What are you doing today?

Long post incoming-

Not only today, but the past week.

I started a small bike building/making project to pass time. Originally I was going to build one later as a graded project in school, but we have so much free time right now so why not try to make one now? As a prototype for the actual project if nothing else.

For starts I had to find a donor bike for parts/frame/things and, lucky me, a recycling center 5 minutes from school had a kids bike with 3 speeds and in pretty ok condition for 20€.

And I disassembled it

The bike I want to do is a Python recumbent, which is a low riding, center pivot, front wheel drive weirdo thing. This site has lots info about the model if you’re interested, with pictures and sciencey stuff explaining just why.

So far I’ve got to the point where the next step is welding the frame together and making a front fork.

Here’s the unwelded body with a duct tape mockup of the front fork
Real simple monoboom where it’s very apparent what I’ve used from the old bike.

And, what I did today, the front fork pieces (pic of only one as I was in a hurry to leave today)
forrkki

If people are interested in this and the future project where I have to make the whole frame without a donor bike (as per teachers demands, though I can use a donor for the hardware, just not pipes), I could make a thread dedicated to it?

9 Likes