Should a response pad stick out?

I just started yoyoing and, I don’t know if the response pads should stick out a little in a responsive yoyo or should it flush? If I it’s flush I have a hard time tugging it back, is it normal??

Please tell me, thanks!

3 Likes

For responsive I prefer flush pads and add thick lube to the bearing to dial in the desired response.

Hiya, welcome along.
I had a yo-yo factory Replay responsive version and the pads do stick out on it. I found as I progressed I found the right speed where it would slip out of a bind or not return with tugs.
Speed was key and a nice yoyo foundation and made me develop my throw cleaner and faster.

I upgraded to a replay pro and other mono metals and they all have flush pads.

If you are only doing responsive yo-yo I don’t know if your aware of the double wrap method to string up a yo-yo around the bearing, look it up if your not.

You can try lubing it up with some thick lube, if you don’t have that try different string or just a new string if you have it.
Good luck!

1 Like

What yoyo do you have? Oh, welcome to the Forums! A lot or all responsive yoyos that come with pads have pads that stick out. This can make it a little difficult to get sleep time as you are perfecting your throw and getting it straight. This frustrated me and I learned I could switch the thicker pads with thinner pads (of the same diameter). Tell us what you are throwing or post some pics so we can help you out more with advice or suggestions. Don’t get discouraged!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the nice welcome!
So your pads are flush? Alright then, I see, thanks!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!!
And thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion!

2 Likes

Please let us know the yoyo you are talking about so we can better help. Not all response pads are the same diameter so be careful when ordering.

2 Likes

i /my kiddo has a dv888 and the pads stick out fairly significantly into the gap. some are not so obtrusive

2 Likes

Welcome. Be sure to read up and ask any questions…as the saying goes “if you have the question, someone else probably has it as well”

My experience is on unresponsive yoyos, the ones you need to do a bind to get it back to your hand, the pads are normally flush, maybe slightly recessed. On responsive Yoyos, the pads are either flush or sticking into the gap a bit. My YoYoFactory One has pads that stick into the gap. This gives a snappy response, but, also can lead to frustration if your throw is tilted.

If you would like me to clarify anything, don’t hesitate to ask. Have fun learning, and remember, everyone progresses at their own pace

Thanks!
But if it’s flush I have a harder time tugging it back up, any tips?

1 Like

It sounds like your yoyo was described as unresponsive when you purchased but you did not understand what that meant. It means it will not return with a tug. You have to learn a bind.

No, it was described as responsive

There ya go! Check out Doc’s video I added!

And can I put one flush and one sticking out??

Thanks!!

Dude, I have no idea what you are dealing with since you are keeping it a secret what yoyo you are talking about. Post pics! Both pads should come flush from the manufacturer.

2 Likes

Have you tried thick lube yet? Vaseline works. Just press a liberal amount into the sides of the bearing and it’ll be a snappy response with flush pads.

Good luck and happy yoyo!

You can open the yoyo and add some lube to the bearing. They sell “thick lube” which is for responsive yoyos, but, 3-in-1 oil, sewing machine oil, grease…all will slow the bearing’s spin a little and make the yoyo more responsive. Even the “thin lube” they sell for unresponsive yoyos will make the yoyo responsive if you use too much (like a single full drop).

Here is a video on how to lube the bearing

https://yoyoexpert.com/learn/410-maintenance-lube.php

There is a whole maintenance section under “learn” on the YoyoExpert site. André and his team do a way better job of showing than I do of telling :slight_smile:

Which vaseline?