, play on the patio. Enjoy it. My VTWO has become one of my most dinged yoyos, and after the first few dings, you just don’t care anymore. It still plays like the day I bought it, but being able to “screw up” and hit the ground without caring is a huge relief. Honestly, a yoyo you arent afraid of dinging has a charm to it, and I honestly recommend having at least one. Imo your “beater” yoyo doesnt have to be some cheap sub-par performer. If you can afford it of course, which I know you can (I can to).

6 Likes

This right here!

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, the info and the advice. I don’t plan to abandon my plastic once i get a One Drop. In fact, it may be more likely that the One Drop goes on a shelf until I am comfortable with it. But, I do better with a reward system, and that is a nice reward system. I may do it again at 20 and 40 tricks.

I wish someone would do a video on “first ten yoyo’s for beginners” that would list good plastics that cover a variety of designs. I chose the YYF One after reading the forum, but it is hard to find information on what to get next. As for budget, I’m retired and on a budget, but I can swing the occasional $100 for a good yoyo. My other two hobbies are photography and modular synthesis. This hobby is CHEAP compared to those two passtimes. :smile:

4 Likes

I know you’ve gotten a lot of responses, but I’d like to throw in my 2c and say either a Top Deck or a Terrarian. I prefer the Top Deck of those two, but both are flagship OD models.

2 Likes

yoyojoe did a cool video on budget plastic yoyos that are around the 20$ mark. I think you’d have done better with a different responsive yoyo with higher capabilities once the bearing is swaped. Something like a Replay or (new) Speedaholic. I plan on getting one of the responsive ones for myself, I’m lacking in responsive throws. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My first responsive (plastic) yoyo: YoTricks Sage
My first unresponsive (metal) yoyo: YYF Shutter
My first One Drop yoyo: Top Deck

Someone taking the 1A journey from inexpensive (but not cheap) plastic to high-end Alu (One Drop) could do a lot worse than those three. I found that an unresponsive plastic yoyo was an unnecessary stage for my development; by the time I was ready to learn to bind, I was (psychologically) ready for a monometal. But if I was going to spend a lot of time with an inexpensive unresponsive plastic, I would probably either just put a centering bearing in a Sage, or throw a ProtoStar.

4 Likes

No one likes the Cabal?

3 Likes

I think a lot of people like the Cabal.

Unfortunately you can only find them on BSTs. When I recommend a yoyo to someone, I prefer to only point them in the direction of throws they can buy new from a reputable seller (like YYE). Just makes things easier for them.

4 Likes

I was going to say something along these lines. Plus you’ll still have your plastic yoyo, after all…

I see nothing wrong with wanting something nice, and yeah, in this hobby something nice is relatively cheap. I couldn’t think of a better company to support with your sentiment. They make their own stuff, right here in the USA.

3 Likes

It’s been gorgeous out. Def need to do more of this with my beater Impulse.

2 Likes

I checked out the yoyojoe youtube channel, that helped a lot. Getting ready to open a Replay (not pro) and see how different it is from the One. Ordered a Replay Pro on Ebay this morning. Not giving up the plastics, just want a nice metal. Even if it is just to look at. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Replay is significantly better than the One. Any One Drop is significantly better than a Replay.

I remember I was gifted a One Drop Markmont Next like 2 months after I had started yoing and all I was using before was a ONE. The difference was absolutely ridiculous

Now that same Markmont Next is by far the worst performing metal in my collection

5 Likes

I am envious of your good weather lol. Where I’m from we are dealing with historic flooding right now. Rain just keeps on coming.

I definitely think the SK is a great place to start. It was one of my first one drops. Very fun and versatile. When I started throwing grinds were most interesting to me. The SK definitely delivers on that front.

3 Likes

Well, I started with a Deep State to stay with responsive. Plus it is cheap. On the bad side, I’ve already hit yoyo addiction. Picked up 5 B grade yoyos on that order. But, at $10 to $20 each that was not a bad order. The B stocks will go on the shelf until I am ready to try unresponsive.

4 Likes

3 Likes

on behalf of all broke yoyoers… pls fund my addiction :stuck_out_tongue::yo-yo:

3 Likes

9 Likes

Copied from the OneDrop page for “The Aitch”…

The H (Aitch) shape yo-yo seems to be under-represented. Even if you look at One Drop history, the H is rare. When we have done it (Benchmark Series) in the past, we kept it only mildly H. We decided that it was time to do a proper H shape.

Very Aitch-y indeed:

13 Likes

coding is finally vindicated! :tada:

6 Likes