Thoughts on First "Big" Yoyo Buy? EDITED - The Throw is In

So, I am strongly considering making my first “big” buy. I’ve never spent more than $40 on a throw and likely won’t be able to again for awhile, so it’s kinda a big deal to me that I nail this. So, my criteria:

• Working on a budget, so $90 max dlvd.
  • Must be designed and made in USA. No personal issue with buying pieces machined elsewhere, but I want to support a 100% local US company.
  • No organics. I want a more “modern” profile. But nothing too crazy (ridiculously wide, super small, etc.)
  • I’m not worried about competition style. I yo at home for fun and want a solid all-round performer that can easily handle my solidly intermediate skills and make me want to pursue more advanced tricks.

I do have a throw in mind already but I want some opinions before I take then plunge (not saying here because I don’t want to overly direct the discussion). My goal is to make the buy before the end of the day, so… Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

After doing some further research (looked at OD and Yanasi), here are my final four:
1. Rev 1 (ruled out Top Deck because of redundancy, and Rev 1 is by all accounts a successor of sorts)
2. Sugar Glider
3. Kuntosh 5000-QV
4. Eclipse

Further thoughts based on that bunch? Some diversity in this group. Still leaning toward my original.

6 Likes

There’s not a lot machined in the USA anymore, which leaves you with mostly One Drop yo-yos to chose from, and some older stuff and some expensive stuff, but modern, not organic and < $90 pretty much makes One Drop your best bet.

I really like the Rev 1, Top Deck, Küntosh 5kQV, Kraken(a beast, a little oversized but feels and plays great) and the Sugar Glider. I think the Virtuoso, Dang2, Eclipse and VTWO(slightly over-budget) look fantastic as well. Just depends exactly what you want.

There’s some great ones here at YYE, some like the Rev 1 are only avail direct from OD’s website. The Rev 1 is my favorite all rounder, it’s very similar to the Top Deck, which is another great all rounder.

5 Likes

Thanks, Ryan. I appreciate the thoughts. The one in my cart is an OD, and you do mention the model. But you gave me a little more research to do in terms of other throws. Exactly what I hoped to get here!

3 Likes

I recommend One Drop Top Deck. I wish I had gotten it before I wasted $200+ trying out two dozen or more on $10-$20 plastic responsives. Well, not wasted…I am fond of most of those yoyos and they did push me to the point that I ended up buying a Top Deck which is hands down my favorite throw since 2015.

5 Likes

Edit: Someone already mentioned these, but here’s some links:

There’s also the Eclipse:

And Sugar Glider:

4 Likes

In addition to One Drop, there is Yanasi Yoyos and Exotic Throws, both of which machine their own yoyos right here in the U.S. Exotic throws only has one model, and it exceeds your stated budget, but Yanasi has models that fit your budget.

4 Likes

I like the Rev 1 a lot as a good, mid price all around yoyo. I will say that twice in the past few months I managed to catch One Drop selling mystery boxes that were within your budget. I purchased both times. Each time I got a Rev 1 along with another yoyo. A very good deal. Once I got a 1and1 and the other time I got a Fat Tire. I know it does not help you if you plan to buy today, but just want you to know what occasionally comes up. Rev 1 + a centering barring is in budget and a good product. You can get a good centering bearing for the price of a multi-color paint option.

5 Likes

The only problem with buying your first One Drop is that you will want to buy more.

9 Likes

I haven’t played with a Rev 1 yet…but I’ve heard nothing but good things.

I really like my Kuntosh 5000QV though. Was just using it yesterday. Really powerful, smooth, stable and long spinning. It does feel a bit too big in the hands though for my own personal tastes.

2 Likes

Yes… I realize I am opening Pandora’s box here. As I do research for this, it’s tough to really focus on just one. I can get the right-now list down to about 3 with little trouble, but beyond that…

3 Likes

At this time just avoid anything that pushes the boundaries of size, spec and design. Stick with a good middle of the road all around yoyo. Rev 1, Top Deck, VTWO. All great for learning tricks. My first top deck was a Deep State. It was good for me at the time, but I suggest something with a more traditional shape that is easier to catch on string tricks.

5 Likes

Edited the original post - down to 4 options. Thanks to all who have weighed in - you’ve been super helpful!

1 Like

I don’t really consider the Rev.1 to be a successor to the Top Deck even though they have similar shapes. The Top Deck is a little smaller, has a narrower gap, and is more powerful IMO. The Rev.1 is an ongoing experiment, whereas the Top Deck is a (semi-legendary) performance beast and one of One Drop’s finest designs ever.

I would put the Top Deck slightly above the Kuntosh 5000QV only because it is a bit more comfortable in the hand. But both are exquisite performers that outshine the Sugar Glider and most bi-metals IMO.

7 Likes

This is precisely what I feel the Top Deck excels at.

And I say this as someone who loves the VTWO above all other monometals.

BTW, if you do get a One Drop, be prepared to swap out the flat bearing with a centering bearing of some kind, unless of course you have a deep abiding love for flat bearings. It is very common to be frustrated with the instability induced by flat bearings. Just know that it isn’t a flaw of the yoyo, but an artifact of the flat bearing and the high level of technique required to overcome it.

7 Likes

Thanks for this and the other reply. Making me reconsider the Top Deck… and looking into the VTWO in case I can swing it somehow.

And the tip regarding the bearing is appreciated. Will keep it in mind.

2 Likes

Out of those 4 I would go with the Sugar Glider or Top Deck. Top Deck has a more powerful feel, heavier on the string, very stable. Sugar Glider has a lighter bouncier feel, faster in play, but not lacking any power or stability either.

With the quality of product that One Drop puts out there’s really no wrong answer. Pick one that you think looks cool and i’m sure you’l be happy with it.

Edit: I misread - You had Top Deck ruled out. I haven’t thrown a Rev1 yet so can’t say much on it. Top Deck is worth a reconsider though!

7 Likes

I highly recommend the Kuntosh 5000QV. I’ve got over 60 high performing metals, and this is still a main player.

3 Likes

I appreciate this thought - I am beginning to find that, more and more, there is likely no “right” answer.

Worst case scenario, I don’t love it and I try to trade or sell here or somewhere else.

6 Likes

I like my top deck better than my rev 1. The top deck could be my favorite one drop when I’m looking for performance and fun factor, it is very versatile. I’d put it above the others on your list, but it will be highly individual what each may prefer. But if one of the others has a colorway you prefer, or some spec you prefer then go with that. You really can’t go wrong with any of those.

4 Likes

Quick update: probably going to sleep on it after all. Have my cart down to 3: Sugar Glider, Kuntosh QV5K, and Top Deck. Going the latter route would require me to scrape together just a little more cash anyway, so why rush it?

Thanks again to all who weighed in. Feel free to offer some further thoughts if you want. Been enjoying the research I have done based on the comments.

2 Likes