Videos of me not landing Spirit Bomb

I’m starting to feel a little defeated here by Spirit Bomb. Its the second hop I’m having the issue with. I figured posting videos maybe someone will see what I’m doing wrong and can maybe help…

This first one I feel like I’m just like flipping it up and over but landing in the right mount I need to be in? Not sure exactly…

This second one I THINK may be the proper way I should be attempting it but missing the triangle?

If anyone could help id greatly appreciate it. I’m so stubborn I can’t stop :sob: Any tips/advice is highly appreciated…

3 Likes

I think you have a little more control if your wrist mount was a little tighter and not so far up your arm.

2 Likes

A few things have helped me immensely. And while I’m not 100% consistent, I’m landing it more often than not.

1. I really try to avoid hopping the yo-yo up and out of the string. But USE the string while moving my hands out and away to start the motion - to pop the yo-yo up on the air. So use the strings moving both hands in the opposite direction to pop the throw up

2. getting in the right set up before I pop.

Making sure I’m set up this way, “moving” into the right space makes me hit it more often than not. This positioning along with the “feel” above has done wonders.

3. probably not as important but I try to think where I want the throw to land. Closer to my throw hand so it goes into the triangle.

I try to pop “up and away” from where the triangle will be so it lands as close to my TH as I can. You can also just pay more attention to where it is and move around

Hope this helps, there have helped me a lot

2 Likes

I try to keep it at my wrist usually, I did those videos kinda quick to show what I’m doing. I did notice one tutorial the string holding the yoyo was like not drooping as low as mine. Does that make it easier?

You really need to maintain the V that the yo-yo falls into. Having it draped over the back of your TH you are able to control the opening on the string a lot easier. My TH really never changes shape throughout the trick.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I know what you mean. Kinda like pulling the strings apart to raise it to go up I think? I’ll keep that in mind. Im gonna check out the post you have the screenshots of now too. Really appreciate you you guys taking the time to respond. This is the first trick that got me stuck this much so far. Gonna keep at it though!

1 Like

Yea that’s it.

Honestly that was the BIGGEST thing that helped me.

Idk why- but when I started doing that I was getting it much much more

1 Like

I see what your saying now. I been trying to keep it behind my thumb but not as far up my hand as the photo you posted. Definitely will give that a try and work on keeping it there.

This trick didn’t really click for me until I was super confident with the wrist mount.

This video is an excellent resource.

2 Likes

Thanks I’m gonna check it out. I just tried the trick a couple times from where you have the string positioned in that photo and it does seem like a much more manageable way of doing it. Gotta take in all this information and try it again in a little.

2 Likes

There’s some more advice here (Does anyone have any tips or tricks for learning Spirit Bomb? - #18 by safetypin), including a couple of videos i recorded. I missed the second one the same way you are missing it. I think for me, i don’t usually land it correctly, and i learned it, maybe 1-1.5 years ago? Looks like you’re doing the motions correctly, but maybe some alignment before the second hop, maybe your hands end up at an angle to one another at the end? I think an important thing is moving your hands together on the same plane.

1 Like

I started to get the first hop more consistent when I tried to focus all my energy into paying attention to where my nth index finger is hitting the string as my hands cross. This is so hard to explain but it should pass through one string segment as you cross. If it passes through two strings, you’ll end on the inside (like in that first video). The first hop caught me up a lot too because I couldn’t tell how I was getting it right vs wrong. Once you get the first hop down, it gets way easier to focus on the second. That is just like practice and aim and timing but you can pull the Yoyo to the string like in an Eli hop, you just have to hesitate a sec to make sure the triangle is open.

1 Like

Thanks! I came across your post when I was learning the first part but haven’t seen it again since. Helps to see the movements. Yours looks super clean. It seems like every time I cross my hands I only have one string against my non throw hand. Any idea what is causing that to happen?’ Is it my alignment?

It’s so weird I got kwyjibo pretty consistently so I thought this wouldn’t be so bad. I was mistaken.

