What are your thoughts in regards to using Thicker String vs Thinner String. What brands do you prefer and why?

I just recently tried plutonium after after trying the type x which I liked the feel of and the longevity (for me at least) and I gotta say I was mad when I first tried it…cause I was like “great these are awesome now I have to buy more!”

So far it’s been a goldilocks thickness for me, slightly thicker than the type x, feels just right on my hands. There’s no significant difference in play for me, but it’s just a little more comfortable running through my fingers which makes me happy, so great job YYSL and I love your variety of bright colors. :grinning:

5 Likes

The only yoyo store worth ordering from here in the UK is Yoyo Village and a while back they had a sale on. One of their items wasa mystery string pack (getting rid of old stock) whereby for £5 you got two packs of strings picked at random. Anyway I got a pack of Toxic Strings and these things are THICK (or is that thicc? Do young people say that word these days?)

I only just started to use them in my shutter, they feel soft like thick pieces of wool. I wasn’t very fond of them to begin with but they are growing on me.

Look:
SAM_4537

(Yes that is my old man slippers on the floor in the distance there)

5 Likes

I don’t know if they say the word these days, but they definitely spell it wrong these days. At the moment the misspelling is on purpose, but to no real purpose, and eventually they won’t even know that it used to be spelled with a k because the Internet is now teaching our children everything.

3 Likes

Actually you pronounce thicc differently from thick. Thicc is meant to describe beautiful curvy women.

1 Like

Yeah, we already have a word for that: voluptuous. But I guess every generation must come up with slang words even for concepts that already have real words.

3 Likes

I generally prefer thicker strings, but I use them in yoyos with wider gaps and lower walls, too. Too thick and it gets snaggy, too thin and the feel of the bind ends up feeling really off - like it’s sliding on the pads.

Thicker strings also feel better to me in the hand.

3 Likes

Yeah voluptuous just don’t sound sexy lol

1 Like

Must be a generational thing. Voluptuous sounds plenty sexy to me (maybe because I know what the words means). Thick (regardless of how you choose to spell it) just sounds like a semi-literate mistake.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t know why you feel the need to speak down to people. I know what the word means. I do read, everyday. You have literally made me want to rethink my usage of these forums.

3 Likes

Depends on the yo-yo. My bimetal superstar likes Kitty regular, others play very well with the fat.
Also depends on the response. It’s good to have a supply of both to see what works better.

As the response wears, you can switch to the thicker as well.

3 Likes

I dunno, I can appreciate thicc and voluptuous at the same time. They are both fun words.

I could do without ever reading turnt again though :rofl:

1 Like

Every yoyo is turnt… that’s how you make them on a lathe.

5 Likes

As of right now I am totally digging the Zipline Slushies. Super premium like a Katana dipped in butter or something.

I have some pretty thin string and the first time I tried one I could not get a bind. It was a boutique brand and perhaps it needed a breaking in time? I don’t know. After a few minutes of trying it out I switched to the Monkey Finger Vines Phat. Are there any tiny / boutique brands that make something as thick / similar to the Vines Phat because that is what I seem to like most but I think I need to break open / try the pack of 88s that Jeff sent me in October and stop saving them for a special occassion because that makes no sense.

Huh. That is interesting. I prefer the overall feel of thick string but never thought it could be stealing spin time. I never thought about the physics of it. I will have to do some experimenting.

They have a couple different blends available. Singh Strings are thicker, Glass Cloud Ultra is a tiny bit thinner. If you DM Cody he’ll be able to recommend a specific blend for you.

There’s also Airetic but they do only 100% nylon so it’ll be pretty different from vines. I like them anyhow.

2 Likes

I’m with my friends and I see a cute girl I’d rather say “dang, she’s thick” than voluptuous, it’s too long and doesn’t really sound casual.

And @codinghorror I prefer getting “lit”

You feel me fam?

3 Likes