What is your biggest yoyo pet peeve?

I prefer the term Yoyo-ist… thank you very much.

5 Likes

Fact! unless its a wobble machine

100%

2 Likes

But be cateful…release too much tension and the string will come off your yoyo. I should mentioned this. Sorry!

6 Likes

These tricks are more difficult to do, but I think they will serve you well in the long run. It’s much more convenient to adjust your string tension off of a bind instead of doing a dedicated trick for it. One tip is that you should learn the sidewinder on a responsive yoyo first, it’ll be much easier and there’s much less that your hands need to do. Once you have gotten the responsive version down then try the unresponsive one.

6 Likes

Yup. Had that happen to me.

4 Likes

Yeah i know, i’ve been tryna learn these for a decent while and like i said it just gets inconsistent. Sometimes it does change tension sometimes it doesn’t sometimes it actually adds string tension, i reckon i just need more practice

2 Likes

People complaining about fingernail vibe or being anal about only playing something dead smooth–get good first.

11 Likes

Gatekeeping.

Yikes

5 Likes

I’m allowed to be annoyed at what I’m annoyed at, people get pretentious about vibe.

7 Likes

Yeah, being obsessed with vibe does gatekeep people from enjoying more yoyos. Sad.

5 Likes

mannnnn lets talk about the bearings people ship with their throws :joy:
You send off a throw with a centertrac or avg bearing and you get a rusted flat open face 2 ball bearing :hot_face:

i get it, but cmon it’s a $100 throw, leave the bearing in it

12 Likes

Hmm… Thought it was just me. Apparently an epidemic of throws going out with flat bearings lately.

4 Likes

I’d say in the last 2 years its been about 50%. I bought a ton of extra bearings so I don’t have to deal with a sub par bearing but it takes away from the joy of opening a package with a throw you’ve been wanting just to feel slightly slighted by the sender. I don’t complain about it normally but heck if there’s a thread for it why not bring it up

6 Likes

So, in terms of bearings, I use a mix of CT, KK, and flat bearings. I also am not really picky about specific bearing manufacturers. I consider them a commodity and will swap them as needed (I clean them in batches). So, if I well you a One Drop, for example, it may or may not have the original OD flat bearing, and I probably have no idea where it is at this point so I can’t just put it back in.

I know this might be off-putting to some people, but I try to remember to mention it in my listings, if it applies, I would never intentionally ship a bad or rusty bearing, and when I do send something, I almost always include a flat bearing as well as a KK or CT, if not all three, so the recipient has options. If I ever sell or trade to someone and they have a problem, I would hope they just let me know and I’ll do what I can, within reason, to fix it.

Is that reasonable?

3 Likes

I’m with you. I just roll my eyes and go on with my day… Until someone brings it up here lol. At any rate, not a big deal because I keep plenty of spares around.

I did give benefit of the doubt the first couple of times by saying “well, maybe they put flat bearings in all their throws.” But when it became a trend I decided it like you wasn’t that given that most unresponsive throwers seem to prefer centering bearings.

5 Likes

yoyo pet peeves…

There’s far more disconcerting things in life than a yoyo problem…
Yers Truly,
The Resident Curmudgeon

7 Likes

Even this?!?

15 Likes

My biggest peeve is the awful, awful names many companies are dreaming up for their yoyos these days. Its out of control.

11 Likes

I sometimes think about creating a thread to document all the questionable and sketchy yoyo model names and yoyo trick names, but I figure it would get locked or deleted in pretty short order.

I still find it amusing that yoyos find themselves caught between “toys for kids” and a “skate or die” punk aesthetic.

12 Likes