Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

It produces a unique delriny feel???

I’m with you though, budget metals are so plentiful that delrin doesn’t make the most sense for a mass produced yoyo. Stuff made of 7068 is the same price and often cheaper, you can’t beat it!

4 Likes

Especially when, unless we are talking about a wooden yoyo, there is nothing organic about it.

1 Like

I haven’t read a majority of the thread but I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned a handful of times.

The constant complaining about competition not taking creativity into account is ridiculous (this coming from someone who generally dislikes fast/tech/I-can’t-see-the-yoyo-moving type yoyoing). Look at other activities that are scored individually (gymnastics and ice skating come to mind), there are tricks or moves that score and there are tricks that don’t. It’s hard to quantify scoring as it is, but not as hard as it would be if we started trying to quantify creativity. There needs to be some sort of metric that is objective and for that we have clicks.

10 Likes

I’m not a fan of the create-tangled-string-patterns-and-constantly-pick-at-the-strings-to-extricate-the-yoyo-from-them style of play.

7 Likes

Sameee

i like to play with the yoyo not the string

2 Likes

I disagree. Manipulating dense tech takes a lot of skill, and it’s not something everyone can do. I think it’s fun to watch mount transitions and how people mess with the string to create original tricks.

3 Likes

i swear this phrase annoys me to no end.

14 Likes

Idk, slack elements are some of my favorites and are far from intricate tech string webs.

2 Likes

I am with you on this. I find myself enjoying 4a and 5a videos. Even though I only have the skill for 1a, watching 1a is like “oh look, another player tying knots in his string but not tying knots”

2 Likes

Tech creators was a good group with a good cause but the community crapped all over it so it was eventually disbanded.

-unpopular yoyo opinion

Also, Im a fan of the create-tangled-string-patterns-and-constantly-pick-at-the-strings-to-extricate-the-yoyo-from-them

7 Likes

I was unaware that this occurred. Tech creators videos were amazing. What happened?

2 Likes

“High performance, competition-oriented” is not the opposite of “fun”.

I kinda twitch whenever I hear this from a reviewer:

“There’s lots of rim weight, making it very stable, but it’s still a really fun yoyo.”

10 Likes

Right?!

2 Likes

Speaking specifically about bi metals, they do often lack character, IMO. I get where they’re coming from with those comments. I never reach for my bi metals and I’ve essentially stopped even checking specs when a new one is released. Not saying they are inherently un-fun, but Most people don’t do minute-long contest combos. It’s like manual vs automatic debate. I get it, modern DCTs are faster around a track, but I do a lot more driving than I do racing and I prefer the engagement (“fun”) that the manual transmission provides

2 Likes

Yeah but for a lot of people comp bimetals have more character than other yoyos. I have a lot of fun playing with bimetals, more than with other yoyos. It varies per person.
Bimetals don’t lack character to me, and it bothers me when people say they do.

3 Likes

The whole point of a bi metal yoyo is to move as much weight as possible to the rims. For the most part, they all have the same design philosophy, and it’s not “lets play with different weight distributions”. The actual shape of the aluminum body make less of a difference because again, most of the weight ends up in the same place, regardless. There’s a reason that so many people say the same thing about bi metals feeling sterile or whatever, and that’s because there’s some truth to it. I fully understand that some people appreciate being able to do long combos, or to re-try the same trick over and over again that they’re working on, and that’s fun to them. I am not saying that because of massive rim weight, a yo-yo can’t be fun. But in the end, most well-made bi metals all feel the same to me. Very stable, very predictable, with the only main difference being the perceived effort it takes to redirect the movement of the yo-yo

1 Like

I dont think theres anything wrong with yoyo companies attempting to put out the best performing yoyo they can, and people enjoying them.

1 Like

There’s not, and I’m not trying to say there is. But if there is a best performing design, then it is what it is. There’s can’t be 8 best performing designs. Point being, you get to a point where the variation in feel on the string is more and more marginal. This isn’t a discussion about performance, it’s about preference. If you look at road bike design over the last 10years (I’m sure most people don’t), all large companies started to use 3D models for analyzing the best design for aerodynamics. Guess what? Most high end race bikes all look the same now. They have loads of performance, but they’re all essentially the same bike with different labels. That being said, not everyone is a racer and not everyone thinks an uber stiff race razor is fun just because it saves the most amount of watts

5 Likes

One, this thread is too long. Two, the recess first base plays poorly and way too light. Maybe it’s the one I tried.

3 Likes

Ball bearings should be made out of cheese, and response pads should be made of dried mayonnaise.

7 Likes