Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

Duncan didn’t invent 5A :wink:

You’re going to like the new CoreCo yoyo if you like regens :grin:

If you’re expecting a really bad yoyo, you’re going to be disappointed. YYF has them for $10 right now during their B Grade Sale, I think YYE may have gotten them as well.

7 Likes

DURFEE LIVES!!!

~zammy

5 Likes

You bet! Nice to see you’re still around as well, along with the other community members that are still active. I went to NER recently and it was awesome seeing Andre, Eric Koloski, and Daniel Dietz again, as they were part of my (relatively) local scene when I was more involved.

I saw that you have your own yo-yo model now too, congrats! Are you still working on Moebius stuff?

6 Likes

22 posts were split to a new topic: Are yo-yo video reviews useful?

Well it does say Unpopular Yoyo Opinions…

I like dominoes pizza best
I don’t see anything wrong with unskilled yoyoers also giving reviews, after all a review is just one persons opinoin.
I don’t see anything wrong with the little guy making yoyo’s in there shed and selling them if there good.

5 Likes

All joking aside…I agree.
Try a brooklyn style crust, extra sauce, double cheese and double pepperoni! Or regular cheese, double pepperoni and cheddar cheese.
That or a brooklyn style crust, extra alfredo sauce, double chicken and philly steak.
Can get these for $8 with carryout!

I just made myself hungry! grrr it’s too early for dinner! lol

5 Likes

Just Double Pepperoni is good for me.
Oh, and i also like cake which is not an unpopular opinion, but i thought i’d just throw it in the mix. It may count as a double negative though.

2 Likes

Mmm! Cake!!

16f5d9c8cf5e484781c3eaa34f3955b1

d511f9436e418e8fbfa11ca980fb12c8--th-birthday-birthday-cakes

9 Likes

Pie > cake

1 Like

Okay I’m new to this thread and I’m not going to read what’s been posted so far. I’m sure someone has beaten me to it but splashes and half-swaps are lame.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, you just made me hungry🙂

1 Like

8 Likes

Sorry I had to say it. I do like the ‘cosmic’ splash on black, that looks really cool.

I’m more picky about the colors used than the ano type. I don’t normally like yo-yos where there’s too much going on outside of the “galaxy” like color combination. I don’t think a large majority of color combos look nice though so if it’s a choice between one of those and a solid color I’m going with the solid.

My pink purple fade Kayak is the most gorgeous yo-yo I’ve ever owned though that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Badly used meme. 0/10.

2 Likes

12 Likes

No Way ! Cake > Pie. That said, what kind of pie were you thinking?

1 Like

Here’s another one: This is slowly turning into “popular yo-yo opinions”, not “unpopular.”

But maybe this is also a popular opinion, which would mean I should delete this comment.:thinking:

8 Likes

This thread is getting off topic but here’s another unpopular opinion:

I’ll take a similar yo-yo from a dominant, established brand over a boutique yo-yo every time.

I know the quality of what I’m getting, I know generally how the brand’s yo-yos will feel and play, I know that the manufacturer has been around long enough to work out the dos and do nots of the process. if I want multiples down the line or can’t buy immediately upon release I don’t have to worry about tracking them down through the BST because of stupidly tiny runs. Prices are usually more reasonable with bigger brands because of the larger runs (among other factors, I imagine more experienced companies spend less time fine tuning and iterating on prototypes) as well.

Also people take for granted that the reason most of these smaller companies can exist is because of the work put in by the larger manufacturers to get us to this point.

The attitude of them being a large corporate chain restaurant compared to a local mom and pops isn’t accurate, it’s more like a new local family owned restaurant vs an established regional family owned chain. And there’s a higher chance of your order coming out right when that regional chain has a streamlined proven process. Lots of new local restaurants in my area go out of business because either their food isn’t good enough to stand out or they did not have the management skills required to operate the business. Just remember a large yo-yo company is still just a yoyo company, not too big in the grand scheme of things (except maybe Duncan/Flambeau).

The exception to this will probably be if the boutique company offers a product that I can’t get something similar to somewhere else.

Another one that’s related:

Just because someone is really good at yoyoing it doesn’t mean they will make great yo-yos. The best players in a sport usually don’t end up making the best coaches. If an incredible yo-yoer leaves a team to start his/her own company I don’t automatically assume the yo-yos will be incredible as well.

4 Likes

Every companies yoyo is quality now though and most of the yoyos on the market nowadays are made by the same machine shop in China.

I think I would’ve agreed more with what you said 10 years ago

I do agree there are pioneers that have advanced our knowledge of good yoyo design and thats why it’s so easy for someone to design and create a good yoyo nowadays but those respective companies aren’t really around anymore or aren’t making modern competitive yoyos anymore(YYJ, Yomega, etc). YYF has been one of the biggest companies for a very long time and have always been ONE of the leading innovators but I’m not sure they were ever THE leading innovator like yomega, Duncan, YYJ, etc. I guess you could say maybe the 888 was but I’m not exactly sure if that brought anything really new or game changing to the table. I wasn’t around at this time though and its definitely arguable since they were so popular and used by top players.

Also tbh one big reason these small companies can exist now too is because of that Chinese manufacturing company that makes it so easy and cheap to get a run of quality smooth yoyos out

YYF has always been a big contributor for attracting new interested throwers because of their budget lines though so there’s definitely that.

3 Likes