What should my first One Drop be?

get a cheap unresponsive first. n12 is recommended from me

3 Likes

It does but you get over it. Really. You should see my Lilith. Get a project pal you won’t be disappointed. That’s Grendel’s story and he’s sticking to it.

5 Likes

I was referencing the gap width here. At 4.39 mm it’s a smaller gap width than is typically seen these days. You definitely feel the difference between 4.39 and something like 4.7. The Virtuoso has a great response and play for beginners in that the gap width provides snappy tight binds even with less than perfect form and yet still allows for multiple string wraps without fear of snagging. It’s light enough to stand there all day and practice the basics without getting sore and performs regens regens effortlessly yet it’s still super stable and long spininning! Fingerspin cup is wide open and flat which helps beginners land fingerspins easier without getting dependent on a centering dimple and the gap helps with those tricky fingerspin binds. For these and many other reasons this is definitely one of the better one drops for beginners, but is obviously capable of claiming a top 10 in worlds too. Could be that I’m still on a partial moneymoon with this one, but I don’t think so, it’s excellent!

5 Likes

wow you’re really hyping up this thing, I gotta try it some time. But this is the problem I have:

honestly beginners shouldn’t go for something that high end imo. Something cheaper like a Replay Pro/ wEDGE or even simply swapping out the bearing is what beginners should do.

1 Like

My feeling on when to buy one’s first high-end (i.e., expensive) unresponsive metal yoyo is this: get one when you feel you are ready for it.

Bear in mind that if you still hit the ground (or yourself) with your yoyo on a semi-regular basis, then switching to a metal one may not be the wisest plan. But if you feel ready to learn to bind and aren’t concerned with the occasional nick or scratch (on yourself or your expensive metal yoyo), there is no compelling need to do that with a plastic yoyo rather than a metal one. It all comes down to what you can afford and what you think you will enjoy playing with.

1 Like

I only referenced beginners because of your previous lack of skill to bind comment.

1 Like

This is correct… the funny thing is that onedrop literally doesn’t make any actual H shaped yoyos… cc @smileypants707

1 Like

Hmmm :thinking:

This feels like bait.

4 Likes

No seriously, even their “Benchmark H” wasn’t really an H. For realz.

1 Like

Honestly, here is what I would do: get a One Drop and with it purchase a really cheap plastic unresponsive. Throw the plastic until you are comfortable binding and able to do everything that you can already do on the responsive throw. Break out the OD and enjoy the metals. Unless you are a kid and don’t have cash-flow, this won’t really cost you that much money. Some people think you should be like a freaking pro before you get a metal yoyo, but if you want one, I say get one.

As for which OD, I hear they are all pretty great. My only OD yoyo is the VTWO and it is one of the nicest playing yoyos in my collection. It is also my most dinged and scratched yoyo I own, but after the first couple dings it feels like part of the family.

4 Likes

Yoluminatti confirmed.

But seriously, I’m not getting roped into this discussion rn. I don’t have the time or the energy.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I had a Silenus once. Isn’t that technically an H? An organic H?

4 Likes
  1. The one you think looks the coolest.
    and
  2. The one you can afford.
    Get one and have fun!
7 Likes

Really can’t go wrong with any choice from OD.

5 Likes

Kind of… but not really? Strong H is maybe the rarest shape in the wild

1 Like

Is there anything wrong with strong H shaped yoyos? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to strong H shapes? (oof probably too off-topic)

1 Like

It’s only on topic in the sense that it’s funny how One Drop has basically never made an H shaped yo-yo, even their “benchmark H” wasn’t an H :rofl:

So if the advice is (and it’s good advice!) to “try all the shapes!” there’s one shape you’ll never be able to try if you stick with One Drop.

My first One Drop was the 2013 Benchmark “H.” I got it though when I felt that the time was right. Before that, I was living off of $20-30 b-grades to learn with as well as some plastics and a delrin as I wasn’t quite mentally prepared for spending the cash on what felt like a premium yoyo at the time.

2 Likes

I am looking very hard at the Kraken. I love the acid wash/splash options. The reviews on them are very good.

3 Likes

I’d go Par Avion over Kraken, but it’s a tough call!

1 Like

I have one in the red gold acid (Santa) I like the way it feels, just BIG. PM me if your looking at one :wink:

1 Like