What’s a popular yoyo you dislike?

I lovvvvvvvvved the metal replay! Such a fun yoyo.

3 Likes

Manatee is very mood based for me. If I want something relaxing for slow throws and long string, I’m going manatee.

3 Likes

Personally love the pickaxe, top 5 currently. What about it threw you off?

4 Likes

I’m sorry it’s not that clear to me. What advantage did they have? Is there something you think is unfair?

4 Likes

I’m assuming the advantage is that One Drop does manufacturing themselves. At the time, I’m pretty sure their focus wasn’t even yo-yos. They had better margins because of this and could offer the M1 at a much lower price at the time. Good for people who want cheaper USA - made metal yo-yos. Tough for pretty much every other company which outsources production.

That’s my understanding of the situation at least, those who were more involved would know better than me.

3 Likes

It didn’t spin as long or have as much stability as other throws of similar size that I have in my collection. For example I felt like my freehand Al performed better on those two metrics. My 138 is smaller than the pickaxe and I felt like it performed better too. Could just be me though. I tried different bearings in it and I never really jived with it.

3 Likes

OneDrop was/is a machine shop. I think what he is saying is that by not having to engage a machine-shop to manufacture (and factoring-in the margins that the machine shop would demand) made it difficult for competitors who did not have their own, dedicated manufacturing capacity to match their
prices

5 Likes

They owned their means of production. They did not need to hire someone else to produce product.

I don’t think there is a question fairness, it just was fact.

9 Likes

Totally understandable. Most companies would be out of business if we all like the same things.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks.

4 Likes

The most honest thing I’ve ever heard from you. Have a nice day.

6 Likes

This was what I was guessing, thanks for the detailed reply. But now you make me think that H lovers are almost more lovers of the classic designs than the organic club, and are looking for the most pure old school yoyo you can get. Like the dude who decided to use the Imperial instead of the Butterfly to try to innovate beyond the classic yoyo tricks and loops.

7 Likes

As a huge fan of organics but being a complete purist on them, only wanting things that look like a butterfly with a bearing slapped in it, this is accurate to me lol. I love H shapes but I think CLYW nailed it like 10 years ago with the Glacier Express.

3 Likes

Also I’m gonna throw in the mk1 contact… the ano came off mine on a few grinds and just felt like a poor man’s life. I prefer the bastet2 in that price range for that shape

2 Likes

That’s a shame, I really like my contact.

5 Likes

It found a better home at least :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know that I’ve ever actively disliked a yoyo. I’ve had a few that didn’t jive with me or just did nothing for me, but no yoyo has ever made me disappointed or angry.

8 Likes

Yeah I just got myself a shutter as my first ever unresponsive play and I’m not feeling it. Not at all.

That may be just me not liking unresponsive play or it may be that I don’t like this particular throw. I have no idea. But man I get way more enjoyment just tossing almost any responsive ball bearing throw around than I do this one.

5 Likes

I think it’s probably more to do with unresponsive yoyoing feeling weird and awkward right now.

That seems a bit like me picking up a saxophone for the first time, and saying I don’t like that brand of instrument, because I can’t make good sounds on it.

I say come back to the shutter after a year or two of unresponsive throwing. It’ll feel like a different yo-yo. You may still not like it (or you might love it), but then you’ll have a better idea of why.

Just my two cents. Super excited that you’re starting your unresponsive journey though. Best of luck!

17 Likes

The “Shutter” has just way too many variations to know exactly which one he is talking about. I have the Shutter WA, the OG specs Shutter, a championship specs Shutter, and a Bi-metal “Butter” Shutter. I can honestly say that if the WA was my first unresponsive, I wouldn’t have liked it either. Compared to the oomph of a responsive yoyo, the regular WA (which is what I assume most would get) is about as far away from that comfort zone that you can get without going for more extreme alternatives. It feels light, lacks power and stability, and would just be flat out not a great yoyo to start on. Any of the other models would probably be a better starting point, but fact is that these yoyos were developed to be performance yoyos and aren’t exactly beginner friendly (sure you can learn on them, but I didn’t find them to be fun yoyos until about a year or two of unresponsive).

I agree with what @nightshadow is suggesting. The unresponsive world of yoyoing is vast and very satisfying, but it feels awkward to learn especially if you first played responsive for any significant length of time. You kind of have to let the yoyo go loose and dance your tricks around it vs having to maintain tension and coddling the yoyo so you don’t lose spin. It really opens things up to lengthier and more complicated tricks.

At the minimum I suggest you learn how to do anything you can do on a responsive yoyo that doesn’t include response (stop and go, tape measure, looping, etc are impossible on unresponsive yoyos for obvious reasons). Watch videos. It is definitely a different style, and if you don’t care for it, do what you like. But I personally think even a responsive lover should give some effort into seeing what the unresponsive world could offer them. Im currently on the precipice of enjoying both styles (id rather go modern 0A than responsive, but that is something else) equally, and enjoy different aspects of each. Unresponsive is probably easier short term, but harder to master.

6 Likes