"We Are The Champions" on Netflix yoyo episode is SO GREAT!

Watched it while drinking my morning coffee and really enjoyed it. A loving look at our obsession that hopefully opens the door to new participants. Choosing to follow Keiran Cooper, Evan Nagao and Betty Gallegos was fun. Cameos from a TON of people - it was really fun to pick people out including a few locals to the Mile High Yoyo Club!

If you haven’t watched it yet definitely check it out. Now I gotta go watch all the other episodes - I think dog dancing is gonna be next…

PS - did anyone else feel like yoyo wasn’t really weird enough to have been included? The other stuff seems so weird. Is that how normies see yoyo!?!?!

35 Likes

No no no, yo-yoing is normal. Everyone else is weird.

45 Likes

If you could convince my ol’ lady of that, that would be swell

4 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet, but what did you think of the voice over narrator? I didn’t care for the silly over-the-top style of it from what I heard in the trailer for the episode. I’m presuming it’s the same for all the episodes, which if true is a shame (IMO). It’s hard not to think of the activity being shown as silly and goofy because of it.

4 Likes

I’m feel soooo proud watching it :sunglasses:

Love you all guys! This is a really great community

5 Likes

Just watched it. Maybe I should start competing again…

4 Likes

It doesn’t come off bad when you watch it, I didn’t notice it in a negative way while watching. It’s a really cool representation of yoyo I felt proud watching it to be a part of the community.

16 Likes

It’s definitely not shown as just a silly sport, the narrator did a good job imo.

9 Likes

I’m hoping for the Queen’s Gambit of yo-yo…

9 Likes

Given how little chess gets played in the U.S. (compared to nearly any other form of game) I’m actually surprised that Queen’s Gambit has become a breakout hit. I’d love to know what convinced non-chess players to watch it.

6 Likes

I think chess has become pretty popular with the pandemic, including a lot of spectators. (My eight year old just started chess club this year, and so I was into it.)

5 Likes

Just watched it… totally enjoyed it! I think it for sure portrayed this hobby and community in a positive light.

5 Likes

If I can be honest covid boredom is the reason I started queens gambit, then after I watched it it seemed to explode lol.

3 Likes

Same here…If you want to have extra love feeling, watch this one too:

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of games like chess, go, shogi, etc., but I felt the first episode was a real slog. I’m amazed that non-chess players got past the first episode.

1 Like

Chess had a boom on twitch earlier this year. I think a lot of those people were attracted to the show. Also Netflix marketed it well and Anya Taylor Joy is pretty well known actress.

1 Like

I thought this was the best, most representative example of yoyoing in mainstream film I’ve seen. Not derisive or dorky at all. A little humorously self-important but that’s how we act sometimes lol!

17 Likes

Lol what yoyos were featured? Waiting to see the “as seen on Netflix’ we are the champions” listings popping up on ebay. In all seriousness excited to sit down and watch it this evening.

2 Likes

Just gave it a watch, entertaining enough for a yoyoer to enjoy, and informative enough for non yoyoers to understand the community. Definitely made an enjoyable rainy day afternoon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I thought Rainn Wilson did a fine job of narrating.

5 Likes