What are your thoughts in regards to using Thicker String vs Thinner String. What brands do you prefer and why?

I have been experimenting with YoYoLab’s Plutonium string which in my beginners opinion is pretty premium stuff. From what I understand it’s on the “thicker” side of things.

Please share your knowledge and experience in regards to the advantages and disadvantages of different kinds of string.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I usually grab what’s nearby…

I prefer thick strings to aid in more consistent binding. That being said, thin strings are nice because I get less snagging and random/ poor binding. I use two strings: yoyoexpert’s 100% cotton type 10 for my fixed axles and Heartstrings “The White” for everything else. Heartstrings is made by a forum member (@Dust ). I like to support forum members when possible in their endeavors, especially when they make great products like Dust does. The strings are the closest thing to “my perfect string” I have ever found. I have used them since May, with minimal use of any other string.

6 Likes

If you are doing unresponsive 1A, and especially if you are getting into more technical style 1A, and if you’re not using thicker string you’re automatically at a disadvantage. Thicker string usually has more weight to it which is a good thing if you’re doing a lot of slacks and whips and rejections, because they retain more energy. They also bind easier for more intricate style binds.

Otherwise, if you just do basic tricks or you are a beginner, a thinner string would probably be okay.

2 Likes

Generally I prefer thicker nylon and my favorite is airetic. I do use the airetic slim on some throws with smaller gaps or are snaggy. For example my shutter really prefers slim string while my new decoy can be slippy on binds even with the thicks. Just depends on the throw sometimes.

3 Likes

Thank you for your input, I’ll look into his strings.

Makes sense thank you.

Why nylon over poly?

Also, the best advice that I could give you about strings [and any other controllable variable in a yoyo i.e. bearings, lube, response pads] is to do your own experimentation. For example, the best way to understand the difference between thin and fat strings, is to try them for yourself.

You will find that everybody has their own preferences, including yourself. Strings and response pads and bearings are cheap enough.

Experimentation like this takes time though, so just be patient and pay attention to your experience.

2 Likes

I use ammo and plutonium. I like the feel, my yo-yos bind easily (which can sometimes be a con since I use a lot of CLYWs and they have big pads), they’re easy to whip, and they hold their tension well.

Nothing beats the feel of a fresh nylon string. Whips better and lasts longer. Generally feels bouncier than poly which makes heavier throws feel lighter which I prefer. Poly just feels dead to me after getting used to nylon.

2 Likes

I use YoYoStringLabs Type X strings as my main go-to string. For yoyos that don’t have a snappy bind response with a Type X, I’ll usually put on a Plutonium.

Unfortunately there’s a trade-off in that thicker strings have potential for more spin-reducing friction, which I don’t love. It’s like which do you want more: greater spin time or snappier binds? I kinda want both, and I hate having to make that Sofie’s Choice.

50/50 poly/nylon strings are an interesting option. I have a Zipline SkyLine on one of my One Drops and, to be honest, it doesn’t feel any different to me than a Type X. :man_shrugging: On the other hand, I have tried a Chad Smiley Performance Blend string on a few different throws and it definitely feels different. I don’t know how to describe it, really, but the string feels utterly in command of the yoyo, which is kinda amazing and strange feeling at the same time.

3 Likes

Type X are great. I bought a supply of them last year in yoyoexpert colorway. They last so long that I am yet to use them all up. Colors stay pretty too.
Thicker strings are starting to grow on me a little bit but I think I prefer to stick with a mid range thickness.

Haha, thanks for the kind review! That’s actually a really good way to put it, now that I think about it.

2 Likes

My absolute favorite string has to be YoYoStringLab Plutonium.

1 Like

This is actually a really good point.

The difference in play between a very thin and very fat string can be… significant. Even on unresponsives, and especially on responsives.

Not to mention string “feel” of different poly and sheesh nylon is a whole other world entirely!

I highly recommend picking up the Kitty sampler pack and/or the YYSL sampler pack for any new thrower. It was really cool when every new order had a sampler pack of string thrown in!

2 Likes

For me, using a thinner string can render some yoyos unplayable. Some yoyos are just too slippy without a thick enough string from what I’ve experienced.

2 Likes

It really comes down to the blend.
There’s Airetic 100% nylon which is slick as hell. whips as fast as hell and bouncy as hell. It’s so slick that the slipknot on my finger spins easily and won’t stay put.
On the other hand there’s OD’s nylon poly blend which is the most textured string I own and nowhere near the slickness of Airetic but have a much controlabe whip.

1 Like

I was in the Fat camp for a while. Then I tried a Cloud (v1) string. The first Thin string, also my first nylon. While I did have to adjust my binding technique since it wasnt as eager to bind, I actually found that I massively prefer thinner strings. Thin - Reg are my jam, I avoid fat strings now. Rarely do I get surprise binds after making that switch. Fat is good choice for giving the best visuals for shows or videos

Right off the bat I noticed a significant increase in the sleep times of my throws after making the switch. This meant it took less energy for a longer sleep time. The trade off was worth it. But the cost was obscene and I felt it was too tightly wound making it finicky at times with its tension.

Thin do not play well with every yoyo but ive found that thicker than thin, but thinner than reg was my target. A tough mark to hit.

So after i found out how much change occurred from going from fat to thin, I started trying as many brands/types/blends that I could. Most were pretty good, but they all missed the mark in some way or another or became impossible to get anymore. Eventually I ended up learning how to make my own strings. After a while I figured out some really good combos and found my perfect string (The White). After a bit of R&D found my sweet spot in material, tightness, thickness, and tension. As @Cannon has found as well (thank you for the kind words brother! :pray: ) and as he so generously mentioned, if you want to try some of my strings, just shoot me a PM to discuss further details of getting your own HeartStrings “The White” to see for yourself. They are in between thin and reg. Its pretty much the only string I use now for my entire arsenal now. Not for everyone, but def my preference.

5 Likes

Some top-level throwers still want the thinner string for all of the layers in the gap (like a Type X). But, you do make a good point, and I see two techniques to make a string good for slacks, whips, etc.: weight and material choice. With Ammo I went with weight, and so it’s thicker. With Venom, I went with material choice to keep the string regular size, which Eric Koloski likes for slack and tech. With Plutonium, I used both methods, so it slacks great, but isn’t as thick as Ammo, yet a little thicker than regular for nice for binds.

5 Likes