What is your biggest yoyo pet peeve?

I don’t know if I’m willing to say 21mm is superior. I had debated mentioning it in my post, but I opted not to. I think the biggest reason for me preferring 21mm is in large part due to having far fewer companies support it, so there’s inherently less variance.

21mm for me is good because when I get snow tires… I get snow tires, and same with summer tires. I’m getting a singular product from a singular manufacturer (C3 produces snow/summer tires), and CLYW is designing the response of their yoyo around this specific product. I haven’t tried 21mm sochi pads or dad pads (zero clue who makes those), but 21mm RSO pads are very different from both snow and summer tires. If more companies were putting out 21mm pads I feel like I’d have the same complaint I have about 19mm pads.

In terms of play benefit it’s just far too hard for me to tell what is and isn’t placebo about the affect on play. Would love to see a yoyo design that was identical in every aspect sans the response groove. I keep thinking about picking up a second Freehand One AL (large bearing) and modding it to accept snow tires. Eventually I’ll get around to it.

I think why I like snow tires is the exact reason why a lot of people like flow groove. When you buy flow groove you’re specifically getting flow groove, and One Drop is designing their yoyos around flow groove.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply @hobby_master and @hsb. I totaly agree: natural sun light and a light collored floor is a game changer to a degree. But usally I throw inside within the evening hours under warm artificial light and over a grey fuzzy carpet which absorbs practically anything but super bright neon colors. I guess I could convince my wife to change to an epic fake polar-bearskin as a carpet but just using neon collored string might be more efficent :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think if response pad variation/compatibility/performance was something that plagued me so often that it qualified as a “biggest pet peeve” for me then I’d start flowing my own silicone.

3 Likes

Just got flowable and enjoy. The only down side is if you mess up initially, or want to adjust after its set. Its a hassel to redo. But having the option to silicone any modern yoyo is huge.

7 Likes

It doesn’t plague me often, I mostly throw CLYWs so I just use snow/summer tires. I just got a yoyo though that doesn’t take pads at all despite looking like it has a standard 19mm response.

I got the yoyo knowing this, but the previous owner didn’t. The previous owner didn’t like the yoyo because they didn’t realize that they had to flow their own silicone for it or the yoyo would just suck to play because the pads would slightly protrude out of the well. I’ve had like two other times where I’ve just had to trash brand new pads because they didn’t fit properly.

I am done with 19mm pads though, so you’re correct in that this was a big enough pet peeve for me to have swapped over to silicone.

5 Likes

Axel knots. I get them so often when I try fancy binds and almost always when attempting a ghost bind :frowning:

8 Likes

my favorite axle knots are the ones you get when its your first throw of the sesh just checking if you had any snags before throwing hard lol

7 Likes

My biggest pet peeve, I have never had the “my yo-yo has suddenly become responsive”.

I feel so left out

6 Likes

i can send you a bunk bearing if you want?

3 Likes

When an individual decides he doesn’t want to obey the rules of “pay it forward” kinda ruins the spirit and fun for all involved.

11 Likes

THISSSSSS^^^^^^^ im not over seas but i ordered from a small company mainly bc they were based in the town i grew up in… takes the the guy weeks to event make them then anyther week for shipping.

i finally get them and cant see any of them during play. they look great in pics but i cant use them.

every now and then i make the mistake of getting strings that arent yellow or green and i always end up giving them away

5 Likes

Amen @SlowYo. I feel every word of this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What do you mean by you can’t see them in play or even use them?

1 Like

i mean that when im playing with these multi colored strings i cant actually see the string very well.

i already dont have the best eye sight when it comes to color so using strings that have black or dark colors in them are really hard for me to use.

10 Likes

I bought a pack of black strings once early on and it was an immediate “never again” situation lol

16 Likes

I like darker string for matching with certain fixies. But only fixies, since 0a is more of a ‘feel it’ than ‘see it’ sort of game.

5 Likes

I can see that, and 100% agree on 0A being more feely

2 Likes

i wish i had some good fixies… why dont companies make more wood fixies?

i feel like 0A might be more fun than 5a. 5a is just stressful lo,l

i been throwing over a year and TMBR did a tiny release in that time.

Jensen teased some A-rt Wood a few months back but never did anything with it.

am i really gonna have to learn how to turn a lathe to get myself a fixie? ( i know there’s some on the bst im just being a butt)

7 Likes

Check out this thread, lots of guys on this forum turn wood. And you can pm them to get your hands on some fresh wood

4 Likes

Yes @SlowYo I highly recommend you getting some of these dudes’ wood in your hands. Not only for the wonderful double entendre, but also because they make good stuff!
@RC_yo-yo
@Eric_Newlin
@Glenacius_K (though he is hiatus-ing at the moment)
@vegabomb
@aironish (not sure how often he turns, but the one I have is fun!)

10 Likes