"We Are The Champions" on Netflix yoyo episode is SO GREAT!

You put that perfectly!

2 Likes

And I think the judging system is somewhat at fault here. There are some people whose visual style seems more compelling to me, but they donā€™t get the clicksā€¦

7 Likes

I mean, yo-yoing is rather silly :smile:

4 Likes

No! :rage:
Yoyo is not to be taken lightly!
Only super serious!
:rage:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting to think aboutā€¦ About the siliness of hobbies and sport. 22 adult man kicking a ball in a field is rather silly too, if you only think about the situation, isnā€™t it? :thinking:

10 Likes

I think silly activities suddenly become deadly serious when big money is involved. Once someone can be paid millions of dollars to play, it is no longer childā€™s play.

9 Likes

Attach a string to your finger and make a round thing twirl around and around. It does not get more serious.

7 Likes

I know itā€™s like apples to oranges at this point, but I wonder if Jennifer Baybrook feels slightly slighted?

4 Likes

I donā€™t think the producers of this series went to great lengths to research the deeper histories of their subjects. Yet another reason why they are best labeled ā€œhuman interest storiesā€ and not documentaries.

6 Likes

I thought the show was fun.

I only watched the cheese roll, pepper eating and yoyo episode. They were each pretty entertaining. I made fun of cheese rolling and after watching itā€¦ Iā€™m pretty sure all my bones would break trying that.

I think I enjoyed watching Kieran the most because I didnt know anything about him beforehand. I kinda knew who Gentry was. The name is a little familiar

10 Likes

Am I the only one who found the announcer a little patronizing?

1 Like

I think Wilsonā€™s delivery of the sometimes corny script was intended to appeal to kids. It didnā€™t come across as patronizing to me, rather, it just had that Saturday morning cartoon feel.

5 Likes

I donā€™t watch competitions but expected Tessa to crush the girl division. Guess Iā€™m biased

Yeah the documentary did have a few instances of false information. They claimed Betty was the first female to ever win a national competition.
When Jennifer Baybrook has won US Nationals, Maya Nakamura has won Japan nationals, and Kahli Evans has won Australia nationals. Even if they decided to say 1A specific, Kahli was a multitime 1A Australia nats winner.

Also, they said Evan was the first worlds finalist to make his own song, but Jensen did this in 2011.

No hate to the creators, just some things that werenā€™t really entirely true thrown in.

14 Likes

I really like the pepper eating one. I didnā€™t care for the frog jumping one at first, but it just got more and more ludicrous at the end. Definitely got some lolz out of me.

ā€œEverybody goes in with the mindset of, ā€˜Iā€™m going to win this thingā€™, but in the back of your mind youā€™re like, ā€˜Oh man if that actually wins, my nameā€™s going to be embedded in the sidewalk. Like, Iā€™m going to have to change my phone number after that!ā€™ā€ :rofl:

5 Likes

Totally matches his style of humor

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard to have a good guy without a bad guy in a story.

And they didnā€™t make him out to be too bad. They made him out to be very skillful - and good looking. lol

At the end when they highlight him again they make him out to be the deserving winner.

5 Likes

He was the executive producerā€¦ Iā€™m sure he wrote it himself, heā€™s an accomplished comedian and the writing (especially the corny jokes) is very much his style.

2 Likes

Like the crazy fantasy hair oneā€¦ $10,000 to the winner?! insaneā€¦

1 Like

After watching all of the remaining episodes in a binge watch, my wife commented that the audience participation and size of the yo-yo one was easily the largest and most engaged, although the chili pepper eating one had a very engaged audience, it did not look nearly as big. I had to remind her of Steveā€™s comment in the beginning that the World yo-yo contest is really a contest for the players. Itā€™s where we get together to reward our own. And for a lot of people itā€™s the one time a year they meet up with friends - which ties in Evanā€™s comment about how the rest of the world can see it as a simple toy, but to a few select of us itā€™s made an impact on our lives. Really got to meā€¦ lol

I had never heard of the 3 of the other contests. I knew other countries had chili eating contests and I knew fantasy hair was a thing, but I had no idea that they were at the level that the show made them out to be, which was great IMO.

I very much enjoyed it and think it really presented a fantastic view of modern yo-yo. Also, being a massive fan of The Office and Rainn Wilson - I enjoyed his commentary and presentation.

9 Likes