Ways to lessen response?

Alright, I’ve just got some new response pads for my yo-yo, but they made it WAY too responsive. If there is literally any slack, the yo-yo comes back, which makes it insanely hard to pull off tricks. If the string is even SLIGHTLY loose, the yo-yo snaps back, ruining my tricks. To counteract this, I’ve been trying to find ways to lessen the response, but I can’t think of any. Do you guys have any tips or tricks?

2 Likes

Sounds like you need to just play and “Break In” the new pads.

Maybe try a thinner string until the pads break in.

Doesnt sound like the bearing is the issue, but you could always clean the bearing.

Have fun.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s true (I probably should’ve worded the title better)

Also, how long would the break in period take? I’ve had these pads for 3 days now, and I’ve played em pretty consistently (they’re yyf blue btw).

3 Likes

I have a really stupid question. I’m sorry for even asking, but I’m still gonna ask.

You took the old pads out first right?

4 Likes

Honestly after decades in IT I can’t say that’s a dumb question. The number of times “is it plugged in” ended a call a few seconds later. Baffling but real.

Personally never used the yyf blue pads I’ve only ever used white and yellow. I currently use Hollywood modern pads any time I need to cause they just work.

3 Likes

That sounds funny yet horrible at the same time :sob:

3 Likes

hollywood pads are great since it’s less yyf “competition pads” and “long lasting pads” and “original pads” and more “yeah they work.”

2 Likes

It actually sounds like a bearing issue to me. Unless the pads are not flush with the gap then it is likely that your bearing has become responsive and you need to clean it.

1 Like

Here’s the thing: I am playing with a responsive bearing, it just got a ton more responsive when I changed the pads.

1 Like

That makes more sense, I would recommend a thinner string then, or removing one pad.

2 Likes

Remove one pad, use thinner string, or used recessed flowable for the perfect response.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing that some time, would window/glass sealant work?

1 Like

Pictures of your set up?

Maybe some of the more experienced will see something your missing.

Does this help?

Do the pads stick out past the body of the yoyo? Can’t tell in the pic.

Should work fine.

They do, but it’s barely noticeable (seemingly 1-0.5mm).

1 Like

If they stick out past flush and the old pads didn’t then this is likely your problem. You can take a razor knife and carefully shave shave it down to flush. Won’t be pretty, but it’ll get the job done.

2 Likes

Would sandpaper also work? Just curious.

Wouldn’t recommend sandpaper. Will likely damage the anno.