"We Are The Champions" on Netflix yoyo episode is SO GREAT!

They did a good job capturing the energy that was live in the room. I’ll never forget that weekend and I couldn’t stop smiling!!! :grin:

7 Likes

What amazed me was how different Keiran Cooper looked when he was younger!

3 Likes

Wow. That was really good.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, I feel like they kind of did Gentry dirty. They made him look like a chad who just took the first place away from the rightful winner so he could have another trophy.

I know they couldn’t show everyone’s story, but still…

All in all I thought it was really cool though. It’s good to see the yoyo world getting more spotlight for sure.

12 Likes

Aggreed. I’d bet he is used to it by now. Seems he’s always getting dissed for some reason…

5 Likes

Haters gonna hate.

They did call him “chiseled” though.

6 Likes

“Classic 80’s villian” has got to have Gentry rolling over laughing.

Get that man a members only jacket!

10 Likes

The documentary chose to focus on people they thought would win or have a chance at winning. They likely had to make do with the footage they had of Gentry which ended up not being as much as he wasn’t who they were focusing on. As a result, the made up narrative was them trying to be creative with what they had.

10 Likes

Sweep the Leg @Gentry_Stein

6 Likes

This is really not my kind of show in general, but I agree they did a good job of taking it seriously, and showing the competitive nature.

2 Likes

I hope all that screen time isn’t going to your head.

5 Likes

:rofl: I mean I keep getting recognized on the street which is super weird. It’s mainly by my kid and dog, but opting for a hat and glasses today just to be on the safe side.

20 Likes

Haha, no, that’s Paul Dang (or was, rather, he went from super active in yoyoing to leaving completely)

Looking forward to watching this tonight.

2 Likes

Yeah, Wilson was fine. But the script they gave him got pretty cheesy fairly often. I cringed a bit now and again because of that.

4 Likes

I haven’t read everything in this thread, so apologies if this comment was already made.

I watched it last night and I think if you can view it from the perspective of a non yoyoer, which the actual target audience is, and as a human interest series and not a documentary as such.

Then I think it’s fantastic and really well done. I enjoyed it and I think its great publicity for our world to all the muggles.

I do see it getting a lot of flak, and I think it’s mostly from people who are watching it as a yoyoer and failing to see who it’s actually intended for and how they would perceive the show.

Given the time limit they have per episode I think it’s superbly made. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Well, as a yoyoer I am able to look past the cheesiness because I know that yoyo competitions aren’t actually cheesy. But the uninitiated won’t necessarily have the same filters, and may just walk away thinking, yoyoing is just as goofy as cheese rolling. :thinking:

2 Likes

They probably will. But even if it was made super classy, I reckon most people would still walk away thinking that.

4 Likes

Oh, no doubt. But there may be a lot of kids who see it and won’t be sure what they think of it. They might not conclude, all on their own, that yoyoing looks cool to them. That’s when the tone and tenor of the program–as set by the narration, as well as the editing–plays a meaningful role and either conveys “This is cool!” or “This is rather silly.”

I realize that the makers of this series have no vested interest in helping to generate interest and participation in the respective activities, but as a yoyoer I nevertheless see such programs as opportunities to do so regardless. I just wish that the style of narration had been tweaked a little to reinforce the “This is cool!” message, especially when doing so wouldn’t have had any negative impact on the final product, at least none that I can think of.

Then again, maybe my problem isn’t that I’m seeing this through the lens of a yoyoer, but through the lens of an adult.

2 Likes

Think about it. It is.

4 Likes

I idolized the Yo-Yo Man (Tom Smothers) as a kid…

4 Likes