un-Screwed?

I do not.

1 Like

Noted.

I do sometimes. Especially if I already have the yoyo open after fixing an axle knot. It’s easy enough. You just have to be careful not to get the string wedged in between the bearing and bearing seat.

3 Likes

I have changed 95% of my strings by taking the yoyo apart. It hasn’t ever introduced vibe that I have noticed and vibe matters to me. I used to open my yoyos countless times everyday to fix axle knots. I recently started using a pick just because I find it faster.

My real question is has anyone ever stripped a yoyo for real? I never have cross threaded a yoyo and I can be careless.

3 Likes

Just in case it hasn’t been said yet, if you unscrew a quality metal yoyo, then when you screw it back together, and there’s vibe, there’s two likely causes. 1. The yoyo has a tight bearing seat, and you actually haven’t fully tightened it. Tight bearing seats can be fixed by taking some thin lube, putting a drop of it on a q-tip, and applying it to the bearing seat post. 2. You crossthreaded the yoyo, meaning you misaligned the threading, just be more careful putting the yoyo together to prevent this. Also, stripping a yoyo takes a fair amount of time. Unless the axle is super short, it’s actually fairly difficult to over tighten and strip the threads. Maybe the worlds strongest man could strip a yoyo with a longer axle like the CLYW Avalanche.

4 Likes

Challenge accepted, send me your avalanche.

5 Likes

What do I get if you can’t haha

3 Likes

Hopefully your Avalanche back? Haha

1 Like

Then I imagine you’ll get an avalanche with a few dings. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

This confuses me​:joy::joy:

2 Likes

A friend of mine mangled my rec rev sill goose and stripped it somehow…

Next contest I see ya at I’ll give you the challenge haha. My Avalanche was retapped for a huge axle so good luck!

2 Likes

Back when I first started, I unscrewed my yoyo to do everything, from taking knots out to putting on string. The yoyo is still fine today, but I think the threads are definitely worn.

1 Like

These replies have bee reassuring, thanks guys.

I’ll continue to be extra careful when opening up my throws.

I know this is impossible to quanitfy, but how tight do you guys screw your throws back together? I’ve been erring on the side of caution, and definitely making sure I don’t hulk squeeze them as that does seem like it could cause some issues.

I usually spin the halves until they stop spinning freely, then tighten until I feel resistance. Then one solid snug down and viola!

Haven’t had any come loose on me, and they come apart without much force at all, so I don’t think im overtightening, but maybe theyd be fine with even less

2 Likes

The old rule of thumb (or maybe we should call it the rule of palms) is to hold the yoyo between your palms and tighten it until it slips on your palm (w/o gripping with your fingers). The method you describe is pretty much the way I do it and it works fine.

4 Likes

Ahhh the rule of palm. I like that. Gonna give it a shot next time, thanks

Like I said I always err on the side of too loose, and haven’t had any problems yet.

I’m kinda worried that it’ll come loose while playing though. I’m assuming that’d be noticeable before the halves actually separated and flew across the room though. Maybe not though I’m not sure. Anyone got any insight on throws coming loose?

If the halves comes loose in play you are definitely not closing it tight enough. Very uncommon for metal yo-yos to come loose during play. I thought @jhb8426’s recommendation of “palm tight” was a great guideline, so try that.

My 2018 Eh comes loose all the time, as I can’t seem to come to terms with wood “threads” :frowning:

1 Like

Haven’t had an issue with my EH coming apart yet. Put a dime in each side and give it a good crank. I’ve also heard a layer of plumbers tape in the threads can work. Or if you want us to take a look at it feel free to send it back. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh so this challenge has been rigged from the start I see haha

2 Likes

I’ll take that challenge :wink:

1 Like

Three things I do:

1. A simple thing I do when I unscrew my yoyos to do maintenance is put two small triangle shaped pieces of tape (scotch or masking tape works) on either half pointing towards each other like little arrows across the gap (a lot of the YoyoFactory plastics have little “tightening point” arrows that do basically the same thing). That way I know pretty closely how much to retighten the yoyo if/when I need to open one for some reason.

2. I also use a paperclip, bent open, straightened and bent at one end into a little hook to pick out axle knots. I just keep one on my keychain or in my little yoyo bag where I have some extra string and lube. The paperclip pick makes it so I don’t have to open the yoyo to get out knots (unless it’s a REALLY bad one, but that’s rare).

3. I don’t unscrew to put new string on…I just untwist and re-twist it over one half. I’ve never had any issues with tension or anything doing it this way.

1 Like