What is your favorite tool for knots?

This is what I do 99% of the time. I hardly ever pick knots haha

5 Likes

I’m not opposed to unscrewing yo-yos like some, heck, I used to always unscrew yo-yos to change strings and did that for like 14 years. there are absolutely some knots that require unscrewing, but 9 times out of 10 using a knot pick like the Airetic nylon needle is just faster than unscrewing the YoYo for me.

9 Likes

I try not to unscrew it unless I need to, but I won’t hesitate if it isn’t easily fixed. Lots of good options on here that I want to try. There’s more than one way to skin a gerbil.

4 Likes

I was an unscrewer to remove knots and have been that way for decades. But now… I’m a picker.

Thanks @Kray!

10 Likes

My most favorite tool for undoing knots is simple metal paperclip. It is always useful to keep one of them in wallet.

3 Likes

The little plastic things they stick in the hole on top of your coffee cup at Starbucks. I trimmed them.

15 Likes

Hey that’s a good idea !!! Maybe next time you hit Starbucks ask the cashier “hey can I have 5 more of those” :joy:

3 Likes

I actually took them where they were by the napkins out front!

5 Likes

Haha even better :grin:

3 Likes

I’m selling them for $5.00 each. Just kidding.
EDIT: I guess, like most of you, since I have yoyo on my brain I am always looking for something to repurpose to serve my hobby.

8 Likes

Bobby pin is my favorite for picking a knot off the bearing. Little rubber end won’t scratch.

11 Likes

Someone recommended this earlier in this topic. Finally had to get one after breaking the little plastic sword toothpicks I had and the kebab skewer got repurposed for something or other.

7 Likes

Yarn needle
Stainless Cocktail thingy
Paddle Pick
Cactus needle

14 Likes

Fly fishing bodkin

5 Likes

If I’m at home yarn needles or a small crochet hook are my go to options. Away from home I always keep a paddle pick in my bags. I inevitably lose or misplace paddle picks but I always know where my hooks and needles are.

8 Likes

DenTek Comfort Clean toothpick / flosser unused.
The plastic pick is strong enough yet flexible to get in very tight knots and will not scratch what does not need scratching.

5 Likes

Lol I have also been using an unused floss pick since I misplaced my Airetic/plastic yarn needle.

2 Likes

Dental pick. My late Father was a camera repair tech for about 65 years, and had an amazing array of unique tools he fashioned for specific tasks. He had several dental picks, and I have them now. They’re sharp - you need to be careful - but they work great. They’re not pocketable, though - that titanium toothpick is looking pretty good.

7 Likes

AffectionateEthicalBlackcrappie-max-1mb

4 Likes

If I’m too lazy to unscrew the yoyo, the tail of a zip tie comes in handy. No scratches, and depending on how the ziptie was cut, can use the sharp angle to dig into a tight snag inside the yoyo.

Runner up could be using the flat philips head on my Leatherman Squirt if the walls are low enough to get the tip in there.

4 Likes