What 3D printer do y’all use to print your yo-yos?

As the title says! Been interested seeing some peoples throws and I want to print ones myself.

2 Likes

Check out the “official” thread :+1: https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/let-s-talk-3d-printing/

2 Likes

Here are the ones I printed the last months. I mostly use my CR-10s pro. You should be able to do this with any average FDM printer.

12 Likes

Ender 3 Max and Pro

1 Like

Any recommendations on where to get started as well? Just trying to see how hard it would be to do.

1 Like

Get Fusion 360
Learn the basics
Get Ender 3
Learn Slicer prgm
Make yoyo

2 Likes

It depends on your budget there are tons of printers out there now. Some dirt cheap ones that take a ton of tweaking to get them to print well and then there’s extremely expensive ones that are pre-built and print fairly well out of the box with a little tinkering. It can be daunting but if you have a budget in mind it might be easier to narrow down what to get.

If you only want it to print yoyos for yourself you wouldn’t need a very large machine.

You can use basically any 3D software of your choice.
An Ender 3 printer is cheap as chips and does all you need.
For a beginner check @MarkD tutorials on his YT.
He did an great job get your CAD basics up to speed.

Overall making Yo-Yos is not rocket science so spend some time and you should be able todo it with ease.

2 Likes

How small can they get? I’d like a small footprint if possible but I’m really up for trying anything

Ender 3 is one I’ve heard a lot of. I’ll check it out. Any recommendations on what filament would be best? And would I need to do anything after printing like sand rough spots down or could I just print and play?

Start with PLA if you new to 3D printing.
No need to sand. There are many ways to improve surface quality. But I would call all of them optional.
BTW your title says y’all use to print. Think it’s actually less than a handful people actively pushing for 3D printed Yo-Yos here on the forum. If you have other example I would be curious to see since here is not to much going on.

Ender 2 Pro just released. It’s 165$ and very small.

Prusa Mini looks nice too.

Pursa is a great brand from Prague. All hand checked and good hardware but they are also reflect that in the price.
If you have the spare coin I can recommend their products. I have a i3 MK3S+ and it is a great machine but you can get a comparable machine for less then half the price.

1 Like

Yeah if I hadn’t got my new Ender 3 Pro for 99$ I was just about ready to jump on a Prusa Mini +. You really have to be ready to tune and tinker with the Enders it seems.

LOL imo if you are into 3D printing tinkering is always involved no matter what :grin:. Pursa releases their new CoreXY soon and this thing is just amazing!

1 Like
1 Like

I saw that! Really looks incredible.

I really want a coreXY. Was thinking of building a Voron

1 Like

I was going to build one too but ended up deciding against it for the time being because of the cost of the BOM was going to be way above what I wanted to spend for the machine I want lol (around $2k) They are super solid machines though and the print quality is pretty sweet but it comes at a cost.

I’d been running an ancient (by today’s standards) Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2.1 for a couple of years. I had it all dialed in and then the board fried on me last year. Completely killed the traces on the control board, even with a mosfet installed it managed to blow itself up. I think it was probably already affected before installing the mosfet…

I’m in the process of rebuilding it right now with a 64bit PandaPi board. It’s the most economical option and it’s more readily available than some of the skr boards. It can be plugged into nearly anything and controlled over octopi w/ marlin or Klipper since it’s expandable it can be moved to other machines if I decide to do a build from scratch.

These were the kinds of prints I was getting. Cthulhu bust on a guitar pick for size reference.

Cheap machines can do great things if you take the time to fix or enhance what the manufacturers cut corners on. It’s time consuming but can be rewarding.

@Zacy

The ender 3 is a super solid machine for the money and you can’t really go wrong with it. There’s tons of parts and support for them out there. It might be bigger than what some want, for those wanting something smaller, the monoprice maker select mini / monoprice delta mini or even the prusa mini is a good option. There are so many clones out there, you just need to make sure there’s support for the machine. If you can’t easily find spare parts, you run the risk of getting into a situation where you have an expensive paperweight and have to pay through the nose to get it fixed.

Monoprice we had a lot in our maker club with people staring out. I can defiantly say do not buy except you wanna just try printing ones and then scratch the hobby. Sorry @cowmamba do not wanna crash into your opinion but we have so much bad experience with these machines. I would call them toys because of maintenance is “impossible” and after 3 hours printing it is just a melted blob of plastic parts itself.
There are a lot of machines in the same price range which a definitely make you more happy.

1 Like