What’s your favorite yoyo?

Code1 still may be my go to

3 Likes

I’ve been going between my Haymaker Beta and FHZ lately.

3 Likes

I have very limited experience so take mine with a grain of salt. But I have a couple favorites, depending on what I want. My favorite yoyo ever is the Circle City Yoyos Warhawk. My favorite monometal is the Circle City Warbird. My favorite for grinds and fingerspins is the Rain City Skills Metalhead. I don’t know if there’s a single best yoyo for everything, because different shapes and materials perform differently.

1 Like

Spinworthy FTW!

Is that a Ballsy or Harbinger?

1 Like

Huh. In my line of work (historian) we accept that while we can’t obtain “the truth,” we must nevertheless pursue it. So, while the ultimate “perfect” yoyo in the eyes of all may be impossible to create, that’s still a goal worth pursuing because 1) the pursuit of perfection can certainly lead to greatness (or at least very good) and 2) many yoyos produced will be perfect to somebody.

4 Likes

YYJ Dark Magic is still tops for me, although C3 Krown isn’t far behind. Then of course there’s just something about my super old Fireball.

2 Likes

I really want a purple one to feel out. The Kodiak is super stable without feeling chonky as well and I love that. Also a fan of clyw in general along with oversized throws. My 28s Chief and squatch are my babies

1 Like

Boon

1 Like

Ah, the shadow made the shape look different to me.

Maybe my Wenge Boon is my favorite,

because it matches my favorite bass.!

13 Likes

All I’m trying to do is find the currently popular specs and try to make a fun Yoyo that a lot of people will like. Otherwise I agree with you guys completely. There is absolutely nothing that has even come close to a perfect Yoyo. I am just going to try to make a Yoyo that the general public enjoys. And maybe some find as their favorite.

3 Likes

That makes more sense, but you’ll never get a consensus. Even what you said about a fun yoyo; people go round and round about what kind of yoyo is fun.

I know I have been a bit cheeky in my responses, although I may have also told the truth about the Ballsy. However, look how disparate even just the unresponsives are on here. You can try to gauge what a large percentage of throwers like, but ultimately I think you’re just going to have to create, get feedback, decide what you want to do with that feedback, and continue to hone your ideas.

1 Like

If I were an aspiring designer I would think outside the box and avoid what’s “popular” or you’ll just be lost in a sea of similar YoYos.

5 Likes

If I had a Snow Weasel, yeah a Snow Weasel.

3 Likes

Your bass has more strings than my guitars; given the space between the bridge and board probably way more frets too. That thing must be a beast!

1 Like

Others have honed it down to what works. If you want to make a yoyo that a lot of players like, your chances of doing it by just blazing your own trail are considerably lower. Not impossible though, and you might hit on something unique and exceptional. I think the chances are greatest that you’ll get an interesting oddball at best.

Maybe the point is that ultimately you have to find your own inspiration, and make your own choices about what the perfect yoyo is.

33 frets! It goes higher than my Strat. I used to be able to play the crap out of it. I’ve gotten rusty on it.

2 Likes

This question comes up over and over. If all my yo-yos are suddenly going to disappear for some reason, my YYF Dogma is barking to me.

3 Likes

Is that a low F# on this 7 string bass? Do you use it much? That’s LOW.

The median specs are still very close to the YYF Shutter, all these years later.

If you’re just looking for design inspiration or things to practice on, I’d recommend just going through a bunch of popular designs and cloning them so you can get a feel for how their design features get put together. After you’ve done this a bunch you’ll have more to draw on when you’re making your own thing.

That said, the handful of yoyos I’m playing every day include a 58mm outer ring bimetal and a lightweight organic.

3 Likes

No it’s a low B: B E A D G C F

All the natural notes!

3 Likes

E, A, D, G, B, E, as compared to guitar. I see the advantages, more open tuning possibilites, more diatonic, and possibilities for pedal points and drone notes. Must make some pretty scary resonances at times with that low B,

1 Like