What do you do with your dead string

String wears out and over time you collect a Fair bunch of old string.

Personally i used to throw my string away but realized my cat would try her hardest to steal the yoyo from the air when she could. So I started hanging my old and broken string off my desk as a cat toy. I figure the polyester isn’t all that biodegradable so might as well reuse it vs tossing it in the trash.

What do you do with your old string?

10 Likes

Me with an old string:

meme-toy-story

5 Likes

I give em to my cats too, either tiny balls of it or I tie a bunch of em together for them to drag around. They have all the toys in the world but love the string the most, so typical lol

4 Likes

It’s grown significantly! I need an updated picture

3 Likes

Got one of these going also! It’s bigger than it should be because I didn’t know how breaking in strings works but it’s also every string I’ve ever used yoyoing so far so that’s kind of cool

5 Likes

i think a lot of people make string balls. I’ve seen other people use it for random craft projects with kids. I have a good sized ball of string (almost 3"), and I took ~10-15 and made a yoyo string out of yoyo string and hung a lil’ beeb from my rearview mirror.

11 Likes

I used to make a string ball out of them. But since it was just collecting dust, I threw it away and will continue to do so

4 Likes

Started this pile july last year…

6 Likes

I’ve been making a string ball, and it’s coming out pretty nice! I try to keep them away from my cats because any string is a nightmare if they happen the swallow any.

2 Likes

Mine was repurposed as a neck collar for cats

1 Like

There was a thread about this a few years ago and I’m still doing the same thing: Beat strings go into the kitchen junk drawer to be re-used as just “string” (i.e. for tying things up or together, hanging decorations, hack repairs etc). Back when I used to cut the ends of strings off I’d also save those little 5 or so inch pieces in the same drawer for similar purposes (now when I put a new string on a yo-yo I just tie a not-too-tight knot or two at the end to keep it out of the way and retain the possibility of making the string longer if needed).

4 Likes

I fixed my running toilet with a used yoyo string!

Most of them are going into a ball, which I will eventually crochet into something. Not clothing but maybe a little pouch for sunglasses. And of course wash it.

5 Likes

Strings never die. They just go missing in action

I make balls out of them.

10 Likes

Here is a video no one wants to watch about a yoyo strng ornament I made for my daughter and her husband.

13 Likes

I’m glad that you made it though and I like that you found a nice way to recycle them :christmas_tree: !

Edit because this reads bad, I just meant that it made me happy to see that you made this and I honestly probably won’t watch it but it still brought me joy.

1 Like

Funny to see alot of people do save them as well. I save most of them unless they won’t hold tension hardly at all. I use string for way too long. I started noticing some newer binds I learned recently seem to eat up string alot faster.

1 Like

literally me

1 Like

Been throwing them in a jar for no reason.

9 Likes

reminds me of sand art, lol…

5 Likes