Under rated yoyos

lol

I always wanted one. Those look so cool.

2 Likes

Onedrop T1.

2 Likes

Yeah there are just too many releases for most of them to be a big deal. I get that it’s a dream of some people to be able to make and sell yo-yos, but how many of them are bringing anything new to the table? And how well does the really unique stuff actually sell if you choose to go that route?

I just don’t see how a lot of these smaller brands will be around 5 years from now. And there’s at least one larger brand that I’m not sure will be either. The only sure things (in the Western market at least) are YYF and Duncan.

4 Likes

Since you own, or have owned, the Draupnir and the Hummingbird, what would you say the Edolass brings to the table that isn’t already covered by those two (and others like them, like say, the G2 Elite).

3 Likes

A C and a 3

1 Like

Onedrop Prescription

3 Likes

Never had an Elite. It’s kind of natural to compare the Hummingbird and Draup because they’re like in the same category but the feel of the Hummingbird didn’t really remind me of the Draup at all. If you have both I don’t think you really have the same yoyo.

On the other hand, I mentioned before that the first yoyo I thought of when I threw the Edolass was the Draupnir. Similar kick, feel, and pacing. It doesn’t feel quite as dense or jarring to throw probably because of the material and extra width and maybe weight ring placement but they’re very similar.

The OD was extremely powerful but it’s larger size and weight disguised it a bit and made it feel a little more mellow. Interestingly, while it was a player, I didn’t enjoy throwing it that much and didn’t find myself reaching for it too often.

1 Like

I think the the YYF TooHot was pretty underrated. I really like that yoyo.

5 Likes

YYF Role Model - A fun organic-ish shape that never really caught on with people for some reason.
C3 Speedaholic - One of the first budget plastics to show that “budget plastic” could still mean vibe free yoyo.
YYF Protostar - An outstanding high performance plastic. No, these weren’t under-rated in their prime. But in recent years, they’ve fallen out of favor. This is silly. They were a fine yoyo at $35, at today’s $15 price, nothing can beat it.

5 Likes

I’ve gotta say it. Yoyojam Surge. I put a nice bearing in it and I’m scared of only having two (one backup). I’m up to 12 unresponsive yoyos, some approaching a $100 price tag (my max so far), and I keep pulling out my Surge. Maybe abominable for tricks I haven’t gotten to yet, but tossing it around with some combos that start with a trapeze etc. I can’t get enough of this yoyo. It feels good, it’s easier for me to land tricks than a Replay pro (for reasons I can’t figure out… like my reaction times actually prefer the slightly faster one?), it’s pretty darn stable, and it has a long spin time. For a daily plastic throw I might bump on something, I finally got around to getting the Replay, thinking it would play better than Surge, but no; I still like the Surge a bit more. The yellow looks a little plain but certain fluorescent lights you pass by make it flare up like there’s a black light around, and I can almost smell lemons. If it’s polycarbonate it’s…got less carbon or something. Slightly softer.
Speaking of YYJ, I really wonder what the almost Delrin-like, kinda soapy plastic of the inner portions of Classic is? Nothing like standard polycarbonate. Soft.
I like my YYJ Classic and play it, too, but the Surge spins longer, keeping its forceful inertia, at least as well as my Protostar with its metal ring. I can’t believe I only got two Surges when they were clearing them for $7 or $8 bucks here, lol. I just didn’t know how in love I’d fall with it as a daily plastic “might bump something” throw.

I got three YYF G5’s when they were on clearance here for $30. I thought I’d take one or two and just pull off the hubstacks and/or the big wide saucer-like hubstacks, along with the external A bearings, and just use them as nice metal H-throws that you can’t finger spin (thinking they’d have more spin time bare), but I learned they’re designed to have them on, or else they seem like they’re not as stable (when they’re bare). Even with the big wide stack assemblies on, they spin a good time and play nicely, and it’s just a bonus to grab them for some gyroscopic fun.

I adore my TopYo Photons, but I guess they get some love openly. To me they’re underrated, though, even still. Just awesome fun. I wouldn’t even throw mine until I had a backup, and it’s nice they’ve made more.
Someone called Photon “scarcely a bimetal” (because both metals are types of aluminum) but that’s not so IMHO. There’s quite a difference between the two metals (as I make aerospace ad communications parts from 7003 and 7075 used and I’m convinced if the yoyo was monometal (with exactly the same dimensions and not more of a bulging rim, perhaps) there’s no way it would spin quite like it does. It doesn’t take that much of a density difference between the two metals to enhance the effect of the rim weight.

Will DEFINITELY be getting a Yoyo Empire East Wind to balance quite how big my Thesis Serenede is (will be… when it gets here… hopefully… been some weird delays but that’s what I get for ordering from a low-volume outfit with “squabbles” going on in it instead of YYExpert, but YYE was out by the time I knew about the Serenede). A number of Yoyo Empire throws I want.

I also wish I had a Top Yo Dominator. I know there are similar yoyos even coming down in price even more, but my Top Yo Photons are the deadest smooth yoyos I own, and so it makes me want to choose Top Yo for bimetal (unless I can afford to buy USA).

4 Likes

So do you feel that the Edolass presents a different enough play experience that it is worth getting if one already has a Draupnir?

2 Likes

Just look at this performance.

Kinda validates what @andy569 has been saying about the Edolass. It is definitely a very good yoyo. Probably a product of C3YoyoDesign’s knowledge gained throughout the years of evolving the Krown over multiple iterations. That as well as lessons learned from the Atomic Crash’s design.

2 Likes

yyf horizon

1 Like

Everything from 44RPM and CoreCo. These companies yoyos do not get near the attention they should.

4 Likes

I really do think the Horizon is underrated lol.

1 Like

I agree with 44rpm, but I think coreco actually gets a fair amount of attention from what I see on instagram.

2 Likes

THANK YOU.
This needs to be said more often

1 Like

I still can’t decide if it is worth it to me to spend $145 on a yoyo that looks like it fills the same niche in my collection–and scratches the same itch–as my Draupnirs and Hummingbirds and Elite.

2 Likes

Have to look more, I just see most talk about the Alleycat’s. The Standard was talked about a lot, but it seems to have died, that thing is such an amazing yoyo. But the Tako, Diesis, Parser haven’t heard much about. Hoping once people get the Qubit and Mothra in their hands more talk will get going. 2 more great yoyos in their lineup.

2 Likes