Looking for a good first One Drop

I’m a big fan of the Shutter, but I want to try something different and I heard One Drops are pretty nice. Anyone try The Aitch? and how does the Terrarian play? Thanks!

7 Likes

Based on the ones I’ve tried, and the opinions of everyone else ever, OneDrop does not make a bad yoyo. The Terrarian or legendary Terrarian are both great and will be a nice contrast to your shutter. Both available direct from OneDrop at a great price right now I believe. I own both and they are fantastic.

4 Likes

If you like the Shutter, the Aitch and Lunar Eclipse have similar wide gaps, while being different enough, and can be found on the OD site or here on YYE. The Terrarian is also available on both sites and is loved by all. You may be able to find some other older models if you do some searching on other store or the BST.

I have 3 One Drops and they’re all really, really, really good.

Anyway, I don’t think you can go wrong with a One Drop. Find one with a shape, look, specs that appeal to you and get it before it’s gone.

3 Likes

The Aitch is pretty narrow compared to the Shutter or Lunar Eclipse

Aitch - Width: 39.62 mm

Lunar Eclipse - Width: 42.80 mm

Shutter - Width: 44.40 mm

The Aitch definitely feels narrow in the hand. At least for me

4 Likes

How different from a Shutter are we talking about here? A Deep State is very different from a Shutter, and is quite excellent, but it might be too different. Need more info.

5 Likes

Basically, any OneDrop that isn’t some ultrawide, slimline, or otherwise extreme design.

You can’t go wrong with most. OneDrop makes quality yoyos.

5 Likes

I’m probably an early intermediate thrower, so take that into consideration when comparing my opinions to those from more experienced players. But I have a Shutter, Shutter Wide Angle, Aitch, Lunar Eclipse, Terrarian, and Legendary Terrarian to compare. The Shutter never really clicked with me. It’s a perfectly good yo-yo, but it doesn’t stand out to me in any area: speed, stability, power, etc. In comparison, I like the Wide Angle much, much more and have thrown it at least ten times as much as the Shutter. It’s very wide and stable, perfect for learning tricks and lots of fun.

But the Legendary Terrarian is one of my all-time favorites. Like the WA, it’s wide, stable, great for learning, and fun to throw. It’s definitely slower than some of my other throws, but it’s great for casual sessions. I have thrown it over and over and still reach for it daily. It’s like comfort food for me!

I haven’t spent as much time with the Eclipse to comment on it. I had one session where it totally clicked, but that’s never happened again. Likewise, I’ve only thrown the Aitch a few times. I love the aggressive H shape, but it’s more narrow than I had expected and I have to be a little more vigilant when throwing it since I’m not consistently perfectly straight with my throwing. It’s still a very good throw and I don’t regret getting it, but I feel like it’s something that I’ll grow into later.

At the end of the day, it’s all subjective and everyone has their own opinions. But if it were me, I’d get the Terrarian next. It’s a great throw and very different from the Shutter.

3 Likes

It’s hard to find a bad yoyo anymore, everything comes down to preference. @Wascopirate do you have any other yoyos you really like?

2 Likes

Honestly you won’t find a bad one drop. I have 8 yoyos machined by one drop (6 are one drop branded), and they are all absolutely incredible. Pick a shape/profile/color that interests you and enjoy!

1 Like

Out of what you can currently purchase at retail, I’d say get a Terrarian and two pairs of sideffects (ultra lights and large og spikes). You’ll love it.

6 Likes

I think a Kuntosh 5000QV would be a perfect fit for you. It is wide (ish) and very powerful. You’ll have to dig one up on a BST somewhere, but I think it would be worth it to track one down.

4 Likes

And bonus, Terrarian comes with og spikes!

4 Likes

I haven’t really owned enough to find what I really like yet, but I like the Throwback Skilltoys Arcade and the Magic n12

2 Likes

Xymantix’s post confused me as I thought he was the OP. Now I’m just confused.

1 Like

Okay, this is for @Wascopirate : look for a Top Deck on a BST. You won’t regret it.

5 Likes

After reading the OP I was going to say these same things. The Kuntosh, Kuntosh 5000QV or the Top Deck I think would be familiar but different at the same time. Kuntosh’s would give you the amazing Side Effects that OD is known for, and the Top Deck is just an amazing yoyo.

3 Likes

Well, I recommend the Kuntosh 5K to Xymantix (based on his post), and the Top Deck to Wascopirate based on his posts. They could very well be in search of slightly different things.

And I know this will be a little controversial, particularly with the expert players here, but I highly recommend swapping out the flat bearing that comes in all One Drops stock with a centering bearing. Unless, of course, you are an expert player who has complete, masterful control over the yoyo. Or you are a masochist who like to add a level of difficulty to everything you do. :wink:

5 Likes

They are both excellent yoyos but aren’t available at retail, and would require checking BST threads. This may not be an option for some

2 Likes

I second the Top Deck if you can find one. It was my first OD, but there were still a bunch in stock here on YYE at the time. It’s a freak of nature, it’s so good. The only problem now is every other yoyo I add to my collection will never live up to it. Also, I’ll never shut up about it.

I love my Top Deck.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any opinion on the VIP bearings? I’ve seen them in both steel and ceramic.

2 Likes