Wooden yoyos are bad. PERIOD.

5 Likes

???

5 Likes

G2 did not invent the swirl

16 Likes

Small bearing is the best bearing.
Long/floating axles > shorter axles
Yoyos don’t have to be smooth to be good.
Bulk string > boutique string

11 Likes

I actually sorta agree on this :joy:

4 Likes

So this means you have tried a tiwalker correct? :thinking:

Unless that happens to be an unpopular opinion you don’t agree with? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I haven’t, so I don’t have a definitive opinion – however in the past I have often found that people’s nostalgia for Ye Olde Timey Things That Were Real Good Back Then has unfairly colored their perception of how good those items are today compared to their modern equivalents.

So I’d say… I’m really skeptical :wink:

I mean, there’s a reason we all don’t go back and live like people did in the 1800s, man. Progress happens because it’s better.

5 Likes

But, we’re not talking about technology that’s over 200 years old

3 Likes

True, but the rate of change accelerates over time. The difference between 2003 yo-yo and 2018 yo-yo is quite dramatic. Remember that unresponsive wasn’t even a thing in 2003, outside of a super niche subculture (beefcaking, etc). That was only 15 years ago!

This is why some people argue there’s going to be the so-called “singularity” but … that’s a bit beyond the pale to me. I also think we reach natural asymptotic limits in some sciences where it becomes exponentially harder to make progress.

5 Likes

Unresponsive yoyos under 65 grams don’t feel right. 68 is the sweet spot.

6 Likes

say-it-to-my-face-bro

12 Likes

Clyw has declined in quality

14 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t get that “this is a clyw” feel when I throw their new yoyos.

10 Likes

I would agree with that, but I’d also argue there is a “sameness” to much of CLYW’s total catalog with a handful of exceptions. CLYW does not do variation well.

8 Likes

I can understand that at times the technology and resources we have makes it harder to “progress” in the sense of making a better performing yo-yo, and having played a TiWalker I think that “asymptote” was almost reached. It’s not the best performance-wise, but I couldn’t tell you many Titaniums that play a lot better. I see most people who hate on it haven’t played it, and those that have either say it’s the greatest thing ever, which it’s not imo, or that it’s at least a really fun throw and extremely good for it’s time. So sure it’s not the best, but I don’t think anyone will deny it’s amazing. Swing by sometime and I’ll prove it to you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have an unpopular opinion: it’s pointless to take any of these discussions seriously, as its all based on personal opinions.

Popular opinion: it sure is fun tho :tada:

10 Likes

15 Likes

One is all you need.

5 Likes

Wood…metal. Whatever. The best kind of yoyo is the one a person has fun throwing. Our opinions are not definitive, they are subjective and based on our preferences and biases.

2 Likes

We’re going to be saying this about polyester strings soon, NYLON OR GET OUT!

3 Likes