Type 8 cotton string?

I’m just wonderimg what your experiences are with type 8 cotton string.

Do you find it generally give just as good response in your fixed axle yoyos as type 10?

Oddly, I’m finding that type 6 polyester is giving me better binds on my wooden fixed axles than my type 10 cotton. I find it curious that a thinner string would provide better response. Maybe polyester grips the response area better than cotton rather than it being a matter of thickness? Not sure.

I think it depends greatly on the yo-yo. I’ve had good results with type 8 and type 10 on different fixed yo-yos. Be careful with poly though, it can be more prone to breaking with the increased friction from a wood axle yoyo.

I use a lot of type 8 cotton, and more of slick 8 (type 8 50/50 cotton/poly) string on my fixed axle yoyos. Type 6 is too unresponsive. Slick lasts longer than 100% cotton. Also use it on all of my bearing loopers.

Don’t I know it! I threw a hard sleeper to perform a superman recently using a new poly string. Iy only took 2 hard throws and it flew off the string and hit the wall.

That being said, I find poly to be just fine for regular fixed axle play, scorchers aside.

1 Like

Beware players…I use type 8 or 50/50 or slick 6 strings for expensive play only…from my experiences the advice here is right on…

Depends on the yoyo. I have Type 4, 6, 8 & 10 Cotton that I use. My a/Rt, Roadster, a Currier and a few others I use the type-6 cotton, just because the gaps are so small. Type 4 cotton in my vintage Duncan’s, and YYF Oh-Gee, very small gaps here.

All my other yoyos it just depends on what I feel the yoyo needs, if it’s got a smaller gap Type 8, larger Type 10. The longer I play fix axle I find it’s less about the string, and more about the tension of the string.

I find your comment on the type 6 interesting since everyone advised against polyester but I will give it a try.

Type 6, Type 8, Type 10 – this refers to the number of strands that make up the string?

Yes…

1 Like

Fixed axle unresponsive?