What is your local yoyo club like?

What is it like?

What typically goes on there?

How long are the meetups?

Do you have dedicated “teachers” for newbies?

How often are your meetups?

Where do you typically gather at? Is it in the same location every time, or does the location migrate around?

Does your club host any kind of local competitions?

I’ve never been to one, so I’m looking to glean from your experiences.

13 Likes

NYYYC meets up on Sunday afternoon every week

I attend bi-weekely

When the weather is nice, we meet in Washington Square Park, when the weather is dookie, we meet in a public atrium on Wall Street

Ages range from teens to mid thirties…everyone shares tricks with one another, no one is a designated “teachers” so to speak. But obviously some people are just naturally better at teaching and explaining steps than others

Sometimes one throws and trick circles are ignited in good fun, you don’t have to take these seriously but it does help “build confidence” so to speak

Some of us celebrate 4/20 during club - others don’t and that’s okay, yoyo is our common string!

We typically meet from 2-4 but often times we stay longer and get food afterwards

I’ve been going for half a year and was hesitant at first ,but I’m glad I took the plunge! :slight_smile:

18 Likes

That sounds awesome man!

3 Likes

Sounds like a lot of fun.

And a good question. I’ve never been to a club / meet, so its nice to here what they’re like.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Any yo-yo clubs near Greenville SC?

Nonexistent :slight_smile:

8 Likes

My local yoyo club is me saying hello to everyone there and hearing crickets respond.

9 Likes

Sounds peaceful. Haha

3 Likes

The Boston yoyo club is great. We meet all over the city, and everyone teaches everyone something. We really just relax and hang out, and it is a really good time.

7 Likes

Haha. It is nice to hear that my yoyos were giving people some enjoyment at the GA meet though. @Myk_Myk gave @TheThrowingGnome a shot of some of his Spinworthy and he liked them. He even bought himself a Letterbox to be able to receive some of my yoyos in the post! :joy:

6 Likes

I know new jersey has a club that meets in South Jersey at tiki tiki games, but I’ve never been. Believe it’s every Saturday.

5 Likes

I live in a suburb of Kansas City. We have store called Go Big skill toys we meet at. Ages range from 10 to 70+. Averages around 6 people. Meet every Saturday for 3 hours. They have an instructor for the kids vut everyone helps out. They have a competition every year I believe but I haven’t been there for one. Everyone is very nice but can be there crowd can be a bit socially awkward. Great time overall.

7 Likes

I’ll finally get a chance to go the club near me in a couple weeks - I’ll let you know how it runs!

5 Likes

That is really cool!
We have a club here in Cary NC, folks drive in from 20 or more miles, usually older crowd, but the store that hosts us does advertise it and we sometimes get children.
Once a month, two hours of trading tricks and escaping the real world.

6 Likes

I’m the only unsponsored regular, normally run 3-6 people, chilling and trying yoyos (always in the Westerville public library) people sell/trade stuff occasionally, we typically run a little under 2 hours. We all try to teach newbies as best we can, but last meet we realized that none of us bring responsive yoyos for newbies… we don’t usually do competitions. It’s fun.

5 Likes

NYYYC is a bunch of good people. On the rare occasion I am able to schedule the Sunday trip to club, they always make me feel welcome and like I’m one of the regulars.

6 Likes

The club consists of one person. Me, myself and I. Hopefully this changes soon :sleepy:

7 Likes

I’m trying to set one up at the moment in Gastonia NC

3 Likes

I live in idaho and the only yoyo club is 3 hours away from me in boise so for me they usually last 0 seconds and don’t exist but hey

5 Likes

Its really fun- keeps me from quitting playing with yoyos .
We usually discuss some yoyo things and maybe memes and anime sometimes.
The usual time is 3:00pm onwards- we go past the malls closing time sometimes :joy:.
We dont have “dedicated teachers” but “admins”,”senior members” or “tito’s” as they call themselves. They have more experience, but we all teach each other stuff.
We meet at a mall- always there, same time. The time when we leave varies though.
Our club and community in general runs most contests in the country.
Thats pretty much it. Answered all the questions so my sentences arent really good to put together in one paragraph :laughing:

7 Likes