Ways to repurpose yo-yo string

I love using my old string. It seems like a waste to just throw usable strings away, so I make stuff with it.

Just finished my bamboo wind chime

Future worlds largest ball of yo-yo string

What do you do with yours

23 Likes

It’s in a drawer at home and we use it whenever there’s a need. Hanging party decorations, makeshift fastening for miscellaneous kids’ toys/projects. No pics, but in recent memory, I used old string to hold the axle in place on a makeshift ferris wheel I assembled for the kids’ teddy bear and plush bunny.

I guess this would be a fine time to mention (since this post reminded me to do it) that my 5 year old drew a picture of me yoyoing on a father’s day card last month, which is now my profile pic.

17 Likes

When I was helping the lady with her online sewing classes we used an old yoyo string as a makeshift tailors measuring tape; just mark your measurement, lay it flat to measure with a tape, boom!

3 Likes

That’s a great picture!

3 Likes

I don’t go through very many strings. I am sure I have a lifetime supply, plus.

Most of the time they end up in the large round file.

I prefer cotton. It’s bio degradable.

3 Likes

I’ve probably burned through a lifetime worth if I would have used them until they failed. I have been finding out what I like. I grew up only knowing cotton, so I felt I needed to see what works best for me.

This is my current stock of polyester and nylon plus my extras.

Here’s my list of current favorites

Wood responsive- Zipline kotn (but I use bulk)
Bearing responsive- Zipline smoothies
2a- Zipline performance
Unresponsive- Badwolfe slicc Goldilocks

I burned through a lot of string before I found out what feels best for me. But all it takes is a post about how something else is waaay better and then I’ll probably have to see what all the hype is about.

13 Likes

Another use. I sometimes take yo-yo halves that had an imperfection and make them into tops. Sometimes I make them pull start like this and they need a string. My son was playing with this one earlier.

9 Likes

I started a string ball years ago, but I got lazy and started throwing them in a pile so I would add to it later and just stopped doing it at some point. Now, I just throw my string out when it gets really frayed or there’s a knot I don’t feel like fussing with.

At one point, I needed to trim the tree in my yard, so I used old string to tie the branches together in bundles. That was probably the best use I’ve gotten out of any old strings.

8 Likes

I see the top point is a pencil. Are those doodles on the paper from spinning the top on it?

3 Likes

Yes! It makes it more mesmerizing. I even made one that whistled.

5 Likes

I made a yoyo string out of old yoyo string and put a lil’ beeb on it.

12 Likes

I’m saving mine up to braid into a climbing rope one day.

Ivan

7 Likes

Saving mine up to cast in resin and turn in to other objects.

6 Likes

That’s a cool idea. It would be cool to make a yo-yo out of that. I might have to try that.

2 Likes

Oh that would be fun. I’d i had a lathe I’d try that for sure

1 Like

I have some string stuff at:

:wink:

4 Likes

eat yoyo string like spaghetti

2 Likes

Fun to see new life for strings - here are a few more

7 Likes

I do the same thing with my luggage! Makes it pretty easy to spot on the carousel.

3 Likes