You can try to drop your th low like below the Yoyo after you double on to get that feel of how to hit that string but it’s weird because it does like and upside down ripcord type thing. This is a double edged sword though because it makes the triangle and second hop harder though.

2 Likes

I think I got the first one somewhat down. I’m hung up on the second one unfortunately. I wish it was easy as the first for me. :sob:

1 Like

I had trouble figuring that first hop out consistently and by the time I finally got it, the second part had clicked. Lol good luck

1 Like

when I saw your video with one string on your non-th, I thought that something didn’t look right, but it is. I just tried it and found only a single string on my non-th like yours. When I tried to do the second hop, I just completely missed just about everything, and the yoyo spun out. When I was first learning it, I tried to do the second hop motion more slowly, because the yoyo would never go through the triangle in front of my throw-hand, which is (I’m pretty sure) the problem you’re having. I don’t remember doing anything to learn how to do that better. I moved on to learning other tricks, and at some point I went back and tried it again, and I was a little better at getting it to land. I’m still not super consistent with it, but it’s also not a trick that I really love doing, so I don’t do it very often. There is something I think to the advice about adjusting the position of the wrist mount before you start the trick; having everything a little closer together than it is in those videos, and trying to adjust the string distribution to make the triangle part in front of your throw-hand a little bigger before you start might help. Also try doing it in half-steps? Like don’t completely uncross your hands while the yoyo is up in the air. Just move your non-th back, but then gently lower the yoyo through the triangle on your throw-hand instead of trying to do that all at once while the yoyo is in the air.

I feel like this has happened to me with a bunch of tricks; I could follow the instructions understand what the yoyo was supposed to do, but couldn’t get it to work out correctly, and after moving on to other things, I came back and found it to be a little easier each time.

1 Like

Thanks. I been trying some advice here and just keep ending in that one string against my non throw hand mess. You think if I try it faster it might help? I think tonight I’m gonna record it in slow motion and compare what I’m doing. Ill try out the half step idea and see how it goes. I did try this dumb idea to see exactly what the yoyo needs to do with my girlfriend holding the yoyo not moving and it in the position it should be as I undo my twisted arms…That wasn’t happening of course though haha. I’m gonna give it a couple more days and maybe if it’s not getting anywhere I’ll come back to it sometime. I just hate doing that for some reason.

Edit…I just tried moving my hands alot faster and I just seen the position I want to land basically with 2 strings against my finger but missed the triangle. Kinda gave me a little glimmer of hope.

hold up. i think i was confused about which ‘one string against my non throw hand’ you’re talking about. From what i can tell, your first video is exactly right. I mean, i can’t see what happens when the yoyo is in the air, because it goes out of frame, but your landing in the first video looks right to me. there’s an extra wrap on the string coming off your wrist, and only a single segment of string on your non-throw hand. In the second video, it looks to me like the only thing wrong is you miss the bottom string landing, that happens to me pretty regularly.

1 Like

on second thought (after i did the trick again twice) I think i get what you mean. you are missing a second wrap around your non-throw-hand finger, but i wouldn’t call it a mess. your NTH finger is missing one of the string segments, but you’re not doing something major wrong. you still do the regular wrist-mount dismount.

On third thought (after a few more attempts trying to recreate your ending), you’re just missing the string when you uncross your hands. In the first video, that is all that goes wrong. everything else is right. The second wrap comes from your NTH finger intersecting the string coming directly from the yoyo while it’s in the air, very much like Kwijibo, only you have the wrist mount underneath it in the air. I would recommend trying to not hop the yoyo up quite so high, and maybe bend your knees when the yoyo starts going down to give yourself a little more time to intersect the string with your NTH.

when i consciously tried to pull my NTH closer to my body while i uncrossed my arms, i missed the string and ended up exactly like you did in the first video, but i also noticed your whole hand was in the loop, not just your finger. So, i want to say push your NTH a little further from your body when uncrossing, but i’m not sure how you’re missing the string and landing with your whole NTH in the loop, and if you push it further away, you might end up with the loop closer to your elbow, which isn’t what you want.

1 Like