What is the worst yoyo, of all time?

Not to take us on a tangent, but I would LOVE to see more articles like this on YoYoNews. Articles like this one and the “Primer on Technical yoyoing” as well as the “Top Mickey Freestyles” etc always made fantastic reads.

(Just throwing that here in case Steve or Andre stop by. I understand they’re big undertakings and we live in a busy world, but more of such articles would be fantastic.)

I’m not going to say “worst”, but the Yomega Xodus 2 is my least favourite because it was responsible for me giving up yoyoing during the golden years.

The large diameter and chunky rims gave it a strong spin, but the response was just too eager. The inevitable result is a lot of busted knuckles and a lot of pain. Over time this taught me to fear the yoyo as the smallest mistake wasn’t simply greeted with the yoyo spinning out, but instead with a hard crack on the back of my hand.

Eventually the fear of the Xodus2 sapped the fun out of yoyoing for me, and when I accidentally lost a spacer when it fell apart mid-trick, I decided that I didn’t want to buy another one.

The fact that I now realise I could have been part of the glory days of yoyoing and probably now competing at Worlds if it weren’t for that yoyo give it a special place of disdain in my heart. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank goodness I’m not the only one that thinks this. For yoyos that are so pricey, I was so disappointed with all 3 that I bought. Thankfully, I didn’t pay full price for any of them except the Yeti.

1 Like

This thread just really makes me want to try a Rev G now haha… How bad can a relatively modern yoyo be tbh

Ahh… My first throw, I actually miss that old thing. It’s what got me into throwing, but now it’s completely busted and shattered beyond repair. The only thing I could salvage was it’s Red rims. R.I.P Xodus-II April 2012-September 2013.

The Xodus2 giveth, and the Xodus2 taketh away. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I remembering ordering the WUB. The packaging (can). Was cool. The vibe was unreal

I’ve used an Xodus2 before and it was appalling. It felt horrible in the hand and performed dismally.

Most of all, its just baffling how strange and poorly conceived every design choice on the thing is.

I can see how it sapped your passion for yoyo earlier on.

It’s like a lot of NES games when I was a kid. Some were so brutally difficult, impossible to play and unrewarding that they broke children’s hearts. I still shudder when I think of the game Ghostbusters.

^^^

Ha Ha… NES Ghostbusters. Rented it and played it for a full weekend as a kid. Could never get up the stairs. Turns out, no one could without a game genie or some other cheat. I was too naive at the time to understand that this is one of the worst games ever created for the NES. The Angry Nintendo Nerd did a great two part review on it a few years back that still cracks me up. The REV-G and NES Ghostbusters belong together.

2 Likes

We need an Angry Yoyo Nerd… Though it might not be yye friendly due to the immense amount of swearing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say the Boomerang yoyo was the worst out of the ones I’ve played.

I have owned at least 0,123,456 shutters and they all were terrible.

Makes sense because they are super unpopular and haven’t won any competitions (mainly due to the lack of any spin)

Most of all, it is easily the most expensive yoyo for what its play value is. Totally not worth it.

:wink:

1 Like

Henrys Viper Flux is one of the most awkward YoYos. I really like Henrys YoYos for some reason although they are not the most modern Players.

I was really looking forward when i purchased the Flux just to see that the hubstacks are bad and the bearing not changeable and the gap very wide and fixed because of their stupid axle system. so i was not able to swap from 5mm D, to 4mm D to modify for Offstring. Totally useless Throw this way. I ripped of the Hubs and now have a 2 colour Viper Neo. the axle and metal hubs reside in the darkest corner of my basement.

1 Like

Lol. I thought that you were serious at first!

Spartanik’s RoA also suffered from the same problem as Lucha Libre, all the yoyo made (blasting, anodized, laser engraved and boxs) were undistributed and many destroyed, if I remember correctly about 130 pieces and a version 2 very limited and very different from the basic idea was released with the aim of not canceling a development that lasted around two years.
How can we not forget the many Northstars that broke on their own due to an error of tolerances between the shell and the aluminum ring

I agree with most of this except the part about the big kahuna. It’s been a favorite of mine since I started and I will continue to play this funky yoyo.

This one time I saw a yoyo that was not green.
:nauseated_face:
It was unquestionably the worst yoyo of all time!

4 Likes

Honestly the Kahuna was kind of a placeholder for YYJ in general on this list. They just released SO. MANY. WEIRD. YOYOS. Like the Yomega Wing Force was a far worse and less comfortable yo-yo, but I think YYJ deserved an entry lol. Plenty of folks pushed back against that one, which is not unreasonable. You throw that Kahuna, Joe! Go on with yo bad self.

5 Likes

One of the worst yoyos of all times would have to be that $200 piece of junk called the Breathe. Man that thing was a joke!

3 Likes

I was seriously puzzled about why they made the ‘slots’ in the halves, parallel with the gap?

It was obviously a cool look. But it would be like putting a sun roof on a submarine.

…As a non functional display case item; it would sure start a conversation. Mainly about how much it would suck to throw.

Now, on the other hand. If the designer would have talked to Julio from Sengoku. He might have come out with a real winner.

Hind site is always 20/20.

1 Like

Rev-G… is my personal favorite choice for Worst yoyo.

To me it is much higher on the scale of worst yoyos because a Dollar Tree yoyo, only cost a dollar.

Many many years ago. When I completely Suckered myself into getting a Rev-G. I think it was about $90 thereabouts.

Ok, maybe my expectations should not have been 90 times higher, lol

It is a nice looking yoyo.

But the instant you throw it down; you know something bad happened.

…A close second would be the Aerobie Aerospin. Another cool looking concept, but>

Mine broke on the first throw and I was not a happy camper.

The Company brags about their patented Frizbee type device. And it’s true. They have a disc that thrown correctly in the appropriate weather conditions. Will float on the air for quite some distance.

Although I think I broke their distance record when I threw their stupid yoyo right after it broke on me🙀

4 Likes