Was the Onedrop x Clyw Summit ahead of its time?

I think the Sugar Glider was an early iteration of the Cascade.

4 Likes

I love my beater summit, definitely a yoyo ahead of it’s time!

3 Likes

Patina. It was nickel plated so it’ll tarnish over time from the salts and oils from your hands. This particular one I accelerated the patina with a “super secret” solution (mustard) to turn it dark in a few hours. Then I spot polished it to the desired effect.

3 Likes

What makes this “ahead of its time”? Just that you think it is still good?

I am not sure that means it was “ahead of its time”. What is there about this yo-yo that is innovative; or had design elements that no one else had at the time?

7 Likes

You don’t understand because you are behind your time

4 Likes

Ahead of it’s time would probably mean better than most other things at the time. Plus or minus still being relevant today.

I’ve made the argument before, but the Markmont Classic came out in 2014 and I would argue that it was ahead of it’s time. I think it’s most recent run was in 2020 and has no problem selling out quickly. It will probably have more runs in the future. It surpassed most yoyos at it’s time and arguably still surpasses a lot of yoyos today. It has also had a reimagining in the 7075 Magnum Opus.

When looking at the Markmont line (Markmont Project, Markmont Next, and Wooly Markmont), it almost seems like Mark traveled to the late 2010s or early 2020s, grabbed the Classic, and traveled back to 2014. It likely paved the way for longer spinning, faster, more competitive organic yoyos.

It is a reMARKable piece. Let me know if I forgot anything.

Edit: I don’t think the Summit was ahead of it’s time. A CLYW that I do think was ahead of it’s time was the Chief. Came out in 2011, introduced double rims, larger diameter than was common at the time, had tons of runs, still plays incredibly today, reimagined in the Pickaxe, inspired a ton of other designs, has a new version coming out from CLYW in the near(?) future.

3 Likes

That really was the best collab ever

2 Likes

So cool.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was a head of its time… I asked if it was to get the communitys opinion. I have a ton of top end yoyos going all the way up to $1000. To me… Personally… It rivals the best of the best and was made in 2013. So I wanted to know… What does the community think of the summit. All I know is that it’s something very special :blush:

2 Likes

Great response! Couldn’t have said it better

1 Like

Only thing is… I like the summit much more than the chief in terms of feel and play. The chief was my first top end metal

2 Likes

The Summit has been one of my favs ever since it came out in 2013. When I got back into throwing last year, I didn’t actually have one anymore, so it was one of the first throws I picked up when I began building my collection back up. I definitely think it was ahead of its time, even solely based on the fact that the Free Solo is basically a 2020 version of the Summit, and it’s an absolute banger of a throw. Summits and 7 Summits are still highly sought after and widely loved today so I’d say they held up actually a lot better than most throws released during that time. Here’s my 2 Summits (28s and We Are Throwers Edition) with 2 of my Free Solos. Love these throws and the history behind them!

5 Likes

I’m fascinated by the Free Solo. It sounds like it was made without the knowledge or consent of CLYW. Whether their consent was needed or should have been considered could be argued. It seemed at the time like they weren’t very happy about it, but I can’t remember where I read that and can’t be 100% sure. It also has the nipple that CLYW is so well known for without the involvement of CLYW.

The other strange thing is that there is no lengthy write up on One Drop’s website like most (if not all?) other yoyos have.

3 Likes

100% agree. Beautiful collection

2 Likes

Sorry, your reply to my question makes no sense. Why would this yo-yo be ahead of its time?

Yoyorecreation released the Draupnir in 2013. That was ahead of its time in many respects.

Instead of trying to be clever and insulting, why not answer my question?

2 Likes

Then no; it was not ahead of its time. It might be your opinion it is a good yo-yo; but what qualities does it posses that makes it innovative - or “before its time”?

The Draupnir was released in 2013. That had innovative construction and design. What does the Summit bring to the table?

5 Likes

Dude… these are yo-yos… it’s not that deep :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

No…not like the Stan Zygo Wheels were!

3 Likes

Well I think I watched something about MMC and how he tried to keep that old school flavor but newer school “yoyo tech” a transition from and homage to the past.

1 Like

And I feel like “ahead of its time” could be a negative thing at the time. Misunderstood or unpopular until later where it could be fully appreciated